Any fellow newbie's-

Jedi Cacher

Is there any fellow newbie's or veteran cachers that face cynicism from individuals about the sport of geocaching? I have only been geocaching for 2 1/2 weeks and everybody I know has a pessimistic attitude towards geocaching. I do not know if it is the fear of the unknown or not willing to break a sweat hiking to an unfamiliar destination. So far I have had coworkers, friends and family tell me that this is the most stupidest thing they have ever heard of. Tell me this then fellow cachers, if I am greeted by so much negativity why am I having such a blast and look forward to every weekend of grabbing my pack and hitting the trail???? :P

I have faced the same sort of cynics that you talk about, Jedi. They don't understand, or they choose not to understand, they smirk, they outright ridicule.... But when I see the joy on my kids faces out on the trail, finding pine cones, rocks and other world class treasures (to them) and when they finally find that elusive cache we have been looking for and are deciding EXACTLY which treasure to trade for... those are the times when I know why we do it. I wouldn't trade what we do for anything. You have a great area to cache in over there in SD, its our favorite weekend getaway, and you are lucky to have a great geo-group to associate with. Don't let the nay-sayers get to you, have fun, enjoy the journey more than the destination.

I have had many that do not understand geocaching and think it is crazy, going out and looking for "hidden treasure" but like one earlier poster talked about, each of us have our own hot buttons on what we think is fun. Life is way to short to wonder or care what others think about what you think is fun.....if you enjoy it and have fun doing it......go do it!!

In addition to geocaching I go out and shoot my pistols for fun on the weekends.....some people ask me what I killed or why I just go out and shoot.....I tell them becasue it makes me happy and relaxes me.

Every once in a while I have one of those no-sayers or skeptical ones come back and say, "hey can you show me how to do that geocache thing"....ha ha too funny.....peer pressure is so stupid, enjoy life!!

:P

Cool!!

"Some say I am paranoid, I'm not paranoid, I'm the one with the pistol."

I guess I've had the exact opposite experience. Several people I've told about caching are now cachers them selves. Every time I see one freind, he says "you know this all your fault!" He told his father in law about it, and all it took was one hunt, and he became a premium member! Everybody thanks me for getting them in a hobby that takes them to neat places close to home that they didn't know about, and getting some excercise to boot.

Not very many folks I've talked to have heard much about geocaching. One guy can't understand hunting for treasure that doesn't have a big central prize out there that everybody is looking for, ala the local radio station's annual clue based treasure hunt. Can't understand who funds it. Seems to think it's about the swag, not the hunt or getting out with your significant other, your kids, your friends, your dogs, or your God and enjoying not being in the plant, the store, the office, the den or the livingroom. A lot of the younger people don't see it on MTV or some celebrity magazine and can't imagine it being cool. Heck, if it were a sport Bud Light would sponsor it and Nike would make special shoes. I don't worry about others opinion. (Of course that applies to my life in general, not just caching)

Just keep on doing what you are doing and enjoy yourself. Tell folks about it and maybe somebody will ask to tag along.

"Keep on Cachin'"

hairball

A lot of my co-workers think it's stupid. One in particular has a lot of fun making fun of geocaching. I was telling everyone how much fun we had at MOGA and this woman wanted to know if we had to pay to attend. I told her what we paid for the registration package ($139.00 for the two of us) and that camping was only $8 and before I could say another thing she said "OMG! I can't believe you paid that much money to go out and look for crap in a box you don't even get to keep!"

I responded "It makes a lot more sense than spending more than that to go sit in the hot sun watching idiots driving around in circles all day!" She's a big NASCAR fan.

Any racing fans or competitors on board please forgive me but that was the first thing that popped into my head. It shut her up for a while.

The first time someone told me about geocaching, I was like " *BOING!!* I WANNA PLAY!!! " I thought it sounded so fun. Geez...a TREASURE hunt! While there are other hobbies I also enjoy, geocaching has been a lot of fun for me. I'm currently GPSr-less and champing at the bit to get back on the trail. I don't know that I'll ever have the time to rack up the numbers and get FTFs like a lot of cachers do, but I'm sure gonna enjoy it whenever I get to go out. I'm glad to see spring...now I can do some caching after work instead of waiting for the weekend. :laughing:

Most people I've told about it are like..."Oh. Ok." A couple have had mild interest. I think you sort of have to be an outdoorsy person...someone who likes hiking, walking in parks, discovering new things, seeing new things (even in urban areas). Nobody has been really negative about it other than "You had better be careful out there alone!" I do need to get some pepper spray or something. I had one unnerving incident.

