<type>Geocache in LOC files

tipete

Can this be considered a bug that all caches types downloaded in a .LOC file shows up as <type>Geocache?

After some investigation I found that my gps would appreciate to heve them show up as "traditional", "multi-cache", "mystery" or "puzzle", "virtual", etc... instead of all as "geocache".

Of course, I can edit the LOC file before uploading to the gps, but I would like to remove this step.

I say "my gps", but really any software I know can't differentiate the cache types if they all show as "geocache"!!!

Is this a limitation that dissappear when you move to Premium member??

Thanks,

Pierre (Tipete)

If you become a Premium Member, the Pocket Query file you receive in your email, with have .gpx files. They have a lot more information than the .loc files.

If you use a program like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), you can give each different cache type a unique icon, if you wish.

However, keeping each Geocache as a Geocache, to take advantage of the Geocache features of your GPSr, and using the "Smart Name" codes to tell you the Type and Size and Difficulty and Terrain might be a better way to do it. B)

Type to your GPS means things like "Boat Ramp", Fishing Spot", "Tower" and of course "Geocache". Not really meant to display the differen types of Geocaches.

What software are you using to upload the .LOC?? What type of GPS do you have?

My gps is a Magellan Explorist 500.

I used Mapsend for maps that allows to load LOC files, and they all shows the same.

I use Magellan cache manager, which just send the loc to the gps. I can improve on it, but it sends the same.

So if I fix "geocache" to "multi-cache", then I see a multi on both software, and on the gps.

So my question remains: why is the LOC file from geocaching.com all saying "geocache regardless of type?

Pierre

Type to your GPS means things like "Boat Ramp", Fishing Spot", "Tower" and of course "Geocache". Not really meant to display the differen types of Geocaches.

What software are you using to upload the .LOC?? What type of GPS do you have?

My gps is a Magellan Explorist 500.

I used Mapsend for maps that allows to load LOC files, and they all shows the same.

I use Magellan cache manager, which just send the loc to the gps. I can improve on it, but it sends the same.

So if I fix "geocache" to "multi-cache", then I see a multi on both software, and on the gps.

So my question remains: why is the LOC file from geocaching.com all saying "geocache regardless of type?

Pierre

Because the "type" of waypoint to be transfered IS a geocache. Multi or traditional or whatever are sub types in this context. Sort of like asking for different types of boatramps (long ones, short ones, red ones, ship sized, rowboat size etc). While it is easy enough to go out and change the "type" designation so your GPS displays them all differently, I am not sure it would be universally accepted.

In the Garmin units with the dedicated Geocaching features - the type must be geocache or it will not know how to display them.

Yes, I noticed that the LOC file is a collection of <waypoint>.

Could you try to edit your LOC file before loading into your Garmin and see if it recognize them. I did the test and it worked n mine (after a few attempts).

Mine will recognize "multi-cache", "virtual", "mystery" or "puzzle", "letterboxhybrid", some others I forgot.

I just took a LOC file, all with "geocache" and replaced a bunch with the above, then loaded. Of course, when the type was truely invalid, it would show the cache as unknown.

BTW, anybody knows the list of "type" or a place that explain the syntax of LOC files?

Pierre

I thought that <type> was one of the things that EasyGPS does NOT send to the GPS. It's there for you to use on your computer.

In tracking all my finds I make them things like Multi3mini2 where there are 3 parts and 2 are mini. PuzzleReg, PuzzleSmall, PuzzleMini...

It's the <symbol> that I use to tell me which kind of cache it is on my GPS. And nowadays I use GSAK for everything but still keep a big GPX file that both can use.

Yes, I noticed that the LOC file is a collection of <waypoint>.

Could you try to edit your LOC file before loading into your Garmin and see if it recognize them. I did the test and it worked n mine (after a few attempts).

Mine will recognize "multi-cache", "virtual", "mystery" or "puzzle", "letterboxhybrid", some others I forgot.

I just took a LOC file, all with "geocache" and replaced a bunch with the above, then loaded. Of course, when the type was truely invalid, it would show the cache as unknown.

BTW, anybody knows the list of "type" or a place that explain the syntax of LOC files?

Pierre

As yourself if not having the hassle of manually editing every LOC file is worth 58 cents a week.