The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Where will you find Dr Tucker's big ears in the S. of England? There's a cache nearby.

Are those "Sound Mirrors"? If so, there are quite a few around the coast including the north of England but I'll go with near Dungeness :ph34r:

Ding Backatcha!

The ones near Dungeness were the ones I had in mind. The cache I had in mind was GCJYEA

The driving personality behind these was Dr William Tucker.

More info Here

1 - Evander Holyfield ;) - minstrelcat

2 - Marion Jones :D - Woodchurch One

3 - Victoria Pendleton :lol: - Woodchurch One

4 - Alain Prost :D - minstrelcat

5 - Valentino Rossi :D - Guanajuato

So the DING goes to Woodchurch One :D

Over to you...... :D

Delays here as well. :)

OK, here's an easy one:

The Batt brothers - David Alan and Stephen. What names are they better known as, and - for extra points - who are the other three people they worked with most closely in the 70's and 80's

:)

I think David was better know as Cricket, Alan as Baseball, and Stephen as Wom.

Not sure about the other three people though.

Ooh ooh - I know this one.....

David Sylvian and Steve Jansen - from Japan (the band, not the country) - worked with Mick Karn, Richi Barbieri and Rob dean in the band.!

And a big DING goes to keehotee now that I've picked myself up off the floor after having read NickPick's guess

:):lol:B)

Edited by 4 Badgers

With NickPick absent here's a caching related question.

Its big, round and goes up and down and would have helped us with our longitude readings.

What is it, and who invented it?

The Sun :(

NOT invented by Rupert Murdoch <_<

(Sorry, like NickPick I'm also from Hemel Hempstead)

Edited by The Bongtwashes

With NickPick absent here's a caching related question.

I'm not absent, merely resting (or actually unusually busy). It wasn't actually my turn to answer a question as keehotee got the ding, I just made 4 Badgers laugh with my guess. :D

(Sorry, like NickPick I'm also from Hemel Hempstead)

I'm not actually from Hemel, I just happen to live there (although I suppose after 9 years of living there, I will shortly inevitably become 'from' Hemel) :mad:

(Tony from Watford / Berkhamsted)

Watford / Berko - that means that on average, you're from Hemel Hempstead aswell! :mad:

Edited by NickPick

Its the ball on top of the Greenwich observatory which was/is lowered on the hour so that shipmasters on the Thames could set their watches. No idea who invented it but I'll guess Hershel (?) the astronomer.

Wasn't Harrisons Chronometer instrumental (pardon the pun) in the calculation of Longitude and it was necessary to know the exact time for it to be effective, hence the ball at Greenwich on the Prime Meridian being dropped ... but I can;t recall if it drops at 12 noon or 1pm

Its the ball on top of the Greenwich observatory which was/is lowered on the hour so that shipmasters on the Thames could set their watches. No idea who invented it but I'll guess Hershel (?) the astronomer.

I'll give Marty a DING for that.

Its called a Time Ball and was invented by Robert Wauchope later to be an Admiral back in 1833. There are around 60 in the world. He went onto meet and become a friend of Herschel.

An interesting antidote is that in 1834 his brother-in-law, Admiral Patrick Campbell, invited him to be his flag captain. Wauchope accepted on the condition that no prostitutes were to be allowed on board the ship. His insistence on this resulted in him being summoned before Sir Thomas Hardy the First Sea Lord, who ordered him to resign his commission.

Ah, the time clue might help. (Which it's why it's a clue! :) ).

Is it HMS Ark Royal, I think I saw it had come into the POol of London to mark the 25th anniversary of The Falklands War.

DING

It is indeed HMS Ark Royal, although it's moored up at Greenwich, and not in the pool. BTW they had to tow it in backwards from the Millenium Dome, 'cos that's the closest spot where the river is wide enough to turn it round!

Time for a bit of culture.

In which opera would you find;

Sarastro, Monostatos, The Queen of the Night and Papageno?

Die Zauberflute, Mozart?

A greatly operatic DING to Eckington.

Or for those who prefer the title in English, The Magic Flute.

..... a little wander along very similar lines, GEOGRAPHICALLY where might one encounter Wilfred Shadbolt, Colonel Fairfax and Jack Point, and why might you find them there?