Approaching 1K - Cool cache idea?

Blue Power Ranger

Wow, I just looked up and realized I am only 18 caches away from hitting my big 1000. This is the first milestone that I actually care about. I want to do a cache that is very cool and memorable and need some suggestions.

I think that I will actually hit this milestone in the next couple of weeks so the snow leaves out a lot of the cool mountain caches. Every time I have looked before at a cool cache I might use, I end up doing it right away. These are the ones I considered and then already did...

Original Stash - Did it months ago

Project Ape - Yep, did that too

Ebey Bluffs - really wanted to save that one for 1000 but couldn't wait (very cool though)

etc... etc...

So, what I need is a suggestion for a really cool cache. The catch is that it has to be within a couple hours drive of Tacoma... and I want to do it with my wife and three kids, the youngest being only a year old, since I have dragged them along for most of the other finds. (they are not wussy kids) I don't want a Park and Grab, I want a challenge of some sort.

Anybody have any good ideas? The key is to be memorable.

A long time ago I decided to do Purgatory for my 1000th but I got here earlier than I anticipated. I don't think I could do it this early in the spring.

I have been considering Ring of Fire as that one has had my interest for some time. Any thoughts there? Obviously the whole gang couldn't make it to the bottom but how serious in the terrain there really? Can a 12 year old do it? An eight year old? Anyone know if I can drive up to the start point for this right now or must the family hike in?

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

The cache that came to mind immediately was the one I did for my 1000 milestone. It fits your criteria for distance from Tacoma, is a kid-friendly cache, and has a surprise ending that will delight the entire family. If I recall, the walk is about a mile each way on a pleasant, near-level forest trail. If you go, take a picnic lunch along with you to enjoy when you reach the cache.

Half Moon Cache

Although I have not done it that was my first thought also when reading the new topic email. It has come highly recommended from several people. I'm tired to trying to tie it to a milestone so it is at the top of the adgenda for next week. Another that I have not done but has come highly recommended is Room With a View, hope to have time for that one on the same day as Half Moon.

And one favorite of mine, although a little further away Harvesting the Tide by EraSeek, I did it last spring in the evening. Just a great spot to be.

Good luck, and have fun!

I second Half Canadian's recommendation for "Half Moon Cache" My avator picture is taken there for my #700. I was with Ajetpilot and we were going around a bend and he said "So far I don't know what's so great about this cache." Since I always lag behind I heard him say

"O my God, would you look at that!"

Edited by W7WT

I second Half Canadian's recommendation for "Half Moon Cache" My avator picture is taken there for my #700. I was with Ajetpilot and we were going around a bend and he said "So far I don't know what's so great about this cache." Since I always lag behind I heard him say

"O my God, would you look at that!"

Wow! I read all the logs. I don't know what's so great but it must be fantastic. I'm almost sold on Half Moon Cache. The curiosity alone may get me there.

The cache that came to mind immediately was the one I did for my 1000 milestone. It fits your criteria for distance from Tacoma, is a kid-friendly cache, and has a surprise ending that will delight the entire family. If I recall, the walk is about a mile each way on a pleasant, near-level forest trail. If you go, take a picnic lunch along with you to enjoy when you reach the cache.

Half Moon Cache

This is the first one I thought of as well. I think the kids would especially get a kick out of it.

Room with a View is a great cache because the view is indeed awesome. We really didn't think the terrain is too bad. You will probably get a bit wet because of the plant life. Your youngest will need a ride. It is worth every moment if you are there on a day that isn't foggy/misty so the view isn't obstructed. Added bonus - the view from only a few feet away of the lighthouse is equally cool. :smile:

Edited by WRASTRO

have you considered GC8 Mountain Marsh? It's the oldest in the state. I don't know what the snow line is like this year.

Actually we tried to get to this one before but just ran out of time. We ended up lingering too long at the nearby Impressions of a Tree Earthcache. Wife had to work that night and we had to run. We have plans to return to this area after the thaw.

