The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Okay - as photography is close to my heart (the name's a giveaway) - lets test your knowledge of the landscapes of the UK and Europe.... where are these places?

2075808330_26893d3cf0.jpg

2075808248_64b1e8d92e.jpg

2075019177_7bc4841526.jpg

2075808160_fe113b8234.jpg

2075019045_8726bc49f7.jpg

2075019001_e7b84d856b.jpg

2075808004_7e67cbf0b0.jpg

Is number 3 on the Isle of Skye?

I've got a picture on my calendar that looks very similar. (it says Totternish Ridge) :huh:

(edited to add pictures as its the start of a new page)

Edited by JackieC

I've got a picture on my calendar that looks very similar. (it says Totternish Ridge) :huh:

Correct!!! I had hiked up here for sunrise that morning to be greeted with cloud and rain - not much fun - but as you can see, the weather brightened up!!!

This area is know as the Quaraing (pronounce Kerrang) and is part of the Trotternish Ridge on the Isle of Skye

Correct!!! I had hiked up here for sunrise that morning to be greeted with cloud and rain - not much fun - but as you can see, the weather brightened up!!!

This area is know as the Quaraing (pronounce Kerrang) and is part of the Trotternish Ridge on the Isle of Skye

Is No.5 Snowdonia?

I was wondering if they were all your pictures or not. They're fab, I love the Isle of Skye one. Wish I could take pictures like that.

I think there's a fair chance that 1 and 6 were taken from the same spot...

They certainly weren't taken from the same spot!!! My arms aren't that long!!

I'll give it you though, it is also Cambridge. King's College Chapel from the Backs - about 500m from Garret Hostel Bridge.

Dinget.

Is number 2 St Michaels Mount?

Is number 5 in Scotland? It looks abit like another picture on my pictorial Scotland calendar, Etive Mor.

:huh:

Ok, so number 5 is the last (and perhaps the hardest, unless you are a follower of the greats of landscape photography)...

It isn't Buachaille Etive Mor (although I'm going to take winter pics there in January, so I might revisit this then...)... which is on the edge of Rannoch Moor. The one you have probably got a picture of is Stob Dearg, which is part of Buachaille. This isn't it!

Ok, so number 5 is the last (and perhaps the hardest, unless you are a follower of the greats of landscape photography)...

It isn't Buachaille Etive Mor (although I'm going to take winter pics there in January, so I might revisit this then...)... which is on the edge of Rannoch Moor. The one you have probably got a picture of is Stob Dearg, which is part of Buachaille. This isn't it!

Yes my calendar picture is Buachaille Etive Mor. But was I correct in saying number 5 is in Scotland?

Last years pictorial scotland calendar had a picture of Ben Mor in it, is it there?

Edited by JackieC

Yes my calendar picture is Buachaille Etive Mor. But was I correct in saying number 5 is in Scotland?

Last years pictorial scotland calendar had a picture of Ben Mor in it, is it there?

It's not Ben Mor either, but it in Scotland

I think Simply Paul must be away for a few days, so I hope he doesn't mind me hi-jacking his go and setting a new question. :santa::santa:

I'm having a bad day, and I need something to cheer me up (the worst bit is when I got a new debit card from the bank and they had spelt my surname wrong and put McCrone. Thanks alot Lloyds, I'm only 36!).

Well thats my excuse. Sorry again to SP. If and when I get a future question correct and its my go I'll donate it back to Simply Paul to even the balance. :lol:

So keeping with the pictures theme, can you name these breeds of cattle

1. breed1.jpg

Dexter - Alibags

2. breed2.jpg

Kerry - Keehotee

3. breed3.jpg

Belgian Blue - Mongoose39uk

4. breed4.jpg

Brown Swiss - Dorsetgal & GeoDog

5. breed5.jpg

Highland - Dorsetgal & GeoDog

:D

Edited by JackieC

No.4 is the 'Alpine Short Horn'.

It feeds on the slopes of the Alps and because of this it is well known for having it's front legs shorter than it's back legs........it can only feed facing up the slope, if it feeds facing down it sommersaults all the way down to the bottom.......people have been killed by somersaulting Alpine Short Horns! :santa:

Thats a new one to me! I think this must be a local name for this breed, cause its not the one I know it by. But you are in the right part of the world, so I think we're talking about the same cow.

Do you know if it by any other names?

Will go and try to find an alpine shorthorn on google. :santa:

Edited to say - number 4 hasn't got any horns at all, not even short ones!!!!!!

