The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

From my time in Liverpool, reading 'The ABZ of Scouse' I seem to remember it saying 20 years.

(If so, that is from 1 1/2 Preston Guilds ago!)

Ding to The Bongtwashes then. Over to you.

Guild Merchant

The right to hold a Guild Merchant was conferred upon the Burgesses of Preston by a charter of 1179; the associated Preston Guild is a civic celebration held every 20 years, with the next due to be held in 2012.

Such a celebration had been held from time to time, but at the one in 1328 it was decreed that the Guild should be held every twenty years. There were breaks in this pattern for various reasons, but an unbroken series of them were held from 1542 to 1922. The 400 year sequence was broken due to World War II, but resumed in 1952. The expression '(Once) every Preston Guild', meaning 'very infrequently', has passed into fairly common use, especially in Lancashire.

As well as concerts and other exhibitions, the main event is a series of processions through the city. There are also numerous street parties held in and around Preston.

In 1952 the emphasis was the bright new world awaiting us all after World War II. The major event held in Avenham Park had every school participating, and hundreds of children, from toddlers to teenagers, demonstrated different aspects of physical education in the natural amphitheatre of the park.

In the mid-12th century, Preston was in the hundred of Amounderness, in the deanery of Amounderness and the archdeaconry of Richmond. The name of Amounderness is more ancient than the name of any other Wapentake or hundred in the County of Lancashire, and the fort at Tulketh, strengthened by William the Conqueror, shows that the strategic importance of the area was appreciated even then.[4] The location of the city, almost exactly mid-way between Glasgow and London, led to many decisive battles being fought here, most notably during the English Civil War (1643), and the first Jacobite rebellion, brought to a conclusion by the defeat of the Jacobite army at the Battle of Preston (1715).

Served by the River Ribble, Preston was one of the principal ports of Lancashire. King Charles I demanded a quarter more ship money than from Lancaster and twice as much as from Liverpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston#Guild_Merchant

Since we are all going for Nero, and assuming no one is right yet, I will offer Vespasian as the other being the next long term caesar.

I presume this was because urine was essential in many chemical reactions. It always was the way that if you wanted to extract or react you would try and pee on it first!

Helen

Since we are all going for Nero, and assuming no one is right yet, I will offer Vespasian as the other being the next long term caesar.

I presume this was because urine was essential in many chemical reactions. It always was the way that if you wanted to extract or react you would try and pee on it first!

Helen

A DING for Helen.

Yes it was used for tanning and in laundries see wiki.

Helen

A DING for Helen.

Yes it was used for tanning and in laundries see wiki.

Now that's annoying as I've read nearly all the Falco mysteries which are set in Vespasians reign so I've probably read about it.

Edited to just point out I'm annoyed by my forgetting, not that Helen got the ding! :unsure:

Edited by kennamatic

A few guesses

A Isaac Newton: Scientist, mathematician and alchemist

B Sigmund Freud: Psychologist and grandfather of Clement.

C Alan Turing: Scientist, mathemetician and one of the founders of modern computing.

D Oscar Wild: Wit, raconteur, playright and notorious homosexual.

E VIrginia Wolf: Author, and book namesake.

F Marie Curie: Scientist and Nobel prize winner

A few guesses

A Isaac Newton: Scientist, mathematician and alchemist

B Sigmund Freud: Psychologist and grandfather of Clement.

C Alan Turing: Scientist, mathemetician and one of the founders of modern computing.

D Oscar Wild: Wit, raconteur, playright and notorious homosexual.

E VIrginia Wolf: Author, and book namesake.

F Marie Curie: Scientist and Nobel prize winner

DING! That didn't take long... Next time they will be more difficult :unsure:

Well A was a toss up between Newton and Samuel Pepys, and I wasn't at all sure of Virginia Wolf, I was certain of the others though.

Anyway here are some movie quotes, for the ding I need the movie and the character that said the line (or at a push the actor):-

1. It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
  2. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
  3. What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.
  4. Go ahead, make my day.
  5. You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.

Well A was a toss up between Newton and Samuel Pepys, and I wasn't at all sure of Virginia Wolf, I was certain of the others though.

