Is 60csx the only handhel Garmin makes w SiRF III?

French.

I'm looking on Garmin's site and frankly, the 60csx is overkill for me. I'm playing with one now and I don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm thinking about downgrading and with the money and then also investing in a portable car GPS (so I would have one for trail and one for car). I don't care for the autorouting on the 60csx. Warnings aren't loud enough, and I really do prefer being told which way to turn rather than trying to read a tiny screen as I'm driving.

Having said all that, from what I can tell on Garmin's site, the 60 csx (or 60 cs series) appears to be the only handheld that has the SiRF III receiver. I strongly prefer to have a receiver with this chipset as I have used the SiRF III and a less sensitive one together and hands down the SiRF III performs better.

So what's the deal...am I only going to get SiRF III by sticking with the overkill 60CSx?

Edited by French.

Thanks for the replies. This is what I was afraid of.

I'm going to be trying a Vista Cx. I think it will be more my speed but will also give me room to grow. I'm disappointed it doesn't have the Sirf III, but in my reading on these forums, I should still have great fun and success with the Vista.

And of course, this "downgrading" totally justified my purchase of the Nuvi 360. :laughing:

Edited by French.

The lowrance h20c has it but no autorouting.

Are you sure?? The advertisements all says 16 channel for the H20C, but the SIRFIII chip devices are 20 channels (I think).

Am I wrong?

You'll do well to consider the Lowrance units. Although they seem to have a lower spec compared to the 20-channel Sirf enabled units, the difference between 16 and 20 satellites is going to be small. Opinions of the performance have been very favourable. And signal hold should be miles better than the Vista Cx.

The Lowrance 16-channel receiver units also have two processors (as I recall) which they claim gives faster screen refreshes and smoother scrolling when panning the screen. You'll also find very complimentary opinions about the Lowrance colour and black and white screens. If you don't need autorouting, which you obviously don't, then you should consider looking at a Lowrance before making your choice.

You'll do well to consider the Lowrance units. Although they seem to have a lower spec compared to the 20-channel Sirf enabled units, the difference between 16 and 20 satellites is going to be small. Opinions of the performance have been very favourable. And signal hold should be miles better than the Vista Cx.

The Lowrance 16-channel receiver units also have two processors (as I recall) which they claim gives faster screen refreshes and smoother scrolling when panning the screen. You'll also find very complimentary opinions about the Lowrance colour and black and white screens. If you don't need autorouting, which you obviously don't, then you should consider looking at a Lowrance before making your choice.

I was looking at the price differences over on Amazon. The Garmin 60Cx is $320, while the Lowrance H2O C is $250.

You might be able to win an ebay auction for a H2O Color for $200. Get a color unit. They are worth it.