additional logging requirement

kdv

Hi there,

I recently added the following text to the description of my caches:

"Logging Requirement

Please note that only logs in Italian and/or English will be accepted. Logs in other languages may (and more than likely WILL) be deleted. (I'd like to be able to understand what people have to say about my cache.)"

Now someone has told me that maybe I should convert ALL of my caches to Mystery Caches, since this aditional phrase is in violation of the following official guideline?

"Caches with mandatory requirements in addition to signing the logbook should be listed as mystery caches."

I live in Italy, and my caches are all in Italy. We quite often get tourists here and to cater for them I provide an English cache description in addition to the Italian one. However, sometimes tourists write logs for Italian caches only in their own local language (it hasn't happened to my caches yet, but the new tourist season is abuut to start...). Is it too much for me to pretend that I be able to understand what people write about my cache?

I know I can just not mention this as a requirement and delete without warning, all logs that I don't understand, but I don't see how that would work better for the geocaching community than my including this additional requirement.

How would you guys feel if the logs for your caches were written in a language you don't understand? Do you think it's reasonable that you would have to change all your caches to Mystery in order to be able to read all the logs for the caches you have taken the trouble to create?

By the way, this guideline puzzles me in general. I thought as a cache owner I have to option to define any

logging requirement I may see fit.

I welcome all feedback, especially from reviewers!

Thanks

Katja

(edited to correct a couple of typos)

Edited by kdv

I think that I would use an on-line translator to figure out your log if it was in some language other than the one (1) that I can easily read. That being said, since you have a requirement other than signing the logbook and you will delete logs if that requirement is not met, you should change the caches to 'mystery' as a favor to the cachers who look for it. This is even more important since there is a fair chance that the cachers who would violate your requirement would not be able to read it, since it is not in their native language.

Edited by sbell111

I don't think that requirement would necessitate your caches be changed to "Mystery." And, if they were, many people would never search for them. Many people filter out "Mystery" caches from search results and PQs.

With all the online Translators, albeit inaccurate, I don't really understand the problem . . . B)

Non penso che il requisito abbia richiesto che i vostri nascondigli sono cambiati "a mistero." E, se fossero, molta gente non li cercherebbe mai. Filtro fuori i nascondigli "di mistero" dal mio PQs.

Con tutti i traduttori in linea, anche se inesatto, realmente non capisco il problema. . . B)

B)

it is graciuos to allow finders to log in their preferred languages. i know ow to use language translators. it's a global game. be a good host.

I have a hard time to believe that the people logging in languages other than the local language (Italian) and the alternative, (international) language English, really wouldn't be able to write a couple of words in English (they manage ok with the English interface of the gc website, don't they?). If they are good guests, they would do it without even being asked to.

Anyway, if this should turn out to be the general consensus (it's a bit early to tell though), I guess I will be a better host if I leave out the requirement and just delete without prior warning any logs that I don't understand.

Edited by kdv
I don't think that requirement would necessitate your caches be changed to "Mystery." ...
Even if the OP will delete the log if the requirement isn't met?

In my opinion, this cache is the poster child for why the guideline was changed.

While I understand your reasoning, I don't necessarily agree. First, it is a guideline, not an all inclusive rule. While I can't say for certain, I believe it is intended to discourage the inane type ALR's such as code words, etc from caches that contain log books. One not so far from me requires you to figure out a puzzle that will give you a certain date that you need to email to the owner. The puzzle is written on the first page of the logbook of the cache YOU ALREADY FOUND!. The description says without the email, logs will be deleted.

Many of us tend to ignore most of these type of ALR's anyway. This sure does not look like a mystery cache. Having said that, those of us stateside may have the luxury of doing what you are considering because we do not have the possible issue to the degree that you may experience.

Be proud your a destination and use the online translators. Some of those translations can be rather humorous.

It's true that sometimes, vacationing cachers get home and write up their logs for their trip, which might have spanned 4 or 5 countries. And if they always log in German when they're caching at home, and they just started back at work, well, they might write a log in German on your cache in Italy.

But I don't think it's that big a deal. You could maybe e-mail them and say "hey, sounds like you enjoyed visiting my cache, could you please tell me in English what you wrote?". That seems to me to be a whole lot friendlier than upstream threats to delete logs which don't meet a specific requirement. What about logs written in poor English? Very poor English? Where's the line?

A couple of other things that puzzle me here:

1) The OP has listed her occupation as "translator". I'm slightly surprised that a translator wouldn't apparently be even remotely interested in reading something written in a language which she didn't (yet) understand.

