1997 Eagle Expedition II

Hopefully someone can help me. I have the Eagle Expedition II. I bought it in 1997 and it has served me well. That is untill I started Geocaching. It wasn't that important to be right on top of my markers before. Now I put in the coordinates and go to them, it seems fine even counts down telling me footage to the cache but then I will be at lets say 8 feet away, I take my eye off of the unit to look for the cache and then when I look back it says 40 feet. One cache I did find the other day when I was sitting right on top of the cache it said 43 feet from it. I have a walking disability and it is very frustrating to walk around in circles and have this thing not make up its mind which way or how far. I know I have all the setting correct. Is it too old? Do I need a new one? Can this one be set to work correctly? And if I need to replace, what is an accurate modle to buy that really works? Please help. :P

Trunrth1

Edited by Trunrth1

All units have a margin of error, its not uncommon for my 60CSx to be several feet off the mark. Remember that the person hiding the cache may have been 10-30 feet off when they placed the cache, then the seekers GPS may be 10-30 feet off, this gives you a pretty broad area to look around. One thing you will see the old timers say is that when your GPSr says that you are about 30 feet away, put it in your pocket and start using your eyes and 'geo-sense'. Look for the obvious places to hide a cache, if its an ammo can, look for logs, bushes, piles of sticks. If its a micro, look for small out of the way spots, under benches, in holes in trees, hanging in a tree. It can be frustrating at first, just keep at it, it gets easier. Try to look for ones with a low terrain/difficulty level at first, then as you get more used to it, maybe you can move the t/d level up.