Am i wrong for being upset?

Checked the email and found a new cache 6 miles from home tonight. It was past 9pm and plenty dark outside.

The new cache was GC11T2J

The title is "Miller's City View Park". We expected we were going to a park. (Where would i get that idea?) After reading the description we thought it was in a park next to a private park. Well, we got there. It was in a not so good area of town. The park, was someones yard. The coords took us to a gulley below a large rainwater pipe, about 20 feet from the road. Not a park at all. In fact, i dont see how anyone would even have permission for this cache.

It was an a hill where rainwater washed down. After realizing where we were and the time of night, we quickly left. There were houses all around and it would look awful strange, day or night for anyone to be in this area.

We were a bit upset. I just dont get it. Am i just too cranky?

No, i didnt think to. The description does say:

The cache is near a "PRIVATE PARK" please respect all privacy signs in the area.

That park was someones yard with a sign that said Miller park Private. Their name must be Miller.

I guess i will email them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I reviewed this cache. It's hidden in a fairly standard hiding place on public property. It's marketed by the owner as having the purpose of showing a nice view of the city. And yes, I looked at Google Earth and saw there were residences nearby. If it meets the guidelines, press the "publish" button.

:smile:

I'm not an FTF hound by any definition, but I do occasionally go on the hunt for one if it's close and I see the listing pop up. One of the things I enjoy about FTF's is that, like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Typically I just punch in the numbers, read the page and hit the door, since God knows, I'd hate to "waste" 20 seconds loading it through GSAK. :huh: This has led to some interesting hunts, since I sometimes fumble the numbers. As far as the final location goes, sometimes I just get a creepy feeling about a spot and walk away. I figure the cache will still be there some other day.

To answer your question, if FTF's are really important to you, you were not too cranky. If they are not important, maybe you were.

(did I mention I tend to oscillate?) :smile:

CO does warn you that it is near a 'private park', and to respect privacy signs. From Google Earth, it doesn't look like too bad a neighborhood. I've been to parks in some really nasty neighborhoods! Including one where the FTF had to run for his safety. That spot looks nice! And, I've been on FTF hunts where the coordinates were four miles off. Or, the second stage of a multi lead directly to someone's living room.

Perhaps you were just expecting all caches to be spectacular and beautiful. They are not. If you don't like the neighborhood, then, by all means, continue on.

I reviewed this cache. It's hidden in a fairly standard hiding place on public property. It's marketed by the owner as having the purpose of showing a nice view of the city. And yes, I looked at Google Earth and saw there were residences nearby. If it meets the guidelines, press the "publish" button.

:smile:

Thanks Keystone. I wasnt upset at the residences, there are plenty with residences around. For some reason we were expecting a park.

I guess it is like a box of chocolates!! :huh:

Edited by knight2000

CO does warn you that it is near a 'private park', and to respect privacy signs. From Google Earth, it doesn't look like too bad a neighborhood. I've been to parks in some really nasty neighborhoods! Including one where the FTF had to run for his safety. That spot looks nice! And, I've been on FTF hunts where the coordinates were four miles off. Or, the second stage of a multi lead directly to someone's living room.

Perhaps you were just expecting all caches to be spectacular and beautiful. They are not. If you don't like the neighborhood, then, by all means, continue on.

Can you elaborate on the FTF running for safety?

As for the OP, I have skipped FTF a handful of times, after assesing the scene. If I don't like what I see, i'll skip a cache. I think the cache owner did a decent job in his description of the area.

Guess I am thankful for where I live - nowhere in the state I would have to worry about that. Besides, a concealed weapons permit does come in handy....

What, you've never hunted a cache in a field with a bull? :huh:

As a general rule, I don't go anywhere where i'd encounter a bull, except the other side of the fence. I've successfully avoided a confrontation with a bull for 31 years. :smile:

....It was an a hill where rainwater washed down. After realizing where we were and the time of night, we quickly left. There were houses all around and it would look awful strange, day or night for anyone to be in this area.

Maybe you just don't knwo about all the kinds of parks there are.

First is the obvious kind. Swingsets, grass, trees...

Then there is open space. Meaning "aint developed and aint gonna be developed' but we don't want it in the hand of a developer.

Thern there is the "Storm Drainage Park". It looks like the first kind of park but after a rain you are standing 3' deep in water.

Then there is the hillside & gully park that the developer can't develope and which the city doesn't want the landowners building fences blocking up the gully and so the developer gives it to the city, the city labels it a 'park' but all it's goo for is kids to play paintball in, and to keep homeowners from damming up all the water coming off the hill.

Then there are parks that are intended to be the first kind, but which need money. The city labels them 'park' but then they just sit as open space.

Then there are neighborhood parks. Open to all the bublic but you are going to get funny looks if you are not from the neighborhood. Especially after hours.

Them gully parks are good mountain biking but you would feel funny being in them after dark because of the homes. Still, it's public land and you are good to go. Just dont' expect the homeowners to waive hello if you are there at night.