2) Based on the OP's e-mail address, I'm guessing that she's Dutch. Last time I looked, most of the foreign-language logs being written on caches in Spain/France/Italy were in the Dutch or German languages. Most Dutch people can manage to understand written German, and last time I checked, 100% of them understood Dutch. B) Are there really so many people logging Italian caches in Finnish and Hungarian?

Yes, if you have a logging requirement, it should be a mystery, personally I like to know what is expected before I find a cache if there is more then find the cache, sign the logbook, log my find online. How many different languages do you get that causes a problem? So if I found this cache with one of my caching partners that only logged in French, you would delete their log, not very friendly in my opinion.

Anyway, if this should turn out to be the general consensus (it's a bit early to tell though), I guess I will be a better host if I leave out the requirement and just delete without prior warning any logs that I don't understand.

Just remove the last 12 words from that sentence and you will be the perfect cache host. B)

But hey, it's your cache. Off you go. Delete away. You're the one who'll be left wondering why you get flamed by e-mail.

It's true that sometimes, vacationing cachers get home and write up their logs for their trip, which might have spanned 4 or 5 countries. And if they always log in German when they're caching at home, and they just started back at work, well, they might write a log in German on your cache in Italy.

But I don't think it's that big a deal. You could maybe e-mail them and say "hey, sounds like you enjoyed visiting my cache, could you please tell me in English what you wrote?". That seems to me to be a whole lot friendlier than upstream threats to delete logs which don't meet a specific requirement. What about logs written in poor English? Very poor English? Where's the line?

A couple of other things that puzzle me here:

1) The OP has listed her occupation as "translator". I'm slightly surprised that a translator wouldn't apparently be even remotely interested in reading something written in a language which she didn't (yet) understand.

2) Based on the OP's e-mail address, I'm guessing that she's Dutch. Last time I looked, most of the foreign-language logs being written on caches in Spain/France/Italy were in the Dutch or German languages. Most Dutch people can manage to understand written German, and last time I checked, 100% of them understood Dutch. B) Are there really so many people logging Italian caches in Finnish and Hungarian?

You know *toooo muchhhhhh* (maybe you don't get the British TV show "little Britain", so you won't get the reference, in which case: never mind.

I am indeed a translator and i am indeed Dutch (but I don't believe that can be derived from my email address, which has nothing to do with anything Dutch, hm, mysterious B) [edit: duh! maybe my last name in my email address has given me away? B) ]

Maybe exactly because translation is my profession and languages are my thing, I am more sensible to this issue. As I mentioned, this foreign language isue hasn't happened for any of my caches yet, but I have seen it in other people's cache pages. It's not that I don't understand German, French, Spanish or Dutch, actually I do (I'm still working on Icelandic, Swahili, Finnish and Hungarian B)

But i just don't find it very respectful that someone would log a cache that I have take the trouble to create without even making what they write comprehensible for the cache creator. I take offense wih an attitude like that.

Rules are rules, I guess, but the thing is, if I don't mention this as a requirement, and just delete any log I don't understand (or like), then all of a sudden I am in my right again. Would the gc community really be better of that way?

Edited by kdv

If logs are going to be deleted based on a logging requirement, then it should be listed as a mystery cache under the guidelines. I think the new guidelines are pretty clear on that.

If you just state a prefernece. E.g. "please log in X language" but you don't delete logs that do not follow the requirement, then it is OK because it is not a mandatory requirement.

Also, as others have said, why not just use an online translator? They aren't perfect, but they get the basic idea across.

Rules are rules, I guess, but the thing is, if I don't mention this as a requirement, and just delete any log I don't understand (or like), then all of a sudden I am in my right again. Would the gc community really be better of that way?
How would you possibly be in the right if you spontaneously deleted logs without warning? B)

It's OK if you want this requirement, but why aren't you willing to make your cache a mystery cache as the guidelines require?

How would you possibly be in the right if you spontaneously deleted logs without warning? B)

It's OK if you want this requirement, but why aren't you willing to make your cache a mystery cache as the guidelines require?

Because I have different types of caches, and I think the existing distinction is useful.

Anyway, it seems that I am alone on this one B)

I will take the suggestion of just stating something like 'please include some logging text in English an/or Italian'.

I never planned to start randomly deleting logs, I was just a bit surprised to see that random log deletions are not in violation of the guidelines, and pretending to receive comprehensible logs would be B)

By the way, for me it was more a respect issue than a linguistic issue. I don't like the idea of people 'using' caches without even recognising that the person that has created it, might not speak their language.

thanks everyone for the input! It's been a great help!

