The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Thanks - My A-level maths teacher drilled into us "always show your working" and I still can't help it!

Next question - What were the full names of Doctor Who's original 3 companions back in 1963 (one of the names is an alias)?

Ok ,since no-one has even guessed at this after 24 hrs, you can start Googling.................................. NOW!!!

Well I knew Susan, his 'niece' but here they are in full:

Susan Foreman (Carole Anne Ford)

The First Doctor's grandaughter.

Barbara Wright (Jacqueline Hill)

A sixties schoolteacher whisked into history by the First Doctor.

Ian Chesterton (William Russell)

The First Doctor's action man

Must get some work don now.....

I'll go with Patrick McNee (I think thats the right name, I'm a wee bit young!) in the Prisoner - if its right then thanks to Nick!! hehe

edit to say wrong paddy (after asking my colleague here...)! McGoohan, but not sure of his 'number'... maybe Six?

You get :

D for Patrick

I for The Prisoner

N for McGoohan

G for six

You got there eventually PP, so over to you

Edited by MartyBartfast

That would be Keats :D

an olde englishe dinge for the T-girls there!

I think I knew that from a TV programme last year...

Continuing the theme of epitaphs: what is written on the grave of Ludolph van Ceulen? A description will suffice B)

Helen

Edited by T-girls

"here lies one who's name was writ in water"?

No idea, but you just wait till Mary see's(sic) that grammar ;-)

not my fault Ian! blame the creator!

Oh, and no correct answers so far!

Tis your fault! Look:

keats.jpg

Compare:

Your question: "who's"

The gravestone: "whose"

Edited by rutson

"here lies one who's name was writ in water"?

No idea, but you just wait till Mary see's(sic) that grammar ;-)

not my fault Ian! blame the creator!

Oh, and no correct answers so far!

Tis your fault! Look:

keats.jpg

Compare:

Your question: "who's"

The gravestone: "whose"

errrm, errrrm, that's a fake m'lud!

mutter mutter mutter....

Ding to Simply Paul (I think)... You can argue amongst yourselves :P

Ludolph van Ceulen was a German mathematician who moved to the Netherlands to teach fencing and become a Maths professor. His most famous contribution was calculating pi, the ratio between circumference and diameter of a circle, to 35 decimal places. This was placed on his tombstone as an epitaph. If I was being really picky I would have asked how may decimal places but I am feeling kindhearted... and I want to go to bed :)

Over to Paul...

Helen

Edited by T-girls

:D:blink: Here...50°43.082'N, 2°24.619'W Link to cache

Wadders

I'd like to give you a ding, but nah, I am afraid I need all the relevant information. I guess so far, you have part of the question correct.

Well I know that his heart was buried in Dorset, I didn't know where but I'll steal Wadders idea and say

Stinsford/Kingston Maurward, which is where the above cache is. The rest of him was buried in Westminster Abbey.

:D:blink: Here...50°43.082'N, 2°24.619'W Link to cache

Wadders

I'd like to give you a ding, but nah, I am afraid I need all the relevant information. I guess so far, you have part of the question correct.

Well I know that his heart was buried in Dorset, I didn't know where but I'll steal Wadders idea and say

Stinsford/Kingston Maurward, which is where the above cache is. The rest of him was buried in Westminster Abbey.

DING DONG! Well done Marty. Correct, he wanted to be buried next to his first wife Emma at Stinsford, (just outside Dorchester, Dorset) and the compromise was his heart is buried at Stinsford, and the rest of him is in Poets Corner, Westminster Abbey.

As Wadders seems to be out caching I'll jump back in:

When cycling home from the station of an evening I pass an establishment showing the following on the door,

MING

OL

what is the establishment in question? and explain how you arrived at your conclusion.

It's a Swimming Pool, and the two words are written accross a double set of doors, one of which is open, so the other door would say:

SWIM

PO

edit: the bit above is supposed to be justified, but although I've typed in 6 spaces to line the right margin up, it keeps getting left justified!

Edited by NickPick

As Wadders seems to be out caching I'll jump back in:

When cycling home from the station of an evening I pass an establishment showing the following on the door,

MING

OL

what is the establishment in question? and explain how you arrived at your conclusion.

It's a Swimming Pool, and the two words are written accross a double set of doors, one of which is open, so the other door would say:

SWIM

PO

edit: the bit above is supposed to be justified, but although I've typed in 6 spaces to line the right margin up, it keeps getting left justified!

DING

It is indeed, I thought that would last a little bit longer... FWIW I've never seen the sign saying:

SWI

..PO

Edited by MartyBartfast