Are you kidding me?My buddy told me about geocaching in April of 05.Unfortunately I was (and still am) over here in the sand box,and really didn't pay any attention to it.I should have joined then.I joined in June of 06 and found some caches at home when I was on vacation for 19 days.Now I'm stuck here till I can get back for more.. :laughing:

August baby :laughing: muwhahahaha!!

Geocaching is probably the best non firearm/fishing pole useage of the outdoors!I LOVE it.Who couldn't love a real life treasure hunt??I can fully see why a parent would take their kids caching.I would have killed to have this when I was a kid!Hell,it's like being a kid all over again... except with big boy toys :laughing:

I've already got a guy who just went home from his six month deployment hooked on it...HAHA I was more excited for him to find caches and log them than he was!That's what it's all about..enjoying yourself,meeting cool folks along the caching trails,and having mini adventures.I really wish I knew about this when it first came out.I'm truly addicted.And I've only ten finds under my suspenders (Can't say belt cause I don't use one)!

If someone makes fun of geocaching well....

MORE SWAG FOR US!

:laughing: cache on..

My wife thinks the game is stupid. Most other people that I talk to about it either think it sounds fun or give me a blank stare.

Wow... that's exactly what I was going to post!!

I've talked to a few folks who tried it out and are interested, but don't get out much. Most other people think have a mild interest, while some give me a blank stare. But... my wife thinks its stupid and gives me annoyed looks whenever I pick up my GPSr.

I've gotten both responses....the "You are SUCH a geek!" responses and the "Oh wow! That's so cool!" responses. I figure it this way...we are having a ball and that's what matters. Those that "get it" are welcome to come join the fun and those that don't "get it", oh well, their loss.

Mostly I get that "blank stare", too, whenever I try to describe geocaching. I've tried to convert a couple of co-workers, but none of them caught the bug. People just can't seem to get past the part about the tupperware full of broken McToys. They focus on the treasure instead of the hunt, and are frustrated when they can't see the prize sitting right in the open, and disappointed when there's nothing valuable in the box. Fortunately my husband is willing to humour me and goes along on the hunt. I even let him find the goodies first most of the time. OK, that's not true. He's just better at it than I am.

Tell me this then fellow cachers, if I am greeted by so much negativity why am I having such a blast and look forward to every weekend of grabbing my pack and hitting the trail???? :laughing:

Because it's like being in on a secret. Plus, you're getting out in the fresh air, getting some exercise (for your body AND brain) and participating in something. How can that NOT make you feel good? Don't let the turkeys get to you.

I was immediately intrigued when I heard about it from a woman at church about a month ago. We went out for the first time last night and had a ball! The few people I've told say it sounds neat or just don't get it. That's okay. My other hobbies are knitting and sewing clothes for my kids and no one "gets" that either. Whatever. It's all good.

I figure I'm out with my family doing something active rather than watching TV in separate rooms of the house. People can call it whatever they want. *I'm* connecting with my kids and having fun.

Wow, I didn't expect to recieve all of these posts on this topic but I really have enjoyed reading all of your responses. I was beggining to think I was the only one out there that was greeted by such negativity on this cool adventure. The only one in my family that understands is my 9 year old son and I usually take him along on the easier hikes. Most people just don't get why a person would waste thier day trudging around the woods looking for a container filled with cheap trinkets. They just don't get the whole adventure concept. But that is OK, as long as I am getting out in the hills and enjoying myself, that is all that matters. :laughing:

I am also an avid disc golfer and allot of people think that is wierd. A couple of guys throwing plastic discs at a basket doesn't sound entertaining but it actually is and gets you out of the house. It is an inexpensive sport that can be enjoyed by people of all ages just like geocaching. Some of the best people I have met so far have been disc golfers. I have 4 really nice courses in my area and I do not live in a big town. There are courses all over the US, check one out near you. Go to PDGA.org for a course directory to see if there is one near you :laughing:

We are brand spankin' new to this and are research/shopping for our GPS. Haven't even gone out yet and we are excited. My wife has been wanting to do this for some time now! We think it is another great way to spend time together, have fun, get some exercise, take our dogs along, have fun, get some fresh air, explore our area, get outside, do on day trips and vacations, have fun and have fun.