Anyway here are some movie quotes, for the ding I need the movie and the character that said the line (or at a push the actor):-

1. It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
  2. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
  3. What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.
  4. Go ahead, make my day.
  5. You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.

ooo, ooo a question I've got some idea about!!! :ph34r:

1. Blues Brothers, Elwood Blues (Dan Ackroyd)

2. Blade Runner, Roy (Rutger Hauer)

3 Pulp Fiction, Marcellus (Ving Rhames)

4. Sudden Impact, Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood)

5 ?

Sorry I've got no idea on number 5, it must be before my time.

okey cokey

Rank these in order of area - and which is the odd one out?

First to get the final answer gets the ding - (and see if you can do it without google / wikipedia / etc... :lol: )

Peak District

South Downs

Lake District

New Forest

Snowdonia

The Broads

Dartmoor

Brecon Beacons

Pembrokeshire Coast

Northumberland

Yorkshire Dales

North York Moors

Exmoor

No idea on the sizes, but the Norfolk Broads isn't a national park
for which you get a mini-ding for getting the odd one out....

"The Broads and some surrounding land was constituted as a special area with a level of protection similar to a national park by The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act of 1988" [wikipedia]

Without using some map resource we're probably going to have to do this a bit at a time so I'll start with a guess at:-

Largest

V

V

Lake District

North York Moors

Yorkshire Dales

Peak District

South Downs

Snowdonia

Dartmoor

Brecon Beacons

Pembrokeshire Coast

Northumberland

New Forest

Exmoor

The Broads

V

V

Smallest

Edit to take out the quoted text

Edited by MartyBartfast

If we're going by guessing, there's 6.2E+09 possible combinations (OK, Permutations for you mathematical pedants out there), so it may take some time! :laughing:

In an attempt to keep this most interesting and informative thread going, I've cheated and got the answers, but I'll not post it. :(

However, I was completely wrong in almost every single aspect!

The Lavender Hill mob have got the vast majority in the right order, just got Northumberland and South Downs out of sequence.

Martybartfast has got the first and last (and couple of others) in the right place.

Can I contend that, if proposals are included, then the Dales & lakes could be bigger, as there's a proposal to add the rest of the Howgills to the dales (which might bump it up a place) and extend the lakes over the Shap fells to the M6 (stops at the A6 at the moment). That'd leave the M6 as an even narrower corridor between the lakes & dales. Or possibly it'd be a 'national park' in the same way as the broads.

The Lavender Hill mob have got the vast majority in the right order, just got Northumberland and South Downs out of sequence.

I looked at a map, Northumberland did look the largest and the South Downs slightly smaller than the broads.

Another go then!

Largest

V

V

Lake District

Northumberland

Snowdonia

Yorkshire Dales

Peak District

North York Moors

Brecon Beacons

Dartmoor

Exmoor

Pembrokeshire Coast

New Forest

South Downs

The Broads

V

V

Smallest

OK Fine Art round. Here are some of my favourite pictures/artists. For the full DING I want the artist and the name of the picture (except 6 which I don't think has a name as such). I might give some leeway on the titles, but not the artist :santa:

Pic1-medium.jpg

Picture 1

Pic2-medium.jpg

Picture 2

Pic3-medium.jpg

Picture 3

Pic4-medium.jpg

Picture 4

Pic5-medium.jpg

Picture 5

Pic6-medium.jpg

Picture 6

2) Breugel (spelling?) - Peasant's Wedding Feast

Well done to La Fifi for getting the Arnofini portrait, and to Izzy for the Peasant Wedding. I could be awkward and ask which Van Eyck and which Breugel but I think that would be a bit harsh so:-

DING to Izzy

Johannes and Pieter the Elder????? :santa::santa:

Thanks Dino. Looks like fun!

Back to the question with additional clues :-

The first purpose built playing area was constructed in 1840 although it is based on games that go back to mediaeval times.

It is played mainly in schools, notably public schools, in this country.

Paul (and I) still live in the same area where he went to school though that would probably only help if you Google.

No racquets involved