There are people in this world that do not speak neither italian nor english. That does not mean that they cannot understand an icon on a listing or read coordinates. They can even use a gps. And may be good at it as well. So I would say remove your ALR and just delete logs at will. Those people is not capable of understanding it anyway.

Maybe this log deletion urge is something in the genes of the family?

If someone finds the cache and sign the logbook it is a find. Deleting that is not good in my opinion. B)

I am indeed a translator and i am indeed Dutch (but I don't believe that can be derived from my email address, which has nothing to do with anything Dutch, hm, mysterious B)

Your E-mail address is on display in your profile. Assuming that it corresponds roughly to your name, you would appear to have a common Dutch given name and a very common Dutch family name. And when I replaced the name part with "www.", I ended up on what I presume is your Web site, which is in English, Italian, and Dutch.

Anyway, I'm glad this all ended happily. B)

Edited by sTeamTraen
... I never planned to start randomly deleting logs, I was just a bit surprised to see that random log deletions are not in violation of the guidelines, and pretending to receive comprehensible logs would be B) ...
Your correct. Deleting logs does not violate the guideline. It violates good manners, however.

I have a cache in Disneyland. People have logged that cache in their own language. It only took me a moment to figure it out and I never felt that they were being rude.

I've had geocachers from around the world email me in their own languages. It took me but a moment to get the gist of their emails and respond. I was not sent into a huff by their usage of their own language.

I simply don't get what all the drama is about. If you want an ALR, that's fine. However, the guidelines state that ALRs should be listed as mystery caches. If I'm not mistaken, the reviewers are going to change the existing ones if they see that they are not listed correctly.

(edited to fix a grammatical error that bugged me.)

Edited by sbell111
... I never planned to start randomly deleting logs, I was just a bit surprised to see that random log deletions are not in violation of the guidelines, and pretending to receive comprehensible logs would be B) ...
Your correct. Deleting logs do not violate the guideline. It violates good manners, however.

I have a cache in Disneyland. People have logged that cache in their own language. It only took me a moment to figure it out and I never felt that they were being rude.

I've had geocachers from around the world email me in their own languages. It took me but a moment to get the gist of their emails and respond. I was not sent into a huff by their usage of their own language.

I simply don't get what all the drama is about. If you want an ALR, that's fine. However, the guidelines state that ALRs should be listed as mystery caches. If I'm not mistaken, the reviewers are going to change the existing ones if they see that they are not listed correctly.

Wow, you got permission from Disneyland? You sure must know people in high places B)

Why the word 'drama'? I ask for some input from others, is it really necessary to immediately qualify that as drama?

I am indeed a translator and i am indeed Dutch (but I don't believe that can be derived from my email address, which has nothing to do with anything Dutch, hm, mysterious B)

Your E-mail address is on display in your profile. Assuming that it corresponds roughly to your name, you would appear to have a common Dutch given name and a very common Dutch family name. And when I replaced the name part with "www.", I ended up on what I presume is your Web site, which is in English, Italian, and Dutch.

Anyway, I'm glad this all ended happily. B)

Yeah, I had figured it out in the meantime too (and I'm not even blonde!) But my common Dutch given name can not be derived from my email address, you cheated and went to the website, admit it B)

Because I have different types of caches, and I think the existing distinction is useful.

Anyway, it seems that I am alone on this one B)

I will take the suggestion of just stating something like 'please include some logging text in English an/or Italian'.

I never planned to start randomly deleting logs, I was just a bit surprised to see that random log deletions are not in violation of the guidelines, and pretending to receive comprehensible logs would be B)

By the way, for me it was more a respect issue than a linguistic issue. I don't like the idea of people 'using' caches without even recognising that the person that has created it, might not speak their language.

thanks everyone for the input! It's been a great help!

I don't speak French and most of my caches are in English only, altho I have started, with help, to translate some to include both English and French in the description. I get many logs that in French only and I have no problem with this, I know a few cachers that don't write any English and do not speak English very well, I still consider them friends and would never think to delete their logs because it was not in the language of "my choice". There are also a number of caches here that contain only a French description, I log in English as I would only butcher and babel a French log, I would be insulted if my log was deleted because I cannot speak your language, with or without a warning. I cache in my language and let others cache in their language of choice. Geocaching is about the journey and I am more then happy if someone found and enjoyed my cache in any language.

I guess it depends on two issues. And of course there is the grey area in between the extremes.

1. Do you put caches out to bring seekers to interesting locations or somewhere they might learn something of interest? Or do you put out caches for the self satisfaction of reading the logs praising your choice of location?