To repeat what someone else in this thread said - who cares what other folks think if you are having fun and not hurting anyone?

GO FOR IT!! :laughing:

Grown Up Idiots Looking for Tupperware. :laughing::laughing:

Who cares what other people think? As long as you're still having fun . . . you have exercising your body and your mind, meeting new people from all walks of life, and seeing places you might never otherwise know about. It's their loss.

Smae here. I have gotten tons of people going in this sport. It is a blast. My kids and I love it. There are those who just do not get it but most of my friends think it is pretty cool. :laughing:

Ever since starting the hike of the month in the puget sound area, I've had folks wondering where I'll be hiking next and looking forward to seeing pictures of the effort. They live vicariously through this and think its cool.

Btw Kealia, when do we get to be graced by your presence again?

Is there any fellow newbie's or veteran cachers that face cynicism from individuals about the sport of geocaching? I have only been geocaching for 2 1/2 weeks and everybody I know has a pessimistic attitude towards geocaching. I do not know if it is the fear of the unknown or not willing to break a sweat hiking to an unfamiliar destination. So far I have had coworkers, friends and family tell me that this is the most stupidest thing they have ever heard of. Tell me this then fellow cachers, if I am greeted by so much negativity why am I having such a blast and look forward to every weekend of grabbing my pack and hitting the trail???? :laughing:

Hmmmmm. That's the same way my friends responded when I told them about kissing a girl :laughing: (I was 10). But they didn't feel the same way after they tried it! :huh::D:) But, they went after my girlfriend! :) I should have kept quiet! :laughing:

This past Sunday, I dragged my brother to a geocaching event. By our second cache, he was hooked. By our 6th cache, he found it first! WHAT HAVE I DONE? :laughing:

My wife thinks the game is stupid. Most other people that I talk to about it either think it sounds fun or give me a blank stare.

To quote George Carlin (in a routine about what is, and what is not a sport): "Hitting a ball with a crooked stick... then, walking after it... then, hitting it AGAIN! I say, you're lucky you found it, put it in your pocket and go the @#!**#@ home!" Lots of people take part in that pastime. When you put it the way Carlin did, it sounds stupid, too. :laughing:

Some people thinking spending 200 bucks at a bar and waking up with coyote ugly is fun. It takes all kinds.

I can spend 12 bucks at the store, 25 bucks on gas, come back bleeding, with new scars, 25 cents and a golf ball and have a better story than "I think I caught something from her".

RK, you again show your ability to see through an issue and state a concise analogy. It's been a hard day, and you got me laughing to tears. THANKS!! I NEEDED THAT!! :laughing:

Hmmmmm. That's the same way my friends responded when I told them about kissing a girl :) (I was 10). But they didn't feel the same way after they tried it! :D:D:D But, they went after my girlfriend! :huh: I should have kept quiet! :(

This past Sunday, I dragged my brother to a geocaching event. By our second cache, he was hooked. By our 6th cache, he found it first! WHAT HAVE I DONE? :smile:

Thats funny. My wife and I attended a Meet and Greet in Detoit. My sister showed up a bit after it started. After a few caches - she was finding them before we could. Although I don't think she will admit it now - but I think she is hooked. :D

Well, to be completely honest I used to be one of those cynics. I recently married a casher. When we were dating he would mentioned it and I would usually say something stupid and walk off. True, I realize how luck I am he didn't walk off in the other direction and keep going. :laughing:

Now the other weekend I found my first cache. It happened to be one Alaskangntlmn had already found, so I had a little help. :P But after the first one I got myself a name and started to print out all the ones I wanted to find. Yesterday I lead my now Hubby on a hike threw waist deep snow in 20 degree weather to find my first Travel Bug!! And today we ordered my very own GPS!! :laughing:

I can tell you the old comments I used to make were out of not being willing to try something new and different. Now I don't let what other people think and say about it bother me. I know how much fun geocaching is and how great it is for our marriage.

