Archive Travel Bugs / Geocoins

GeoCRAt

I would like to see a feature on the website whereby TB's / geocoins can be archived should it be obvious that they are no longer in the specified cache.

For example, Travel Bug Number TB4EE8 (LarsThorwald's Space Shuttle) is no longer in Fossil Rock (Cache GCH8FX) :huh: . There does not seem to be a way for the TB owner to remove the TB from the cache, and neither is there an option for a cacher to report that the TB needs to be archived (other than through a cache note, but that does not remove it from the cache contents).

I would like the option added whereby the owner can be notified that the TB / coin is gone, allowing him / her to archive it, or for cachers to notify geocaching admin that the TB / coin is gone so that they can archive it. In that way cachers will not set off in hope of finding a TB / coin that is no longer in the cache.

Thanks,

:smile:

GeoCRAt.

TB owners DO have the ability to move their TBs/Coins to a location status of Unknown, which removes it from the cache. Cache Owners also have this ability if they know a TB/Coin is no longer in their cache.

Having read other posts relevant to this topic I can see that this option is available under "Trackable Item Owner Actions". Also I see that as a cache owner I can mark an item as missing if it is no longer in a cache that I own.

However, I still believe that there should be a way of informing the owner that the TB is missing, rather than just posting a note to the cache. Cachers should be given the option to mark the TB as missing, just as they can log a "Did Not Find" for a cache. Posting a note to the TB site will inform the owner, but I doubt many people will do this in addition to noting in the cache log that the TB is missing. Requesting the owner to mark the TB as missing may also not yield the desired result.

THANKS.

Cachers should be given the option to mark the TB as missing, just as they can log a "Did Not Find" for a cache.

There are bunches of people with nothing better to do than to look for TB code numbers (disclosed in pictures or logs). Then, they move these to caches in Antarctica just for kicks. So, there would be chaos if just anyone could mark a bug or coin missing.

"Ooooh, a geocoin I want. I'll just mark it missing until I can visit that cache."

"I can't stand Cacher X. I see one of his travel bugs got dropped off in the "Walk in the Park" cache. Poof! Not any more!"

The option for a cache owner, trackable owner or site volunteer to mark a trackable item "missing" is an adequate but underutilized solution.

Cachers should be given the option to mark the TB as missing, just as they can log a "Did Not Find" for a cache.

There are bunches of people with nothing better to do than to look for TB code numbers (disclosed in pictures or logs). Then, they move these to caches in Antarctica just for kicks. So, there would be chaos if just anyone could mark a bug or coin missing.

"Ooooh, a geocoin I want. I'll just mark it missing until I can visit that cache."

"I can't stand Cacher X. I see one of his travel bugs got dropped off in the "Walk in the Park" cache. Poof! Not any more!"

The option for a cache owner, trackable owner or site volunteer to mark a trackable item "missing" is an adequate but underutilized solution.

Some GREAT points raised - some that I did not consider. :) I suppose then it is best to retain the status quo. Thanks for the insight. :laughing: