How do you use cachmate

thumbs1

Can someone walk me though the steps to get the info from the info on my gsak to my palm?

I have gsak and the list of caches. I have cachemate on my palm. I don't have a clue from there how to get the info to the palm. I can download to my gps from gsak.

Can anyone take me step by step to downloading to my Palm?

thanks for the help

Edited by thumbs1

See this is the problem. I have read as much of the instructions as I can but it assumes you know what the heck they are talkin about.

briansnat

I'm sure it's easy for you but when you say ;

"I just use the CMConvert program that comes with Cachemate. Start it, load the GPX file, select all, convert, save, press the Hotsync button on my Palm. Very easy."

I really don't know how to to that. If I do it once I'll have it but I haven't done it yet. I have cachmate on my palm and the caches on gsak. But I don't know where your starting even with the CM Convert.

When you installed Cachemate there should have been an App called CMConvert. If you can find the directory that Cachemate is in, you will see CMConvert. If not click on the start button, then "search", then "files or folders". In the 'search for' box type in: cmconvert.* When it finds it, right click on it, click on 'create shortcut' and it will ask if you want it on your desktop, click on yes. This will put the CMConvert icon on your desktop screen.

Just click on that icon anytime you want to start CMConvert. When you do that a dialogue box will pop up with several buttons. One of them is "load". Click on that and find the GPX file that you had saved to your disk and select that. You should see a list of caches appear in the window. Click on the 'select all' button, then the 'convert' button.

When you go to quit, it will ask you if you want to save the file, save it. Then the next time you Hotsync your PDA you will load the new cache pages to your PDA

Team Dubbin

Ok I found the convert in the cachmate file. I went to gsak and found export the page popped up but I don't know where to put the file. I know that really sounds dumb. Where do I want to put it?

briansnat

Ok I have cmconvert on the desktop. Ok I opened it and clicked on the file but a list of options come up. I don't see any caches. It says file import options. I clicked on each box for each option and hit ok. Now from my pq I downloaded three caches. When I hit Ok it only entered one. I then closed the box and nothing happened it just closed.

Edited by thumbs1

Team Dubbin

Ok I found the convert in the cachmate file. I went to gsak and found export the page popped up but I don't know where to put the file. I know that really sounds dumb. Where do I want to put it?

briansnat

Hold on I got it. Now I found the select all and it selected them but I can't find the convert tab.

michigansnorkeler

yeah lol I changed that to 25. I figure I wouldn't learn much from three. I just narrowed my cache search to much.

Anyway I have this down to the select all. What do I do from there to get the info to my palm?

Never mind I got it.

Thanks guys. I may have to come back though

Edited by thumbs1

Can someone walk me though the steps to get the info from the info on my gsak to my palm?

I have gsak and the list of caches. I have cachemate on my palm. I don't have a clue from there how to get the info to the palm. I can download to my gps from gsak.

Can anyone take me step by step to downloading to my Palm?

thanks for the help

WindowsXP...GSAK...CacheMate

I have windowsXP>GSAK>CacheMate...The method I use to download a .GPX file is: on cache page listing>click .GPX icon (not LOC icon) this will download the GPX file to a file that I have in: My Documents” named “geocache”. When I have all the caches I want, I bring my geocache file to the front, just to view and determine what files are there. ...I then switch to GSAK and download the folder with all the GPX files. [File>load GPX/LOC>from popup box/select load file or load a folder of files...select and click OK...then the magic begins...That is the fast method...you can send them to GSAK one at a time...If you have just one, well ok, but more then two, use the “folder method”. The GPX files are now loaded in a database that you have previously chosen in GSAK. From GSAK the caches can be sent to your GPSr (GPS>send waypoints) and to your PDA (File>export>cachemate PDB file....). Note: GSAK will delete all caches downloaded from your folder in “My Documents”, if selected, in my case the file is “geocache”.

Other methods are:

• Google Earth with .KML > with “caches a long a route”

• Searching GoogleMaps > with “by cities and/or zip codes”

• BookMark lists – this is a very good method if your list has up to 20 or 30 cache listings...takes a little switching from bookmark list to cache page listing. (I add 1. Cache container 2. Edited cache page info 3. Hint...) this info will go on 1 or 2 lines...But I find this method a fun and knowledgeable thing to do. And, you carry only 1 or 2 sheets of paper in the field for up to 20 caches to hunt. I use this method some times even though I carry a PDA. What the heck, you don’t have to be 100% paperless.

• Pocket Query’s...Outstanding method and the results are emailed to you, just be sure you check GPX files and be sure they are sent Zipped.

• Geocaching.com... where it all begins...read thoroughly.

Of course read all instructions again and again...put all helpful online programs and Q&As etc> on your favorites listing for quick reference... Make folders in “my document” for all the help that you have copied. You do make copies of good and helpful information don’t you? I do...

GSAK is on my PC...CacheMate is on my PalmIIIxe (PDA).

GSAK $25 CacheMate $8 A very good investment. (For life)

GSAK: all questions concerning GSAK can be asked and answered on the GSAK Forum

Happy caching, WT 73