The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

So that the Monarch didnt have to shift his backside from his seat to the finishing line.The finishing line came to him. ;)

Ding!

Close enough. In 1908 London Olympics the Marathon started outside Windsor Castle where one half of the Royal family were seated to watch the start, the other half were seated at White City stadium to see the finish, the total distance was 26 miles 385 yards and it's never been changed back!

Over to The Biffa's

So that the Monarch didnt have to shift his backside from his seat to the finishing line.The finishing line came to him. ;)

Ding!

Close enough. In 1908 London Olympics the Marathon started outside Windsor Castle where one half of the Royal family were seated to watch the start, the other half were seated at White City stadium to see the finish, the total distance was 26 miles 385 yards and it's never been changed back!

Over to The Biffa's

Wayne Hemingway, the fashion designer and founder of the Red or Dead chain, was born in Morcambe, Lancashire. What was his Father's name and occupation?

Wayne Hemingway, the fashion designer and founder of the Red or Dead chain, was born in Morcambe, Lancashire. What was his Father's name and occupation?

Isn't his father an American Red Indian? No idea what his name is though.

Richard

Mr. Geronimo Hemingway..Red Indian

Well I just Wikki'd and knew more about his dad than I did about him!

Isn't his father an American Red Indian? No idea what his name is though.

Richard

Mr. Geronimo Hemingway..Red Indian

Well I just Wikki'd and knew more about his dad than I did about him!

Not Geronimo

You can have it Paul. My answer was a pure guess based on him being red indian and the other hints. I've never heard of Billy Two Rivers.

It takes me back to Saturday afternoons on World Of Sport, with Kent Walton commentating on the wrestling in Bolton town hall. I think Billy two rivers was a goody as opposed to Mick McManus etc who were on the dark side.

I feel bad now - I didn't mean to rob anyone of a win, I just wanted clarification from the setter. To keep things moving:

What were James French's last two words before being electrocuted in the electric chair ?

Edit - I'll be offline for a while, but I'll give a ding this evening if someone's got it right. :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

I feel bad now - I didn't mean to rob anyone of a win, I just wanted clarification from the setter. To keep things moving:

What were James French's last two words before being electrocuted in the electric chair ?

Edit - I'll be offline for a while, but I'll give a ding this evening if someone's got it right. :laughing:

Frying tonight!

Hey! I just googled it...........I wasn't far off :-)

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

Sorry - being a pedant again, and worked as an Engineer Officer on the QE2 in a previous life.

Although she's now been fitted with Diesel engines, they're diesel engines because they run on the Diesel cycle, not because they use diesel fuel.

They actually run on a blend of heavy oil and something similar to DERV - so the answer would have to be the QE2 doesn't move at all on 100 gallons of diesel!

Edted to add - just spoken to a mate who's still there - the only diesel on board is for the lifeboat engines.

Edited to add again - last trip they used 2250 tonnes between bunkers - which worked out at a little over 3 metres/litre.

Edited by keehotee

Sorry - being a pedant again, and worked as an Engineer Officer on the QE2 in a previous life.

Although she's now been fitted with Diesel engines, they're diesel engines because they run on the Diesel cycle, not because they use diesel fuel.

They actually run on a blend of heavy oil and something similar to DERV - so the answer would have to be the QE2 doesn't move at all on 100 gallons of diesel!

Edted to add - just spoken to a mate who's still there - the only diesel on board is for the lifeboat engines.

Edited to add again - last trip they used 2250 tonnes between bunkers - which worked out at a little over 3 metres/litre.

DING! Guzzle

50ft or 16 Meters a gallon

DING! Guzzle

50ft or 16 Meters a gallon

It's nice to get answers without Google. I think I'll start asking cachers instead...

For really impressive dielsel engines, look here. These manage about 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour. Notice the stepladders inside the crankcase.

The Second picture down is the CN Tower in Ontario if I'm not mistaken. If I remember correctly from a trip to Canada in 97 it has a piece of glass floor that you can walk over - and see the crazy golf course round the base - all fine till some small child starts jumping up and down on it!!

MarigauxToby

1: ?

2: CN Tower

3: Eiffel Tower (assuming 7 is right :-)

4: Post Office/Telecom Tower

5: ?

6: ?

7: Blackpool Tower.

The Hancock Clan should get number 6 as they will probably see it every day for a while. It's the Sydney (aka AMP) Tower in Sydney, Australia.

DING

So you've got (collectively)

1: Blackpool Tower

2: CN Tower

3: Eiffel Tower

4: BT Tower

5: ?

6: Sydney Tower

7: ?

Edited by keehotee

I think 5 is an experimental thermal power production tower. It's basically a chimney with a greenhouse at the bottom. As air in the greenhouse (you can see the glass) heats it rises, driving a turbine in the chimney. The only big one I know of was built south of Madrid in the 80s... probably not enough for a ding- and I could be wildly wrong. I'm just guessing at the nature of the thing from the photo. I've not seen a shot of the Spanish tower.

Edit: There's a Eiffel-esque Tower in Tokyo. I know that shot's not the radio tower in Berlin (more pointy) or the tower overlooking Prague (8 sides) or any of the other European towers I can think of. How do I know so much about towers? They're a bit of a hobby.

Edited by Simply Paul
I think 5 is an experimental thermal power production tower. It's basically a chimney with a greenhouse at the bottom. As air in the greenhouse (you can see the glass) heats it rises, driving a turbine in the chimney. The only big one I know of was built south of Madrid in the 80s... probably not enough for a ding- and I could be wildly wrong. I'm just guessing at the nature of the thing from the photo. I've not seen a shot of the Spanish tower.

Edit: There's a Eiffel-esque Tower in Tokyo. I know that shot's not the radio tower in Berlin (more pointy) or the tower overlooking Prague (8 sides) or any of the other European towers I can think of. How do I know so much about towers? They're a bit of a hobby.

DING, DING

The last 2 were the Manzanares solar tower in Spain, and the Tokyo Tower.