additional logging requirement

kdv

How would you guys feel if the logs for your caches were written in a language you don't understand?

Hi Katja, I can't speak for any one else, but this wouldn't bother me a bit. I hide caches for the enjoyement of the caching community, and I always get a thrill reading the logs. If one showed up in a language I couldn't read, I would just translate it using babelfish so I knew if they liked it, or if there was a problem with the cache. Under no circumstanses would I delete a log just because I couldn't read it.

First of all about logs written in another language, that would be soooo cooool. :P Living in Montana, all the logs in my caches are written in English or Canadian (English - heavy on the eh? :P). I would love to see a log in another language. I would be proud of it and show it off to others. :D

Second, I appreciate everyone who visits my cache.

The worst log I've seen so far was "SL" :D . Nothing else. According to everyone in the forums, this is a way of saying "I found your cache but there wasn't anything I found remarkable about it so SL" :P After I checked logs this cacher wrote about other caches, I realized he/she wrote that about most every cache. Still, it hurt. Honestly I would rather see a bunch of gibberish I didn't understand and had to translate instead of SL.

Third, deleting a log for someone who clearly found the cache.... I've only deleted logs when the cacher logged a find more then once (newbe). But you being the owner, it is your rules for your cache. I don't see it being a mystery though, just requirements for logging a cache.

Caches are required to be available to ALL cachers.

Dern. Two years into the game, and I find out my caches are case studies for discrimination. I don't own a 1/1, therefore, I am discriminating against our handicapable brethren. I reckon I better archive them all before the founders of the Americans with Disabilities Act file suit against me. :P:D:P

I think we were talking about this situation Dudley...what gave the impression I thought every cache should be accessible by all?? And I didn't realize there was a "positive" discrimination!

IMHO this is discriminating against those that don't speak this person's language. What's even funnier about this is that this person is a translator...this person knows how rough it is for those with another language and is trying to make it worse for them!

I once took a cruise with the German Bobsled team that had won the gold back in the 70's (or was it the 80's...). We had a large group of mostly Americans, but the four Germans were the most fun to "talk" with (for me). Trying to break the language barrier was tough, but the stories I understood (or thought I understood) were awesome!

Be the gracious host and translate the logs...if it really bothers you, post the translation so others can also read it. I know I wouldn't want others to see me as being rude toward our distant neighbors!

kdv...I'd be proud that someone from sooo far away visited my cache! Delete a log?? Nope!

... Your 'Found it' verification methods don't determine how to list the cache. It's the cache hide, and what it takes to find the cache that determines the cache type. ...
According to the current guidelines, this is not completely correct. Caches with additional logging requirements, such as the cache owned by the OP, should be listed as mystery caches. The OP should either change his cache to the mystery type or remove the ALR.

OK...I see. No, I don't think that's what Cardinal meant when he said that (did you Cardinal Red?) I'm thinking we're talking this type of ALR?

First of all, I don't agree that an ALR has to be any more non-discriminatory than the terrain of the cache. But even it this were the case, kdv's requirement can certainly be met by anyone who is geocaching. The fact that they are geocaching means they have access to a computer. They can use Babelfish or another site to translate what they are going to say into English or Italian and post that. It isn't as if kdv is asking them to do something that is impossible to do.

... Your 'Found it' verification methods don't determine how to list the cache. It's the cache hide, and what it takes to find the cache that determines the cache type. ...
According to the current guidelines, this is not completely correct. Caches with additional logging requirements, such as the cache owned by the OP, should be listed as mystery caches. The OP should either change his cache to the mystery type or remove the ALR.

I don't think the guideline I assume you are referring to, "Caches with mandatory requirements in addition to signing the logbook should be listed as mystery caches.", was meant to include how it is logged online. If the OP were to choose to leave this requirement in, it does not affect the find, just whether or not it can be logged online. I believe it refers to additional requirements to actually find the cache.

