Michigan DNR Accepts MiGO Geocaching Proposal!

Sandrich

After almost 4 years of negotiating with the DNR, MiGO (Michigan Geocaching Organization) is very pleased to announce that we have reached a new level of partnering, and have agreed upon some very important Guidelines and Procedures for Geocaching on *all* DNR approved lands!

The scope of this historic agreement covers all 4 divisions of the DNR, and outlines the procedure for placing Geocaches, with DNR approval.

Best of all, perhaps, is that the individual fee to place a Geocache is no longer going to be enforced. Instead, MiGO, as an organization, will pay (this year) $450.00 as a fee for a blanket permit, that covers the *entire* state! This amounts to approximately 14 million acres that we can now legally, and safely engage in our sport.

We will be posting the Guidelines VERY soon, so keep an eye in the MiGO forums for details!

I also want to thank each and every one of you responsible Geocachers. It is part and parcel because of your willingness to proactively be good stewards of our land, and demonstrate your cooperativeness with regards to partnering with the DNR, that makes this possible at all. So you all are to be congratulated individually, and as an Organization, for paving the way to an historic agreement with the DNR! We are unaware of any other State's DNR who has chosen to partner with a Geocaching Organization. Once again, MiGO is in the forefront of the Geocaching community, and will continue to work as diligently as possible for our GeoFamily.

Great job Sandrich!!

I knew this was in the final stages since I worked out a deal a while back with our local State Park...I can't believe they dragged their feet sooo long! If they'd have talked with the director at Hayes State Park, they'd have realized the benefits of caches in their parks long ago!

I hope all MIGO members take full advantage of this and start placing great hides soon!

edit to add: this could be a huge shot in the geocaching (and DNR's) arm! When other states start to see the economic bonus we will be bringing them, geocaching will be seen more favorably! When our State Parks start bringing in income from visitors that would have never come out to the park, there will be a change in attitudes!!

If your State DNR is against geocaching or want to charge for placement of caches, champion for a change! Work through the proper channels and get them to understand the benefits that FAR outnumber the negatives!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Congratulations. I'm sure it took a lot of bureaucratic red tape and plenty of hurdles to get to the end product. But...

We are unaware of any other State's DNR who has chosen to partner with a Geocaching Organization. Once again, MiGO is in the forefront of the Geocaching community, and will continue to work as diligently as possible for our GeoFamily.

Ahem... IDNR's second geocaching contest, plus with the help of Trippy and Rusty at the Geocoin Store. :P

I wonder if the OP could get around to answering this question:

What are the new guidelines going to be? How does this differ from the old requirements?
and this one:
Does the fee cover letterboxes among other things?

Hi there, am very busy with r/l as well, so I prolly won't have lightening fast replies in here, hehehe...

But, the main difference between old guidelines are as follows:

1. Individuals used to have pay a $35 fee to place a cache in DNR approved lands. This fee was inconsistently enforced, and thus there was confusion in the land. Now, MiGO will pay a blanket permit fee that covers every cache placed upon DNR approved lands, (on an annual basis) and no individual will have to pay ANYTHING to place a cache, (except for normal parking sticker fees, etc) :P

2. Also, there was quite a bit of confusion as to just which lands DNR would, or would not allow Geocaching to occur upon. This new Proposal specifically covers all 4 division of our state's DNR, and outlines the process, and procedures to place a cache on those lands. Sure the DNR still has control (but then, it's their lands), but that's the way it should be. Pretty much as long as we don't try to place a cache in a "sensitive" area, and get the land unit mngr.'s permission beforehand, we should be good. That covers approximately 14 million acres. :P

Also, the new guidelines will be posted in MiGO very shortly. Please bear with us as we are doing a bit of restructuring and changing web hosts, etc. But it will be posted there very soon. :P

Lastly no, the agreement would not cover Letterboxes, unless the Letterbox was a hybrid Geocache. DNR is certainly aware of letterboxing, but this agreement was reached upon for Geocaching. I have also enjoyed Letterboxing as well, but MiGO is a Geocaching Org, so I stuck to what I really know. :D

So yes, this an historic agreement, and it WILL get posted, but please give us a wee bit of time.

Mucho Thanxo! :D

Congratulations. I'm sure it took a lot of bureaucratic red tape and plenty of hurdles to get to the end product. But...

We are unaware of any other State's DNR who has chosen to partner with a Geocaching Organization. Once again, MiGO is in the forefront of the Geocaching community, and will continue to work as diligently as possible for our GeoFamily.

Ahem... IDNR's second geocaching contest, plus with the help of Trippy and Rusty at the Geocoin Store. :laughing:

Or the Ohio DNR or the West Virginia DNR, which both welcome geocaching in State Parks and State Forests with zero permit fees at any level. Both have hidden their own caches and sponsored event caches. Sounds like a "partnership" to me, just like Indiana.

I am happy to see Michigan joining the club. For a price. :laughing:

Ahem... IDNR's second geocaching contest, plus with the help of Trippy and Rusty at the Geocoin Store. :P

Or the Ohio DNR or the West Virginia DNR, which both welcome geocaching in State Parks and State Forests with zero permit fees at any level. Both have hidden their own caches and sponsored event caches. Sounds like a "partnership" to me, just like Indiana.

I am happy to see Michigan joining the club. For a price. :laughing:

Hey, good thing I said I was unaware, 'cause I really wuz! :laughing:

As for the "price", well, it goes to a good cause. Plus, the MI DNR has more acreage than any other DNR that is East of the Mississippi (before you let me know if that's right or wrong, that what's the MI DNR says, lol :laughing:). But the main thing is that our sport is now open and invited upon 14 million acres! Plus, (and again, I trust you the gentle reader to let me know) I am unaware of any other state's DNR actually partnering with a statewide Geocaching Organization to help manage the sport on those lands. But yes, we're happy to be a member of the "club", mucho thanxo! :laughing:

If we didn't live in this bizzarro alternate universe, the government would be paying MIGO the $450.00 to place caches on "their " properties...Once again the sheeples give praise to their masters for not taking too much...Having said that, looks like MIGO may have outmaneuvered the state on this one. Congrats!

Actually, the small funds paid for this permission is a win/win situation for MIGO! We win because we can place hides and enjoy lands that many wouldn't likely visit otherwise. It's a win because the money can go toward maintaining our parks to keep them available for us in the future (or at least that's my thought on what the fees could be used for)!

We support our State Parks, they support MIGO....it's all good!