The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

I didn't use Google stumbled on to the information while looking for their position (and no that's not it, although it's kind of relevant... so I won't post a spoiler! Fantastic factoid!! :)

I was once a drinking buddy of an erstwhile commander of HMS Belfast. At least he wasn't likely to drive it into things! See HMS Nottingham (Wikipedia). This was probably a good idea seeing how much drink he would put away.

Both museums?
Nope.

Do they both have the same co-ordinates (one east and one west)?
Nope

Is it that HMS Belfast could just about blow Scratchwood Services off the planet with it's guns 'cos it's at the limit of the guns range?
So close that I might have given you it because that is a substantial part of the answer if it hadn't been for the fact that The Lavender Hill Mob were obviously stal;king your answer for inspiration :)

As

Or its guns are pointing (trained) on Scratchwood!
Yes, DING BANG DING!

When they berthed HMS Belfast in its current position they wanted to set the guns at a target at the limit of their range to give visitors an idea of the distance they could cover. That target is London Gateway/Scratchwood. Many would say it would be a good idea if they decided to fire them some day! Not sure that they re-set them each day to take into account tidal rise though, so watch out if you live in Hendon!

Over to you Lavender Hill Mob.

Both museums?
Nope.

Do they both have the same co-ordinates (one east and one west)?
Nope

Is it that HMS Belfast could just about blow Scratchwood Services off the planet with it's guns 'cos it's at the limit of the guns range?
So close that I might have given you it because that is a substantial part of the answer if it hadn't been for the fact that The Lavender Hill Mob were obviously stal;king your answer for inspiration :)

As

Or its guns are pointing (trained) on Scratchwood!
Yes, DING BANG DING!

When they berthed HMS Belfast in its current position they wanted to set the guns at a target at the limit of their range to give visitors an idea of the distance they could cover. That target is London Gateway/Scratchwood. Many would say it would be a good idea if they decided to fire them some day! Not sure that they re-set them each day to take into account tidal rise though, so watch out if you live in Hendon!

Over to you Lavender Hill Mob.

Thanks.

MartyBartFast was my inspiration so it's only fair that they have the next question :P

OK, an easy one............in which country was Champagne invented? :)

England, in the late 16th century.

Richard

DING HIC!

In the 16th Century the English had a taste for sparkling wine and imported white still wine from France. The English added Sugar and Mollasses which gave it the bubbles. I think it was an English sailor (Admiral, Captain) that invented the extra strong glass bottle to take the pressure.

The French then caught onto the idea and started manufacturing and selling it there.

If you tell a Frenchman this he'll tell you that you're mad :P

What did Jacques Brandenberger invent, and when?

That's 2 questions!!

Was it champagne corks in the 1600's?

Nope, nothing to do with champagne, and more recent too.

Too difficult?? He invented said item in 1908, and it is food related.

Richard

OK, I cheated on this and asked a very intelligent, pub quiz, times crossword doing, know it all, anorak wearing colleague, (but only if it's right!).........Cling-Film? His brother invented the cake :laughing:

Hmmmm.....bit of post ding wiki-ing (I assume thats within the rules??), cling film (pvc) was invented in 1953, Mr Brandenberger invented cellophane

The dinged answer was the one the setter was after, just thought I would put the record straight :)

Absolutely correct, however, I feel cling film was close enough. Have a mini Dinglet. :laughing:

Richard

What did Jacques Brandenberger invent, and when?

That's 2 questions!!

Was it champagne corks in the 1600's?

Nope, nothing to do with champagne, and more recent too.

Too difficult?? He invented said item in 1908, and it is food related.

Richard

OK, I cheated on this and asked a very intelligent, pub quiz, times crossword doing, know it all, anorak wearing colleague, (but only if it's right!).........Cling-Film? His brother invented the cake :P

Never had a Brandenburger cake, is it like a battenburg? :P

I posted this one before I knew the rules of the game so hopefully it was ignored and no one answered it.

Many years ago this was a non-cryptic clue in the 'Sun' crossword .

Sea Mammal? ............2 words, 5,3

You won't believe the answer! B):)B)

Artic fox?

(as in artic sea) :D

I know the Sun don't aim high, but I hope they can spell arctic. Unless you mean a fox that's articulated...? :)

Well, I thought it was funny! :P Its been one of those days. B):DB)

As The Lavender Hill Mob said 'you won't believe the answer', I thought I'd put in an unbelievable answer. Like you said, the Sun don't aim high! :P

OK, I'll here's a more sensible go.....................BLACK CAT

(anything to avoid doing paperwork!)

I don't know whether we've already had this question, but if we have then I'm sure you'll all remember the answer and rush in with it... :D

Where would you find the following sequence of abbreviations and what does each one stand for?

TF

F

T

S

W

WNA

MrsB :D

On the side of a ship.... they're the loading lines (or Plimsoll Line for Mr Rutson). I knew what they meant once upon a time but my memory is failing me now. I'll guess at:-

Tropical Freshwater

Freshwater

Tropics

Summer

Winter

Bug*er.... Can't remember the last one.... "Warning, Near America" :D

I don't know whether we've already had this question, but if we have then I'm sure you'll all remember the answer and rush in with it... :D

Where would you find the following sequence of abbreviations and what does each one stand for?

TF

F

T

S

W

WNA

MrsB :D

On the side of a ship.... they're the loading lines (or Plimsoll Line for Mr Rutson). I knew what they meant once upon a time but my memory is failing me now. I'll guess at:-

Tropical Freshwater

Freshwater

Tropics

Summer

Winter

Bug*er.... Can't remember the last one.... "Warning, Near America" :D

...............Winter North Atlantic?