GSAK and Smartphone

:laughing: I just purchased a Samsung Blackjack. I have seen many posts by people who are using the phone to do paperless caching. I have GSAK, and can export files to HTML but am not sure how to do the actual transfer to the smartphone. When I drag and drop to the phone, the browser does not recognize the html files. Could someone provide a list of step by step instructions for transferring the data and how to open it on the phone? Thanks.

When I drag and drop to the phone, the browser does not recognize the html files. Could someone provide a list of step by step instructions for transferring the data and how to open it on the phone? Thanks.

I just open the files with PIE (pocket IE and it works fine). SDA smartphone.

I am obviously not dragging the folder to the right place because the phone is not recognizing the files. Theoretically I should be able to navigate to the folder with the files and simply use the click wheel to open the files. I don't know if the problem is with the phone or my ability to import the files.

I am obviously not dragging the folder to the right place because the phone is not recognizing the files.

That may not follow. Windows Mobile may not do file associations the same way desktop windoze does. I don't have enough time in the WM smartphone world to know. (Most of my experience with with Palm).

I threw mine in \storage card\temp.

Try opening (then bookmarking) the index file that gsak creates by giving IE the url (Menu | Address Bar). If that doesn't work then maybe the output files really aren't .html

I am obviously not dragging the folder to the right place because the phone is not recognizing the files.

That may not follow. Windows Mobile may not do file associations the same way desktop windoze does. I don't have enough time in the WM smartphone world to know. (Most of my experience with with Palm).

I threw mine in \storage card\temp.

Try opening (then bookmarking) the index file that gsak creates by giving IE the url (Menu | Address Bar). If that doesn't work then maybe the output files really aren't .html

I dragged the folder with the GSAK html files to storage card. I then typed "/storage card/cache/index.html" into the address bar. I get an error message that the server could not be found or a DSN error has occured.

I think yer getting close.

The url for that path would be something like: file:///storage card/cache/index.html, although my bookmark in PIE shows windows-style slashes. Try it both ways:

file:///storage card/cache/index.html

file://\storage card\cache\index.html

and see if either works for you. If I could figure out how to make a screenshot off my smartphone I would, so you could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am using PIE to look at geocaching .html right now. It's possible! Push on! Bite down! Ours is not to reason why, etc, etc, Don't give up! :-)

I have tried this as well...but I'm still not having luck. I have the Samsung Blackjack...and I created an HTML file by exporting my caches from GSAK. I dragged the file to my phone's storage card (cache folder)...but I'm not able to get it to open. Which address did you put in? the /// or the //\?

I'm stumped.

In GSAK I saved the waypoints as an html file.

I saved the file as the location where I cache (for example: Savannah) but it really is up to you.

I dropped the file to a folder I had created on the storage card called "cache".

On the blackjack I opened the browser and I typed in the following:

file:///storage card\cache\savannah.htm

Notice the file tag is htm instead of html. That was the kicker for me. Let me know if this works for you.

I have the Blackjack with a storage card and use Cachemate. I did not get or use any of the online services for the phone.

The instructions below work for me with my Cachemate HTML files downloaded to the storage card.

Start>More>More>Applications>File Explorer>Up

If you have a storage card continue as below (if not look for the folder you placed the files)

>Storage Card>Cache>_1index

Highlighting the file "_1index" and pressing "OK" opens the Index page. Now make sure to add this to your FAVORITES for easy selection on your next use.

Menu>Add to favorites

Addtionally, Cachemates default folder name is "Cache". As long as you do not change this, even when you download new data and update to the phone, Explorer will simply continue to open the folder named "Cache" (meaning you do not have to create a new FAVORITE everytime you do an update).

Another hint you may find useful, for other areas that I visit irreguralry, I've created 4 other "Cache" folders. After Cachemate creates the file, BEFORE downloading to the phone, I rename the folder with a unique name (for example "CachesNorth"). I go to the folder using the steps above and then put it in my FAVORITEs. Now I can easily switch between folders depending on my area.