Advice on a meet n greet

Hi all,

We have been aproached by one of the cachers in our area who is rather keen on organising a local "meet n greet" and we have agreed to help where we can.

As neither of us have attended let alone oganised anything like this we thought this would be a good place to ask for any advice on do's & donts and what makes a good meet.

Also if there are any cachers reading this who would be interested in coming along to a meet on the Norfolk/Suffolk boarder please mail us or Lingering via our profiles.

Thanks in advance for any advice recieved .

Hi all,

We have been aproached by one of the cachers in our area who is rather keen on organising a local "meet n greet" and we have agreed to help where we can.

As neither of us have attended let alone oganised anything like this we thought this would be a good place to ask for any advice on do's & donts and what makes a good meet.

Also if there are any cachers reading this who would be interested in coming along to a meet on the Norfolk/Suffolk boarder please mail us or Lingering via our profiles.

Hi There! I don't know if any of this will help you out but...we just posted our seconed event cache yesterday for April 28th, basically our moderator over here said "Post it and they will come!" Which is what I named this event B) I think 6 or 7 cachers have signed up already! We did learn on our first one to plan for a bigger space than you think you will need. Our last one was on a Thursday night so we had it in one of our smaller pubs not thinking that more than maybe 20-30 people would show up with it being a weeknight. I think there were 40+ and some of them drove over 120 miles to be there. The one coming up in April is going to be on a Saturday night, so we are having it in a restaraunt that can accomodate a larger crowd than what we "think" we will need. We even have visitors coming from Las Vegas (over 400 miles away) It still boggles my mind as to how far people will commute just to attend an event!

Hi There! I don't know if any of this will help you out but...we just posted our seconed event cache yesterday for April 28th, basically our moderator over here said "Post it and they will come!" Which is what I named this event B) I think 6 or 7 cachers have signed up already! We did learn on our first one to plan for a bigger space than you think you will need. Our last one was on a Thursday night so we had it in one of our smaller pubs not thinking that more than maybe 20-30 people would show up with it being a weeknight. I think there were 40+ and some of them drove over 120 miles to be there. The one coming up in April is going to be on a Saturday night, so we are having it in a restaraunt that can accomodate a larger crowd than what we "think" we will need. We even have visitors coming from Las Vegas (over 400 miles away) It still boggles my mind as to how far people will commute just to attend an event!

Remember, in the US everything is bigger. I don't think (m)any uk cachers may turn up for a pub event 400 miles away. B)

Edited by Edgemaster

Remember, in the UK everything is bigger. I don't think (m)any uk cachers may turn up for a pub event 400 miles away. :P

:P:D

I would :P

I'd love to come over there to cache! We were over there in early 2001 for my sister-in-laws wedding, bummed we didn't cache then :D

Oops, I mean US there. :D

I'd have loved to cache when I was in Canada and Italy, but it was before caching for me too B)

Hi all,

You'd not go far wrong in contacting the Cache Hoppers (Reading area) - they're experts! :laughing:

Hi all,

Hi molfrew-mosstoad!

I JUST went through the exact same thing. See my SEMOG Meet and Greet 2007 for starters. Here's what I did:

Picked a place. The local microbrewery was a good choice as everybody likes to eat, right?

Set a date. (picked the place first so I could be sure it was available for the date)

Asked for ideas in the forums. :laughing:

Found a link to Build It and They Will Come Event Guide and read it front to back

Asked gracious geocachers in the GeoCoins Forum if anyone would donate coins for our event. I sent preform micro caches back to each donater; one for each coin.

Contacted the GPSr manufacturers and asked for a donation; received one from Magellan (Thanks Magellan!)

Planned a Poker Run, which turned out to be very easy to run

Offered to demonstrate Paperless Caching at the event (had one geocacher that came specifically for that)

Got a donation of Burger King Kid's Meal toys for a 'Kids Treasure Chest' which was an ammo box chock full of goodies, hidden in the meeting room.

Had donated coloring books from the local fire and police departments.

Spent less than $25 on postage, bouncy balls, crayons and a few other things.

Was VERY fortunate to have one of the local geocahers whose family had a printing business and did our poker chips for the poker run, donated 'Hello My Name Is' name tags and printed t-shirts.

I brought my laptop, printer, GPSr and PDA. Ended up printing up signs, sign-in sheets and more handouts for the poker run.

What did I learn from doing an event?

1. It was a lot of fun and I got to meet a lot of geocahers from all around (had people coming from over 100 miles away).

2. Geocachers aren't going to be real picky. It's just fun to get together, meet and talk to each other.

3. My event just kind of came together and evolved and I didn't sweat over the details TOO much.

4. We had lots of give-aways and almost everyone got something. That went over REAL well!

5. There were a LOT of positive logs posted. Matter of fact, I think they ALL were.

6. We're looking forward to another event and I will do another.

7. I'll try to delegate more of the chores around. I was so busy much of the time, that I hardly got to talk to any of the folks that came to the event.

I'll be happy to expand on any of this, if you have questions.

JohnTee

Great,

thanks for all your suggestions,posted here aswell as the ones sent to me we have had some interest, some great advice and even offers of help. :P

I will be looking into the ST Ives event (although on first thoughts we may be double booked :laughing: ) it would be good to see how its done though.

Maybe we can try something not too formal to test the water then plan for something bigger later..

I will pass all your comments onto Lingering & contact those interested as & when.

Thanks again for your time