It sounds like the OP has revised things, so it is a moot point. Personally, I think this was the right move, not because it was discriminatory, but because it sounded like the exception and not the rule and would cause more angst then it would be worth.

... I don't think the guideline I assume you are referring to, "Caches with mandatory requirements in addition to signing the logbook should be listed as mystery caches.", was meant to include how it is logged online. If the OP were to choose to leave this requirement in, it does not affect the find, just whether or not it can be logged online. I believe it refers to additional requirements to actually find the cache. ...
I'm pretty sure that ALRs were the reason that the verbige was added.

I think we were talking about this situation Dudley...what gave the impression I thought every cache should be accessible by all?? And I didn't realize there was a "positive" discrimination!

IMHO this is discriminating against those that don't speak this person's language. What's even funnier about this is that this person is a translator...this person knows how rough it is for those with another language and is trying to make it worse for them!

I once took a cruise with the German Bobsled team that had won the gold back in the 70's (or was it the 80's...). We had a large group of mostly Americans, but the four Germans were the most fun to "talk" with (for me). Trying to break the language barrier was tough, but the stories I understood (or thought I understood) were awesome!

Be the gracious host and translate the logs...if it really bothers you, post the translation so others can also read it. I know I wouldn't want others to see me as being rude toward our distant neighbors!

kdv...I'd be proud that someone from sooo far away visited my cache! Delete a log?? Nope!

Well, CR did say, "Caches are required to be available to ALL (emphasis his) cachers." I tend to read "ALL" as "ALL", but that's beside the point, but I don't seem to be the only one that read it that way. CR?

Discrimination is simply the process of making choices among a variety of options. Everyone does that all the time. In some instances, it's used as shorthand for "racial discrimination", "ethnic discrimination" or such, but it's not an inherintly negative thing. For example, it's generally a compliment to be called a discriminating shopper or to have a discriminating pallete.

I keep reading everyone saying how it's "no big deal" for the cache owner to translate the log if he wants to read it. How is any more of a big deal for the logger to do the same. It would me MUCH more efficient since it would only require one translation. Remember, other visitors to the cache page would also need to translate the log if they didn't speak the finders language and wanted the benefit of the information the log might contain. As I've said, I'd log in the local language and my own if I were in a foreign coutry.

This is probably much ado about nothing.

I think everyone is overlooking the line in the first post that said " (it hasn't happened to my caches yet, but the new tourist season is abuut to start...)."

I went and looked at the OP's profile and went thru the logs of 7 caches found. None had this restriction listed and all the logs were in either english, italian or both.

Put it up with out the restriction. If only 1 or 2 pop up in, say, a 12 month period I think most would agree not an issue. If you see a frequent problem, then start considering other options.

I think you will find it is a non-issue.

This is probably much ado about nothing.

I think everyone is overlooking the line in the first post that said " (it hasn't happened to my caches yet, but the new tourist season is abuut to start...)."

I went and looked at the OP's profile and went thru the logs of 7 caches found. None had this restriction listed and all the logs were in either english, italian or both.

Put it up with out the restriction. If only 1 or 2 pop up in, say, a 12 month period I think most would agree not an issue. If you see a frequent problem, then start considering other options.

I think you will find it is a non-issue.

Much ado about nothing? This is the Groundspeak fourm, isn't it? I thought that's what we lived for.

You're right, though. At this point it does seem to be a moot point.

Should you ever visit Team StarBrand's little corner of the world - please feel free to log our caches in whatever native toungue you are most comfortable with.

If you choose to delete foriegn language logs, list it as a mystery cache.

I second the motion. " I am sorry you are not smart enough to speak my language of choice so you do not deserve to play this game. So untill you learn English or Italian I am just going to delete you out of my cozy little world" It has nothing to do with them being polite enough to log in your prefered language maybe they cannot even speak in your language. For criminy sakes ITS A GAME! :laughing: