The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Baz

Would you like to elucidate a bit further?

Oh, OK then, how about "types of fog"? :blink: Advection, Ground, Sea and Hail.

Oh - look Gaz beat me to it...!

I'll have to give a Ding to milvus-milvus as he did say Pea souper right from the start. (sorry Gaz)

Radiation or Ground fog

Radiation fog is formed on clear, still nights when the ground loses heat by radiation, and cools.

Advection fog

Advection fog is formed when very mild moist air moves over a cold ground.

Hill fog

Hill fog or upslope fog, as its name implies, is formed as mild moist air is forced to ascend a hill or mountain range.

Sea fog

Some coastal regions of the British Isles suffer from 'sea fog' which forms when moist air is cooled to saturation point by travelling over a cooler sea.

Steam fog

'Steam fog' is sometimes seen rising from the ground after a shower. If the ground is warm, the water from the shower may evaporate.

Ice or Freezing fog

Ice / Freezing fog is composed of supercooled water droplets (i.e. ones which remain liquid even though the temperature is below freezing-point)

So now you know.

Not heard it but I did overhear people on the train talking about Kate Bush's new album last year (?), saying there was a song about pi.

Whether she actually sings "Three point one four one five nine ..." I don't know, but that's my answer. "Heeethcleeeef It's three-a point four-a one five nine. Two si-hihihix five ...."

DING to Team Sieni! :lol:

Incidentally, Kate is from my home town of Bexleyheath in Kent...

And her house, or one of them, is very close to a motorway mayhem cache!

Anyway, this is exciting (for me, at least) as I've not set a question on here before. So here goes:

What was special about the Oscars between and 1964 and 1996 that ultimately brought us all together?

What was special about the Oscars between and 1964 and 1996 that ultimately brought us all together?

Nice question, I suspect the Forester will be along soon to give you the answer. I'm keeping quiet, just ticking away in the background. Just like to say though that I'm not sure if one of those big orange boxes would have brought us together, especially given the time it took to work out the answer.

Anyway thanks for this blast from the past question. ;):anibad:

It became available as a satellite broadcast.

No idea what therefore happened after 1996 though.

Or a particular satellite was then used for the military use of their own gps's

Weellll.... in a way that's getting close to the answer. But it is a bit of a sneaky trick question

Edited by Team Sieni

Well therefore the 'Oscars' are a particular type/class of satellite dedicated to communications and hence our total dependence on their very existence. And nothing to do with a little ceremony that takes place in Hollywood every spring.

Well therefore the 'Oscars' are a particular type/class of satellite dedicated to communications and hence our total dependence on their very existence. And nothing to do with a little ceremony that takes place in Hollywood every spring.

Getting there!

Ding to 2202! You won't get closer without googling.

The forerunner of the Navstar GPS satellites was a system called Transit that was used for navigation between the above dates (athough some of the satellites are still up there beeping). The main class of satellites used by Transit were Oscars. (There were also some called Novas, but they were in the minority).

The Oscars led to Navstar Gps that ultimately brought us together as geocachers.

What late 20C and early 21C successful cult iconic consumerable was said to have been sold to its commissioning bosses as 'costing 50% of X but having a 50% greater profit margin than X'?

(where X was a similar product sold by said producer)

ipod?

A noble guess but the Ipod hit the streets in October 2001 so no.

So its clue time,

I could have added the following:-

What late 20C and early 21C very successful, cult, iconic and rather expensive consumerable, was said to have been sold to its commissioning bosses as 'costing 50% of X but having a 50% greater profit margin than X'?

Although very British in its 'genes' was not of these shores

This btw hit the streets around 1989

ipod?

A noble guess but the Ipod hit the streets in October 2001 so no.

So its clue time,

I could have added the following:-

What late 20C and early 21C very successful, cult, iconic and rather expensive consumerable, was said to have been sold to its commissioning bosses as 'costing 50% of X but having a 50% greater profit margin than X'?

Although very British in its 'genes' was not of these shores

This btw hit the streets around 1989

DVD Vs VHS tapes?

Is it some kind of technology?

Lisa

Technology is always present, but this did not represent a technological advance, it did however make the best use of the technology available to it and has improved with it over the years.

It is good proof of the KISS principle which states that simplicity in design should be a key goal.

("Keep It Simple, Stupid")

As I have said before it is not a A vs B answer.

Just an A

And one manufacturer only

So, to recap, we are looking for A.

A cost 50% of X but had a 50% greater profit margin than X.

Both A and X produced by same manufacturer.

A was conceived by a US Journalist in '76, and expanded upon in '81 at the request of someone working for X.

(Is X a product or a corporation?)

We're not looking for X, just A ... but presumably we'll know X when we get A.

A is/was an expensive consumable, (but may be durable), and is cult and iconic of late C20, early C21.

Hmmm :blink: I have a suspicion that this is blinking obvious! So I'll never get it! :)

I'm trying to imagine 2202 going caching in a C5. :ph34r:

So am I with a 6'3" frame!

One of the stupidest concepts known to man, what Clive Sinclair was on at the time beggars beleif.

At least what I am after has double the seating capacity.

Mazda Mx5?

What, like this one?

MX5.JPG

Its introduction was a significant development in the motor car industry that revived the roadster segment of sports cars, with other companies promptly introducing roadsters to their model ranges, such as the MG F, and the third-generation Toyota MR2.

In 1976, Bob Hall, a journalist at Motor Trend magazine an expert in Japanese cars and fluent in the language, met Kenichi Yamamoto, head of Research and Development at Mazda. Yamamoto asked Hall what kind of car Mazda should make in the future:

"I babbled [...] how the [...] simple, bugs-in-the-teeth, wind-in-the-hair, classically-British sports car doesn't exist anymore. I told Mr. Yamamoto that somebody should build one [...] inexpensive roadster."

As of 2007, the MX-5 is the world's best-selling sports car, with over 800,000 cars sold

So, its a big DING to Nediam (god, I did not think it would last this long!)