I used to launch model rockets. You'd spend 20 to 200 bucks to build a cardboard tube, then stick a 2 to 70 dollar motor in it and punch the button. Whoosh. Pop. Then you'd have to walk forever to find the thing, fix whatever broke, and fly it again.

Sure it was fun, but the cost really stacked up. With geocaching, I can do all the walking and finding and not spend any money!

Is there any fellow newbie's or veteran cachers that face cynicism from individuals about the sport of geocaching? I have only been geocaching for 2 1/2 weeks and everybody I know has a pessimistic attitude towards geocaching. I do not know if it is the fear of the unknown or not willing to break a sweat hiking to an unfamiliar destination. So far I have had coworkers, friends and family tell me that this is the most stupidest thing they have ever heard of. Tell me this then fellow cachers, if I am greeted by so much negativity why am I having such a blast and look forward to every weekend of grabbing my pack and hitting the trail???? :huh:

Most of the non-cachers I've spoken to are polite and don't say anything negative. When I first heard about it I thought it seemed kinda goofy. A couple of years passed, and a friend took me along and I got hooked.

I wonder how many of your naysayers would turn out to really like it, if only you could get them to try it.

You sound as if you prefer the ones in the wilderness. Take a naysayer to lunch somewhere near an urban micro. Tell them after you get there that you just wanna go log that one cache. Then, even if you find it quickly, make sure they see it. Then don't bring it up again for a while... :)

I used to launch model rockets. You'd spend 20 to 200 bucks to build a cardboard tube, then stick a 2 to 70 dollar motor in it and punch the button. Whoosh. Pop. Then you'd have to walk forever to find the thing, fix whatever broke, and fly it again.

Sure it was fun, but the cost really stacked up. With geocaching, I can do all the walking and finding and not spend any money!

Combine the two :P

Rockets were being shot off next to the campfire at this event.

Couple of glow sticks taped to it and the kids had something to chase.

Total geekfest :laughing:

I am a geography nerd and everyone who knows me accepts that about me. I have been lucky enough to have escaped any criticism on the issue. :P

Cheers,

Tami

That's pretty much the story with me. The only ones who thought it was really weird were my co-workers (though ironically many of them hike, some have car GPSr's, and one is even into Orienteering :laughing:).

One thing I find is that if you explain it as the "box of junk" being an excuse to setup coordinates that lets the GPS get you to a nice surprise (such as a gorgeous view or the middle of a park one wouldn't of known of otherwise), people are actually kind of awed! And the ones with kids seem to like the idea of cheap goodies to trade, though I have gotten comments like "aren't the kids a little young to do big hikes" (especially from parents who have 5 year olds already spending all day on the computer playing video games :laughing:) or "aren't you worried about ticks on them?"

Can you name any activity that everyone likes? What is important is doing what you like and then meeting others that like the same things. The heck with rest... :(

Also anything can be made to sound silly. How about an activity where you pay $75 to chase a little white ball around a couple hundred acres of grass, sand and trees. :)

I hike and now Cache with my friend Amy and my dog. My husband and Amy's think we're total idiots. However, my husband runs around in the woods dressed in camo shooting paintballs (and being shot) from sometimes too close of a range. Which is more absurd you ask?

My activity has minimal startup costs - the GPSr (okay not so cheap), a few bucks for some swag, bug spray, and new hiking boots every year - I don't have to pay every time I enter the state park my house backs up to. His activity costs a minimum of $75/pp each time they play and that's at least once a week for the both of them (that doesn't include their small armory of paintball guns which they are probably into for at least $10,000 at this point).

People I speak to about caching seem to be skeptical about it until they join and then all of a sudden they all want a GPSr and want to know where I'm going caching and hiking next Saturday.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks. I'm out there to have some exercise, enjoy the nature and the hunt! :(

I am also a "newbie" to geo caching, Just found my first cache today. I found out about geocaching while researching some old ghost town sites I wanted to photograph.