Room with a View is a great cache because the view is indeed awesome. We really didn't think the terrain is too bad. You will probably get a bit wet because of the plant life. Your youngest will need a ride. It is worth every moment if you are there on a day that isn't foggy/misty so the view isn't obstructed. Added bonus - the view from only a few feet away of the lighthouse is equally cool. :smile:

We'll also do this one later in the summer. We camp at Ft. Canby almost every year. Probably won't make it down there in the next couple of weeks.

I think we are targeting Half Moon Cache for sure now. Perfect place for us to go. We are hoping R-L-Painter will join us. (my father-in-law) he caches out of Lacey so we would be able to go together. It wouldn't be far for him at all.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

I see you are at 988 right now, so I'm not too late.

I have done several caching holidays in the Puget Sound area and there are a few caches that are memorable. Don't know if they are on your "done" list, but here goes:

Vashon-???? GCCCFF Not a difficult cache but it's memorable. Unique

Upcountry Vashon GCG5N8 Another one on Vashon Island. I enjoyed this one because the location was picked arbitrary but the hunt was enjoyable as there are many possible hiding places (and under trees so GPSr readings can be wonky).

Washington Pass Cache GC131C OK, this one might be a bit far but the scenary is great!

Lime Kiln (series of five caches) start at GCMC14 I was able to do 4 out of 5. Had the return before reaching the end due to time. Terain is not too bad and the forest is beautiful.

Hope this helps :-)

Fuzzywhip

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I will add most of these caches to my summer "Must-Do" list. For 1K though, I have locked in on Half Moon Cache, one that wasn't even on my radar before this thread. I just have to see what is so great about it.

I'm going to do this on Saturday 4/14 - that is the first time my wife will be free to accompany me. She's the one who gave me my first GPSr and a Geocaching for Dummies book for Christmas '05 thinking I "might like it" so I think I'd better wait to bring her along.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I will add most of these caches to my summer "Must-Do" list. For 1K though, I have locked in on Half Moon Cache, one that wasn't even on my radar before this thread. I just have to see what is so great about it.

I'm going to do this on Saturday 4/14 - that is the first time my wife will be free to accompany me. She's the one who gave me my first GPSr and a Geocaching for Dummies book for Christmas '05 thinking I "might like it" so I think I'd better wait to bring her along.

Excellent choice! Be sure to bring your kids along, as well as a camera. Be prepared to spend awhile at the cache location exploring the "wow" item, too! Your kids may not want to go home ... :lol:

Wow - with 3 kids and 2 work schedules(one of them rotating) our weekend has gotten too full, and not sure I can wait too much longer.

We are going to go out to the Half Moon cache tomorrow afternoon as soon as the kids are out of school.

Thanks to everyone who recommended it to us. It was that or Ring of Fire - and we still will do Ring of Fire very soon, but we want to wait until our Brother In Law can go to that one.

If anyone isn't doing anything tomorrow afternoon, let us know - we would be happy to have company!

Wow - with 3 kids and 2 work schedules(one of them rotating) our weekend has gotten too full, and not sure I can wait too much longer.

We are going to go out to the Half Moon cache tomorrow afternoon as soon as the kids are out of school.

Thanks to everyone who recommended it to us. It was that or Ring of Fire - and we still will do Ring of Fire very soon, but we want to wait until our Brother In Law can go to that one.

If anyone isn't doing anything tomorrow afternoon, let us know - we would be happy to have company!

I did Half Moon Cache last Friday, based on the recommendations here, and it is definitely worth the trip! Wow!! I also highly recommend A Room With a View if you go to Long Beach - amazing spot and view, and milestone worthy as well.

Have fun, and thanks to everyone for reminding us about these cool caches, so I could pick them up on my trip.

My avatar picture was taken about in the same spot as the picture above. Enjoyed your discription of your adventure and glad you had a little time to enjoy the site. CU at the Spring Fling. Dick

For those that like cheeseburgers, fries and beer, I would recommend the Lebam Tavern to enjoy some local color. For those that wonder about the name, as I understand when they were trying to decide what to call their town, the Postmaster said we will call it Lebam, that my wife Mabel spelled backwards.

Edited by W7WT