Edited by JackieC

The alpine one, is it a Brown Swiss or Swiss Brown?

YES! Another 1/5 of a ding to Dorestgal & GeoDog.

I can't find any mention of an Alpine Shorthorn anywhere, but it does sound like one to watch out for!

(Gold star for TLHM for nearly getting it :santa: ).

1,2 and 3 to go.......................

Is 2 an Angus?

No, its not a Scottish breed

Is 1 an Aberdeen Angus?

Edit: - Just noticed Keehotee's post :santa:

No, its smaller than an Aberdeen Angus

The alpine one, is it a Brown Swiss or Swiss Brown?

Or I spose if LHM are right it could even be a Swiss Roll!!!!!!!! :santa:

Swiss Roll......LOL :lol: ....Very good

I know this is slightly off topic but No.2 looks like an old girlfriend of mine :D

Was she a rare breed too???? :DB)

(I think No 2 is very cute :D )

Not that I am bovvered (look at da face) but why does keehotee's 1/5 ding count more than the rest of us cow fanciers?... and for that matter what about poor old SP whom you cruelly usurped to launch your bovine excursion? :lol:;):(

I've thought the same thing for a little while too now. When I did my picture round poor old Nediam got 3 out of the 5 but the ding went to Zoomlens because he got the last one. I think it happened to Nediam on Zoomlens's picture round too :laughing:

I think that if you do pictures they should have points attached depending on how hard the question teller thinks the picture is to solve, the person with the most points wins! Or we keep it as it is, the last one to be solved gets the ding....but it seems a little unfair!

Not that I am bovvered (look at da face) but why does keehotee's 1/5 ding count more than the rest of us cow fanciers?... and for that matter what about poor old SP whom you cruelly usurped to launch your bovine excursion? :laughing:;):lol:

I've no idea who started the last ding sets the next question rule but its been used for the last few months now, so I kept with tradition.

As for usurping Simply Paul, I did acknowledge the fact that I was hi-jacking and was sorry to SP and offered that he could set the next question I get correct. He hasn't logged in for a few days, so to keep the thread going I set a question.

I apologise to all if I overstepped the mark. It won't happen again.

Not that I am bovvered (look at da face) but why does keehotee's 1/5 ding count more than the rest of us cow fanciers?... and for that matter what about poor old SP whom you cruelly usurped to launch your bovine excursion? :laughing:;):lol:

I've no idea who started the last ding sets the next question rule but its been used for the last few months now, so I kept with tradition.

As for usurping Simply Paul, I did acknowledge the fact that I was hi-jacking and was sorry to SP and offered that he could set the next question I get correct. He hasn't logged in for a few days, so to keep the thread going I set a question.

I apologise to all if I overstepped the mark. It won't happen again.

You don't have to apologise I for one am glad that you did post another question.

So what are we going to do then whoever gets the last question gets the Ding or do we change it?

Drat!!! obviously not enough smilies were used. It was just an idle question, not a gripe, honest. quick!!!! more smilies!!!!!

:o;):(:o:lol::sad::(:(:(:(:o;):cry::laughing:

I only came in here (I usually don't) because of a continuation of my ongoing discussion about Belgian blues with Mongers. Hey, my office is in the middle of a cowfield... you have to make your own entertainment!!

Don't be put off Jackie, keep up the good work.

(OT : I have been considering a cow themed series because I know where locally I can find Belgian blues, heelan' coos, dexters, english longhorns and belted galloways... and we know that all cachers love a cowfield! ;) )

Edited by Alibags

Not that I am bovvered (look at da face) but why does keehotee's 1/5 ding count more than the rest of us cow fanciers?... and for that matter what about poor old SP whom you cruelly usurped to launch your bovine excursion? :o;):o

I've thought the same thing for a little while too now. When I did my picture round poor old Nediam got 3 out of the 5 but the ding went to Zoomlens because he got the last one. I think it happened to Nediam on Zoomlens's picture round too :(

I think that if you do pictures they should have points attached depending on how hard the question teller thinks the picture is to solve, the person with the most points wins! Or we keep it as it is, the last one to be solved gets the ding....but it seems a little unfair!

:(:laughing::lol:

No problem! :(:(;) thanks for caring :P (but less of the "old" :(;):o:o )

I've posted quite a few multiple answer questions and usually state that the last person to answer gets the Ding. Otherwise, once someone has got the majority of the answers there's little incentive for anyone else to get the remaining ones....

I don't mind someone else getting the ding if they've only answered the last question :sad: The main thing is to keep the quiz moving along :cry: