The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ah.. as an amateur entamologist.....

Grasshoppers (female) 'sing' by rubbing their legs against their bodies.

Crickets (male) 'sing' by rubbing their wings together.

Can't think of a third difference other than grasshoppers grow considerably bigger than crickets - I've caught grasshoppers in Africa that are 5 inches or more in length!

Chris

Can't think of a third difference other than grasshoppers grow considerably bigger than crickets - I've caught grasshoppers in Africa that are 5 inches or more in length!

Chris

and you can't light a cig with a grasshopper.

I'll get me coat..................

...well you can, but you need to light the grasshopper first... :)

Ah.. as an amateur entamologist.....

Grasshoppers (female) 'sing' by rubbing their legs against their bodies.

Crickets (male) 'sing' by rubbing their wings together.

Chris

Well, strictly, I'd have put that as one difference (they sing differently). I didn't know it was female grasshoppers that sang - I though both males sang.

since this seems to be taking a long time, I'll give some clues to the differences I was thinking of:

How do they tell that others are singing?

When do they sing?

When do they sing?

Crickets are nocturnal - Grasshoppers are out in the day.

How do they tell that others are singing?

Is it something to do with "ears" - I think Grasshoppers have their ears on the knees! :laughing: (thanks QI)

Also, can crickets fly? I think grasshoppers can but not sure about crickets.

Hang on.... you wanted 3 difference: I gave them as, size (grasshoppers are bigger). they produce their songs differently (wings or legs) and in the two species the songs are produced by different sexes.....

I can give you another one that generally applies to most species of grasshopper and cricket, that grasshopper nympths have a shorter number of instars before becoming adults than crickets, hence grasshoppers (locust) are more of a pet to crops, they grow quicker!!

Chris

Hang on.... you wanted 3 difference: I gave them as, size (grasshoppers are bigger). they produce their songs differently (wings or legs) and in the two species the songs are produced by different sexes.....

I can give you another one that generally applies to most species of grasshopper and cricket, that grasshopper nympths have a shorter number of instars before becoming adults than crickets, hence grasshoppers (locust) are more of a pet to crops, they grow quicker!!

Chris

OK, this just goes to show that I should know more about the subject before setting a question. I also missed the bit about the sexes being different.

I'll give Chris Blorenge (that name always puts me in mind of a Bond villain) the ding, as I've learnt some more things.

The things I was expecting were the nocturnal/diurnal, the position of the 'ears'/tympanal organs, and that crickets either don't have wings or just have stumps and don't fly.

Your go Chris.

Mole crickets can fly! Record is 8Km!! I've not seen one do it, but caught many in China - yes, I've lived around the world a bit and collected/photgraphed/kept as pets a lot of strange insects and other arthopods. Current pet is a very large emporer scorpion my son christened 'Vader'..... Sorry!

Anyway to a question: Fans of Google Earth will know that many strange things have appeared on the pictures around the world. In the United Kingdom the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Avro Lancaster PA474 was caught flying over Huntingdon.....Don't believe me? Go and look! But did you know that ANOTHER Lancaster bomber appears in Google Earth on the UK pictures? It's not the BBMF Lancaster PA474 but a different one. So my question is..... where is this Lancaster?

If you are an aircraft spotter like me you'll probably get it quickly.

Oh by the way, Google this one all you like!!

Chris

Which Lake Victoria? Oz or Africa?

And if its the African one, then Google Earth shows that both the Lake and the Amazon have islands and clouds + blooms of algae........

Chris

African one :(

Nope not blooms of algae, clouds or islands.

Next hint:- Co-ords :anicute:

What can you find in both Lake Victoria and the mouth of the Amazon river?

The letter A

:anicute::anicute::unsure::ph34r:

.....................you missed one:

What can you find in both Lake Victoria and the mouth of the AmAzon river?

:lol::(:anibad::ph34r::lol::lol:

I didn't miss it, the GREEN one isn't at the mouth (ie the start) of "AMAZON". Sorry, crossword solver being pedantic. :lol:

OK, another ding......Hmm

Whats the connection....

Mikado, Pacific, Mogul, Atlantic

Chris

Would they all be classes of Steam Locomotve, per chance? I know the last three are...

Pete

It isn't classes of steam locomotive exactly.... but certainly something to do with steam locos. You are close!

Chris

OK, another ding......Hmm

Whats the connection....

Mikado, Pacific, Mogul, Atlantic

Chris

Would they all be classes of Steam Locomotve, per chance? I know the last three are...

Pete

It isn't classes of steam locomotive exactly.... but certainly something to do with steam locos. You are close!

Chris

Hmm: thinks back to Hornby trainset days....how about numbers/arrangement of wheels? Were Atlantics 4-4-2 and the others similarly a specific wheel configuration?

Pete

Wow - my first ding!

Another more topical connection: What links Jonny Wilkinson, Ronnie Barker, Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe and Santa Claus?

Pete

None are their real names?

(If its right, you carry on Mrs B as i'm off for the weekend!)

Sorry, no ....

OK, which TV show comedies are set at the following addresses:

1) Oil Drum Lane

2) 23 Meteor Street

3) Nelson Mandela House

4) Whitbury-Newtown Leisure Centre

The person to get the last one gets the Ding!

Hmm...

1) Steptoe & Son?

2) My Hero? (Pure Guess)

3) Only Fools & Horses?

4) The Brittas Empire?

OK, which TV show comedies are set at the following addresses:

1) Oil Drum Lane

2) 23 Meteor Street

3) Nelson Mandela House

4) Whitbury-Newtown Leisure Centre

The person to get the last one gets the Ding!

Hmm...

1) Steptoe & Son?

2) My Hero? (Pure Guess)

3) Only Fools & Horses?

4) The Brittas Empire?

All right apart from number 2, so which comedy is set at 23 Meteor Street?