Travel Bug Locked?

Team.TFTC

Discovered via Cache Maniacs Web Pod Cast.

I'd say since it appears you are allowing people to log the TB without ever having found or seen it you are in violation of the no virtual bugs rules. But that's just my guess.

You'll need to send an email to gc.com for a formal answer.

I'd say since it appears you are allowing people to log the TB without ever having found or seen it you are in violation of the no virtual bugs rules. But that's just my guess.

BlueDeuce you mean you can't do that? :laughing: Boy do I know of some coins that are like that. People log them from multiple states the same day. :P I better just stop there. :laughing::laughing:

BlueDeuce you mean you can't do that? :P Boy do I know of some coins that are like that. People log them from multiple states the same day. :laughing: I better just stop there. :laughing::laughing:

I don't set the guidelines or decide when to enforce them.

I can't say no news is good news. So, when you get on their radar....well.

Edited by BlueDeuce

This Thread "How To Log A Travel Bug or Geocoin, A PRIMER IN TRAVEL BUG LOGGING"

is pinned at the top by TPTB at Groundspeak and lists all TB rules & Regs.

"AND THIS MOST IMPORTANT ONE:

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and youlog it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play."

If you are aware of others it happens; but as soon as TPTB are made aware of the abuse it becomes locked. My advice is to send Groundspeak an apology email and beg for your TB to be unlocked when you promise to abide by the rules.

Edited by chstress53

The OP was advised of the path he was going down, with a recommendation that he just set the bug loose for normal travel. Yet, the virtual logs continued to flow in. Had they stopped, there would've been no need to lock the trackable.

I have little sympathy.

The OP was advised of the path he was going down, with a recommendation that he just set the bug loose for normal travel. Yet, the virtual logs continued to flow in. Had they stopped, there would've been no need to lock the trackable.

I have little sympathy.

And now you know the rest of the story. :laughing::laughing:

I looked all over but couldnt find this "rule"

Could you point me in that direction..?

I think it falls under the "Its obvious you shouldn't do that so it's not written anywhere" rule.

Also, I've heard you can get locked ones unlocked if you contact gc.com and ask to have it unlocked (and of course stop it being virtual also).

Hmm. Didn't take long to figure out. Bass_Chaz is the guy from the infamous Portsmouth, N.H. incident a month or two ago, and the TB is meant to educate cachers on how to not hide a cache. I guess you're still learning BC! I really do believe a virtual TB being a no-no is a rather obscure "rule" that the masses don't know about though. :laughing: Nice Podcast interview(s). I'm sure you could get it unlocked if you contacted TPTB, and released as a regular traveling TB. Heck, why not release several, named #1, #2, #3, etc.. to get the message out?

Hey I don't think this bug should have been locked at all!

I was at THE event last month...the bug is real...it was there...I took photos of it....The bug even has a log book inside that I signed.

I dont see how this can be mistaken for a "virtual Bug".....all the people I see that have logged this bug WERE AT THE EVENT!!!!!!! They saw the bug and discovered it!

Um its not like he posted the TB number on a web site or the bug page...if he did....well that is wrong but I dont see it.

Oh I think you shared the TB number on the PodCast....didnt you?? Well yup I guess that is where you went wrong. Maybe the podcaster show should buy you a new TB tag LOL

But honestly...I think this is your SECOND lesson learned lol This geocaching is a whole learning experience isnt it? Dont assume anything...your probably wrong LOL

Edited by WeatherednBoston

In addition to the Podcacher logging invitation, the bug owner also went around to local geocaching forums, posting threads with instructions on how cachers in that area could log his bug. I saw one of those threads on a forum that I follow. I politely encouraged the owner to set the TB loose in a cache. When there was no response, and when I continued to see logs from people far away from New England, I was *obligated* to report the virtual TB. A less forgiving person would have reported it immediately.

In addition to the Podcacher logging invitation, the bug owner also went around to local geocaching forums, posting threads with instructions on how cachers in that area could log his bug. I saw one of those threads on a forum that I follow. I politely encouraged the owner to set the TB loose in a cache. When there was no response, and when I continued to see logs from people far away from New England, I was *obligated* to report the virtual TB. A less forgiving person would have reported it immediately.

My wife (Geohedgehog) discovered this coin in a local cache last week. Today it got locked (I'm guessing because someone mentioned it was in a PodCache). It sent her a deletion noticed, and no longer shows up in her trackables as found.

Why should somebody who legitamitely discovered it have to be punished by having it removed from her trackable page?

Why should somebody who legitimately discovered it have to be punished by having it removed from her trackable page?

When a traveler is locked down for being offered for virtual logging, it is my understanding that gc.com will unlock it only after the owner no longer allows virtual logging and all previous virtual logs are removed.

I don't know the full details but it appears that the coin had been sitting in a particular cache and anyone who did not post a log on the cache was considered suspect by the coin owner. (Not sure how else they can determine who found it for real and who didn't. )

I think you should be talking to the coin owner about legitimate finds and practices, and the repercussions of such conduct.

I have a TB that I try to edit and nothing is now happening. I tried to delete a log and it said it did. 4hrs later and the log is still there and when I click on view log when it comes up it says archieved. Plus I can not back date anything. May be I am expecting it to appear to quick. Any suggestions. TB is ( T B 1 F 7 G 8)

All in all I've waited at least 1 hr for everything to get done. I can still post pictures though.

Dardevle