The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

What is ( or was) an "Ivory Calthorpe"?

A pre-war motorbike (thank heavens for google!)

Errmmmmm....have we dropped the "thou will not use Google" rule then????

here

Ahh Cr@p!

All laugh as the newbie falls foul of a rule in a closed thread....

Sorry! :)

Original post edited to remove my naughtyness! :)

I've thought for a while that there should be some way of indicating to newbies the few rules of this Pub Quiz thread, i.e. The question set should be of "Pub Quiz difficulty", the Question Setter will award a Ding to the correct answer, the Dinged Person gets to set the next question... and No Googling allowed.

In some of the game threads over in the Off Topic Forum they do this by simply copying the "rules" across at the start of each new page (every 50 posts).

Worth trying here, perhaps? :)

MrsB

Thinking about it now, I should probably have used my common sense (which is scarce at the best of times :) ), after all, how many pubs have internet access... :)

Quite a few now - certainly all the Wetherspoons ones near me do, and there's lots more when I look up on my hot spot finder.

The question set should be of "Pub Quiz difficulty", the Question Setter will award a Ding to the correct answer, the Dinged Person gets to set the next question... and No Googling allowed.

OK, back to Pharisee for another question, preferably one I know the answer to! :)

"Rudge" was also a famous pre-war motorcycle. Production of their own motorcycles ran from 1911 until December 1939.

Question.... In what year did they win their first Isle of Man TT race?

Don't worry - you're not the first (in the last couple of days) and you certainly won't be the last...!!! B):)

Thinking about it now, I should probably have used my common sense (which is scarce at the best of times :) ), after all, how many pubs have internet access... :)

On the other hand, with Pharisee asking the question - the answer had to be a mountain or a motorbike. B)B)

Keeping the trend going, both in guess and in number...

1914?

DING....

Cyril Pullin won the 1914 "Senior" 500cc race over 6 laps of the 37 mile mountain circuit at an average speed of 49.5mph. The bike was a Rudge 'Multi' and used a variable ratio belt drive that effectively gave 21 different ratios. Just though you'd like to know that :(

Right. Today (8th of Jan) is the anniversary of the death of Galileo Galilei who amongst other things discovered the 4 largest moons of Jupiter (three of them he found on the 7th of Jan) - for your ding, what are they called?

One of Jupiter's moons is called Io... but I have no idea if it's one of the four largest :(