My town as all of these types and a few more. By looking at a map you can get a good idea what you are in for before you head out on the FTF quest.

CO does warn you that it is near a 'private park', and to respect privacy signs. From Google Earth, it doesn't look like too bad a neighborhood. I've been to parks in some really nasty neighborhoods! Including one where the FTF had to run for his safety. That spot looks nice! And,

Actually, it was a DNF by the FTF:

As I walked over towards the tower I noticed that the park was virtually empty - just as I expected at 8:00 AM because everyone in this neighborhood just went to bed.

I admired the views from the overlook and scouted-out a route down the steep hillside - the skeletal remains of an long iron staircase. Down I went without a problem and over to the brush where my GPSr was pointing.

Now here's where the fun began.

I must have been followed because just as I started searching, I heard footsteps approaching. Not the sound of someone walking by, but slow deliberate steps. I poke my head up and spot two guys scanning the hillside to see where I went. I saw them before they saw me, so it was quite obvious what they were looking for. I say "what's up?" and just get stares in return. They walk by but stop just out of sight.

Growing up in the city and working on the streets of Manhattan for 16 years makes me feel that my senses are well tuned. So, right about now I know that something isn't right and I feel my brain release a hefty dose of adrenaline as a reaction to the stress. Not the type situation that I'd prefer, but it feels good nonetheless.

My mind is racing now, but I just want to find the cache and get the hell out of here, so I continue searching.

Again I here them walking over and before I look up I hear "watcha doin' ova there, white boy?"

"looking for snakes" I respond without even thinking like I'm some sort of bad a** herpetologist(yeah, it's funny now but I'll admit I was scared).

Instead of them walking off together, they split-up, one on the path to the north and the other to the south. Now I have no doubt at all that I'm going to get jumped.

These two guys aren't your crazy bum types. No, they fit that common profile you see in handcuffs on the evening news - black, too old to be in school, yet too young to have matured into adults, and dressed like hip-hop stars.

My options are pretty much limited now. I'm alone, in a closed section of a park, with only one route choice left - up.

Lucky this white boy can climb because the hillside is very steep with barren rock outcroppings. So, up and out I went. To the 'safety' of the open area of the park - cursing (hider) the entire way.

Thanks for the excitement.

It was in a beautiful spot, in an historic park, in a bad neighborhood. We were second and third of four finders, before it got muggled for the second and last time.

But, we did it at noon on a nice Sunday, with the park filled with baseball players. We should probably have been concerned when we entered the woods, ant the kid playing there left in fear...

I think the first sign there was an issue with this cache would have been the original contents:

~A broken WWJD bracelet :laughing:

It was in a beautiful spot, in an historic park, in a bad neighborhood. We were second and third of four finders, before it got muggled for the second and last time.

But, we did it at noon on a nice Sunday, with the park filled with baseball players. We should probably have been concerned when we entered the woods, ant the kid playing there left in fear...

Okay, that got my adrenaline going, just sitting here reading it.

There's some bad neighborhoods in my town, and you can tell where, by the big space near the center of town that doesn't have any caches on the map.

There's some bad neighborhoods in my town, and you can tell where, by the big space near the center of town that doesn't have any caches on the map.

A bit off topic, but I wonder how long it'll take developers to learn they can find prime real estate just by looking at our maps. :P

Lottsa green boxes = lottsa trees to cut down. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Guess I am thankful for where I live - nowhere in the state I would have to worry about that. Besides, a concealed weapons permit does come in handy....

What, you've never hunted a cache in a field with a bull? :P

Always expect the ........unexpected! And that's no BULL! :laughing:

One has to be willing to drive away from a cache site. I've never avoided a site because I thought it was dangerous, but rather when I drove to the site, I felt I just wouldn't enjoy looking in the area, or in a few instances, I took a quick look around and left, with the intention of never returning. Why waste time doing something you will not enjoy?

The placer of cache should ask themselves, will people really enjoy looking for the cache? Will it be a pleasant experience? Personally, I will seek out caches in parks.

We visited a cache series that took us through a pasture with a lot of cattle crud. I kept wondering the whole time if we were going to meet a mad bull at some point. Steer make me really nervous.

[There's some bad neighborhoods in my town, and you can tell where, by the big space near the center of town that doesn't have any caches on the map.

I always wondered if anyone else noticed this pattern. Developed areas always have more caches when they're better neighborhoods. There was a stretch to the north of where I used to live, now northwest of here, where there were virtually no caches, and for good reason. It was the heart of the city, too. We visited some friends there, and it looked a bit like some less-prosperous South American country. We also noticed that they got a nicely bashed-in rear windshield while living there.

We once pursued an FTF that turned out to be in another city entirely. The hider got the coordinates wrong. What's worse is that he responded to the negative logs by disabling it, "checking" the coordinates and then re-enabling it with the claim that everything was fine. The crazy thing is that someone still managed to find it and claim FTF eventhough, by his own admission, the coordinates were in the wrong city.