The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

dolor sit amet

Ding!

In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is standard placeholder text used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation, such as font, typography, and layout. It is a form of greeking.

Even though using "lorem ipsum" often arouses curiosity due to its resemblance to classical Latin, it is not intended to have meaning. Where text is visible in a document, people tend to focus on the textual content rather than upon overall presentation, so publishers use lorem ipsum when displaying a typeface or design in order to direct the focus to presentation. "Lorem ipsum" also approximates a typical distribution of letters in English, which helps to shift the focus to presentation.

The most common lorem ipsum text reads as follows:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Ok - what do the following have in common - apart from the odd one out - and which one is it?

Anguilla

Bangladesh

Bophuthatswana

Cyprus

Democratic Republic of Congo

Guyana

Indonesia

Ireland

Japan

Malawi

Montserrat

Nepal

New Zealand

Papua New Guinea

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Surinam

Swaziland

Uganda

US Virgin Islands

Zambia

Ok - what do the following have in common - apart from the odd one out - and which one is it?

US Virgin Islands

As both the US and British Virgin Isles are cojoined they drive on the right but using left hand drive cars!

OK so what about the Democratic Republic of the Congo where they drive on the left but mostly using right hand drive cars.

OK so what about the Democratic Republic of the Congo where they drive on the left but mostly using right hand drive cars.

DING - but for all the wrong reasons.

They drive on the right, AND right hand drive cars are now illegal.......

edited 'coz I got my left and right mixed up

Edited by keehotee

They drive on the left, but right hand drive cars are now illegal.......

Well that sounds like total chaos, but predictable! I hear that the UK will make moves towards driving on the right... next 01/04 the trucks move over, 2009 the buses... :)

OK then what do Aldwych and Down Street (both in London) and Merkland Street in Glasgow have in common? - Jango shuffles off to find an anorak :)

I know, I know.

Aldwych and Down St are closed Tube stns.

Down St is on the piccadilly - near Hyde Park(?) and the Aldwych is ... on the Aldwych. Also on the piccadilly. Aldwych station is still there and is used as a filming location. It's on a spur so trains don't run there. The Down St platforms are still there I used to try to spot them when I used the piccadilly years ago.

I've never heard of Merkland St but I guess it's an abandoned station in Glasgow.

Can we assumed by 'gumboots' you mean wellies? ;)

Wild stab in the Dark...

Boots?

No, not Boots.

Gumboots ... wellies ... well, I'm not sure of the precise difference - but rubber boots were manufactured by them at the beginning of the last century ( amongst other things ) but the boots have caught the imagination as part of the company history.

Hint - the people manufacturing said rubber footwear would have referred to them as neither wellies nor gumboots.

Edited by Team Sieni