The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Oh! By "first half of the 1900's" you meant "post 1926", I wish people would be clearer :-$
Which half of the 1900s is 1926 in then?
(Technically 'The 1900's' (sic) ran from Jan 1st 1900 to Dec 31st 1909. 1926 is in the 1920s. Now, if you'd have said the first half of the 20th century, that've been fine...)
Oh! By "first half of the 1900's" you meant "post 1926", I wish people would be clearer :-$
Which half of the 1900s is 1926 in then?
(Technically 'The 1900's' (sic) ran from Jan 1st 1900 to Dec 31st 1909. 1926 is in the 1920s. Now, if you'd have said the first half of the 20th century, that've been fine...)

Of course. I've just learnt / re-learnt something for today!

Sorry slow popping back in!

Here's the question?

"What's Dr Seuss' full name and which year did he first get published?"

'Thinking caps on'

The cap is half on! I'll try this Theodor Seuss Geisel and his first book was published in 1937, now did you mean his first book or his first work to be published?

My stude now says that his former Regiment's museum is in Gillingham, not Berkshire.Heidbanger.gif

Berkshire -> Kent. Not much difference!

Gawd'elp us! The guy is ex-REME and is a newly qualified nav instructor in Mobility Troop of a special forces unit.

If my stude's wrong again I shall take the pi§§ out of him mercilessly.

If my stude's right, I shall give way to CurryKev as I think he meant Royal Engineers Museum when he answered "REM".

My stude now says that his former Regiment's museum is in Gillingham, not Berkshire.Heidbanger.gif

Berkshire -> Kent. Not much difference!

Gawd'elp us! The guy is ex-REME and is a newly qualified nav instructor in Mobility Troop of a special forces unit.

If my stude's wrong again I shall take the pi§§ out of him mercilessly.

If my stude's right, I shall give way to CurryKev as I think he meant Royal Engineers Museum when he answered "REM".

just waiting for kev to carify his answer, and hopefully award a ding to someone!! BTW if I hide a cache in Kent and asked your student to look for it in Berkshire would that wind him up???

if I hide a cache in Kent and asked your student to look for it in Berkshire would that wind him up???

Nope, but if any of my studes ever made as big a gaffe as that in the field, it sure as he11 would wind me up!

He'd have failed the course and perhaps been returned to the REME.

Oh, the horror, the horror.

Smee? OK.

The delightfully named Sir Cloudesley Shovel is best remembered for what event?

What world-changing endeavour resulted?

Sir Cloudesley managed to wreck his ship the "Association" (and a good portion of the British fleet) off the Isles of Scilly.

Resulting in the Admiralty flinging up their arms in horror and saying, "We must solve the problem of accurately determining longitude!" - Leading to Mr Harrison and his fabulous chronometers.

(combined Blorenge effort)