The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well according to their website these articles are to be found at the Royal Engineers Museum and Library, which is in Gillingham, Kent

If this is right then the DING should go to Forrester 'cos he's aready said it!

Saying that the Royal Engineers is the same as the REME is like saying Skoda is the same as rolls royce coz they are both cars!!!!!!!!

THE ANSWER IS NOT THE REME MUESEUM WHEREVER IN THE COUNTRY IT IS, I DO THINK THAT KEV SHOULD HAVE CREDIT FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER EVEN THOUGH IT WAS NOT MADE CLEAR "REM"

BTW THE ROYAL ENGINEERS GAVE BIRTH TO THE GOD dadgum REME - BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!

Sir Cloudesley managed to wreck his ship the "Association" (and a good portion of the British fleet) off the Isles of Scilly.

Resulting in the Admiralty flinging up their arms in horror and saying, "We must solve the problem of accurately determining longitude!" - Leading to Mr Harrison and his fabulous chronometers.

(combined Blorenge effort)

Spot on.

Determining Latitude by astronav is trivially simple. Harrison's genius was in realising that to determine Longitude really does require a very accurate clock and that the key to navigation was having a clock which ticks very precisely.

Your GPSr is totally dependent upon the extremely accurate clocks in the satellites in order to calculate not only Longititude but also Latitude and height.

B1gbear,

I'd already conceded to CurryKev's answer which was not only more accurate than mine but was much much quicker. His was also clearly his own efforts wheras mine was a phone a friend job.

The reason why I stepped in to provide a new question was simply that the game has temporarily stalled and a girl and a Roman Emperor in the lower lefthand corner of Englandshire were getting impatient for the game to get going again.

The confusion about the different types of Military Engineer was entirely my own. I knew my miltary advisor on the question to be from REME and when he referred to the "Engineer's museum" I presumed he was talking about his own form of Engineer. Having got his initial location wrong, he still referred to the amended museum location, the one in Gillingham, as the "Engineers' Museum". It was I who conflated the two parts of his answer into one.

To keep the game rolling on, I guess either CurryKev or the Blorenges should ask the next question.

I owe CurryKev a dinged Q and will offer him a turn next time I win a question to make up for having stepped in on this one.

:(B)

That would be an interesting meal combo... but no, not food related.

The real name of The City of Brotherly Love is derived from the Greek for Brotherly Love. So it's "after the Greek for brotherly love"

The 2008 Olympics are after the 2004 Olympics, and so are after the Greek.

Dunno about the last one. There is no love lost between the government of the home of the cat and the Greek government, so they could be said to be "after the Greeks"

B1gbear,

I'd already conceded to CurryKev's answer which was not only more accurate than mine but was much much quicker. His was also clearly his own efforts wheras mine was a phone a friend job.

The reason why I stepped in to provide a new question was simply that the game has temporarily stalled and a girl and a Roman Emperor in the lower lefthand corner of Englandshire were getting impatient for the game to get going again.

The confusion about the different types of Military Engineer was entirely my own. I knew my miltary advisor on the question to be from REME and when he referred to the "Engineer's museum" I presumed he was talking about his own form of Engineer. Having got his initial location wrong, he still referred to the amended museum location, the one in Gillingham, as the "Engineers' Museum". It was I who conflated the two parts of his answer into one.

To keep the game rolling on, I guess either CurryKev or the Blorenges should ask the next question.

I owe CurryKev a dinged Q and will offer him a turn next time I win a question to make up for having stepped in on this one.

Thanks for thr reply, I know how the confusuion took place, I was just waiting for Kev to clarify his answer before the obvious pile of questions "whats the REM" ayway no hard feelings it just that us military types get a bit worked up about our regimental/corps history - consider rant closed

DM is Duty Manager....

RACK is to do with the rate you charge....a RACK rate is normally the rate you would TRY to charge someone...exclusive of breakfast and dinner...a room only rate?

and the other......lemme think - doh! already answered

Bearing in mind I RARELY look in on the quiz cos I am not that clever....I manged to failed to get there in time again!

BTW the list of these abbreviations in hotels goes on forever

Edited by The Morgan Mob

Well done all, Rack (rate) is considered the fair price for the hotel room but only muggs pay that rate. If you can find out what a hotels Rack rate is aim to pay about 80% of it, also known as Leisure rate.

DM= Duty Manager, they guy that takes all the crap and sorts all the problems and complaints also plays host in the lobby at busy times. In smaller hotels it is normal for department heads to take it in turns to play DM but some larger ones have a team of them known as guest relations.

M&PD = Meetings and Private dinning or Conference and Banqueting. If you have every been to a function in a hotel you would of been dealt with by this department.

On to the next one!

Before Rutson & The Morgan Mob ask one I'll nip in with a footie question since it's semi final week...

Who were the last team to win the Champions League/European Cup two years in a row and in which years did this feat occur?

No looking it up!

Glory Glory!

Seasider

Before Rutson & The Morgan Mob ask one I'll nip in with a footie question since it's semi final week...

Who were the last team to win the Champions League/European Cup two years in a row and in which years did this feat occur?

No looking it up!

Glory Glory!

Seasider

Nope! ;)

The 70's was the decade when teams did manage to dominate...

71,72,73 Ajax

74,75,76 Bayern Munich

77,78 Liverpool

79,80 Notts Forest

But it has been won back to back only once in the 26 years since then....

Cheers! ;)

Seasider

Edited by Seasider