I am going to be involved in geocaching for the same reason I do photography, not for the wealth, or the publicity, but simply because It is enjoyable. I am in the outdoors, away from most people, exploring areas that may be new or may not be new, and when you are looking for a cache you see more than just a trail, you will see things you may not have seen the last time you were there.

I do not feel the need to justify myself to someone who does not wish to understand about geocaching, If they are interested then fantastic, another person to hold an intelligent conversation with. If they are not interested, so be it, I won't waste their time explaining it and I won't be wasting my time listening to their reasons not to geocache.

I have been asked this same question as far as digital photography, I guess the response fits for both.

It is fun, simple as that. Why let someone ruin that fun, for any reason.

Is there any fellow newbie's or veteran cachers that face cynicism from individuals about the sport of geocaching? I have only been geocaching for 2 1/2 weeks and everybody I know has a pessimistic attitude towards geocaching. I do not know if it is the fear of the unknown or not willing to break a sweat hiking to an unfamiliar destination. So far I have had coworkers, friends and family tell me that this is the most stupidest thing they have ever heard of. Tell me this then fellow cachers, if I am greeted by so much negativity why am I having such a blast and look forward to every weekend of grabbing my pack and hitting the trail???? :laughing:

I would guess that these are the same people who will spend countless hours watching incredibly stupid sitcoms on TV.

I have yet to go on a hunt - I am awaiting the delivery of the GPS I finally chose. I have, however, told many people of my plans to geocache. So far, all have thought it at least sounds interesting. My gut tells me that if I were to take them on a hunt with me - they would be more excited about the activity. I haven't had anyone say: "boy that sounds dumb/stupid/boring"

And Mr. Mikey - do you know of a good, comprehensive website of "Ghost Towns" throughout the US?

Would like to vist and photograph some - and hey - maybe there is a cache around the ones I visit.

I've had lots of people look at me like I'm crazy...but then I've also had lots of people tell me they want to start doing it too.

I'm trying to get a group of moms from another board I'm very active in to join up and we could be "Atlanta Momma Cachers" or something...so far I've converted 5 or 6 moms into believers.

My hubby is having trouble being on this "team" I've put together. And he's especially leery of caches hidden on retail property because he's worried about everyone that's "looking at him funny"...but that's why you have to be stealthy! LOL

I'm lovin it!

I read about geocaching in our newspaper on Monday and kind of forgot about it. Last Wednesday, I thought about it on my day off. I couldn't remember what it was called, so I googled GPS treasure. Found the site, read for about 2 hours, and joined premium already. Told my wife and she thought it was a great idea. We spend too much time sitting on our bums at home and we are overweight. I figure this was a great excuse to get out in the great outdoors. Bought the GPS yesterday and can't wait to start finding caches. THis will be fantastic!

So far I have had coworkers, friends and family tell me that this is the most stupidest thing they have ever heard of.

People either react with a "Wow that sounds so cool", a sense of amusement or a blank stare and a "Why would anyone want to do that?"

It's funnny that people in the latter group see nothing unusual about spending the day at the mall as a hobby, or whacking golf balls into small holes, or watching cars drive around in circles on TV.

I first heard about Geocaching while attending a block breakfast. My neighbor Bob (bobolu) came down the street to grab a bite and folks asked what he had been up to. He got a big grin on his face and said, "Treasure Hunting!". Most of the folks laughed and asked what he meant so he started explaining geocaching. All of the folks laughed and kind of shook their heads in a good-natured way and pretty much figured he was nuts. However, I asked him to tell me more about it. I went home, looked up the site, made an account and started reading the forums. Very shortly thereafter I had purchased a GPSr and was out caching.

MOST folks won't understand it at all but SOME of us are instantly captivated. I'm extremely happy that I heard about this silly hobby - I love it. Just be glad that you are one of the select folks who saw what a great and cool thing this can be. Let the others live in their muggle world.

I haven't really started yet, but I heard about geocaching about a year ago when I was watchiing Law & Order, it sounded interesting but I kinda dismissed it cause I didn't have a GPS and I didn't realize how big it really is. By the clues I have looked at so far, I already know where a few caches are without using the GPS. Anyway, some friends of mine at my church started doing it and had a blast so within the next week or so I will be out there blazing a trail!!! Look out caches....I'm coming!!!!!