2. Would you rather be a gracious host, or a controlling one?

I suspect that you will see a lot of TNLNSL logs on your caches once the word spreads around the continent should you continue with the demands that finders only use these two languages. And if you do make them demands and not requests, then under the recent revision of the guidelines any new caches should be posted as mystery/puzzles. I'll bet that most travelers will filter those out (I know I do) and you'll get even less traffic. I'm not sure if you will be required to edit the cache types of those that were listed under an earlier version of the guidelines though.

Yeah, I had figured it out in the meantime too (and I'm not even blonde!) But my common Dutch given name can not be derived from my email address, you cheated and went to the website, admit it B)

No need. You signed the first post of this topic with it.

BTW, sbell111's cache in Disneyland is a virtual. No permission required.

I guess it depends on two issues. And of course there is the grey area in between the extremes.

1. Do you put caches out to bring seekers to interesting locations or somewhere they might learn something of interest? Or do you put out caches for the self satisfaction of reading the logs praising your choice of location?

Both!

2. Would you rather be a gracious host, or a controlling one?

I'll go for gracious. In fact, I am already in the process of rephrasing the 'requirement'.

No need. You signed the first post of this topic with it.

BTW, sbell111's cache in Disneyland is a virtual. No permission required.

Props to you, Sherlock B)

Why the word 'drama'? I ask for some input from others, is it really necessary to immediately qualify that as drama?
Well, I waited until the 20th post.

Maybe if you had contributed with more than 3 out of 20, you could have complained about the 'drama' even sooner:)

Well, I waited until the 20th post.
Maybe if you had contributed with more than 3 out of 20, you could have complained about the 'drama' even sooner:)
I suppose that you are correct. Clearly, I have not been participating enough lately. I'll make an effort to do better.

BTW, I actually determined that this was a 'drama' thread back at post seven, I just waited to mention it.

Edited by sbell111

If I was visiting a cache in another country, I would take it upon myself to use a translator so I could post in the local language. I'm the guest, after all. I'd also post the English text, though.

Wow you sure are the perfect guest B)

My 'requirement' didn't however impose use of the local language, English was going to be accepted too.

But I guess the lesson I have learned here is that you can't impose on people to be 'respectful'. You can only hope that they will be B)

If I was visiting a cache in another country, I would take it upon myself to use a translator so I could post in the local language. I'm the guest, after all. I'd also post the English text, though.

My 'requirement' didn't however impose use of the local language, English was going to be accepted too.

But I guess the lesson I have learned here is that you can't impose on people to be 'respectful'. You can only hope that they will be B)

The other day, I was at the market. There was a family there that was pretty much taking the same 'race track' around that I was, so we were often in the same aisles at the same time. They were speaking Russian. I guess I should have complained to the manager that they weren't showing the proper respect.

Since when is using your own language disrespectful to anyone? Good grief.

Edited by sbell111

The other day, I was at the market. There was a family there that was pretty much taking the same 'race track' around that I was, so we were often in the same aisles at the same time. They were speaking Russian. I guess I should have complained to the manager that they weren't showing the proper respect.

I don't see the parallel there. And actually, with some people I would prefer it if they speak a language I don't understand B)

I don't see the parallel there. And actually, with some people I would prefer it if they speak a language I don't understand B)
My entire point was crowded into the last paragraph of my post.

when i am in french speaking areas i usually write my log in english. our francophone friends prefer to translate my interesting log rather than to read my boring french one.

i wish for speakers of other languages to post to my caches in any language they like.

when i am in french speaking areas i usually write my log in english. our francophone friends prefer to translate my interesting log rather than to read my boring french one. ...
You make a good point. If I were require to log in a certain language, I would likely give up the translating job right about the time I figured how to say 'found it'.
..."Caches with mandatory requirements in addition to signing the logbook should be listed as mystery caches." ...
Strange, there is no mystery about additional logging requirments. They are all there in black and white. A mystery cache should have some kind of mystery about it.
I agree. However, by making them 'mystery' caches, people know to read the description. Edited by sbell111
How would you guys feel if the logs for your caches were written in a language you don't understand?

Hi Katja, I can't speak for any one else, but this wouldn't bother me a bit. I hide caches for the enjoyement of the caching community, and I always get a thrill reading the logs. If one showed up in a language I couldn't read, I would just translate it using babelfish so I knew if they liked it, or if there was a problem with the cache. Under no circumstanses would I delete a log just because I couldn't read it.

(snip)...should all my caches be converted to Mystery?

No. Your 'Found it' verification methods don't determine how to list the cache. It's the cache hide, and what it takes to find the cache that determines the cache type.

I'm not in your situation, but if I was I'd probably look into setting up a group of cache buddies who speak more than one language. You all might end up being the go-to group for log translation. Your own website, geocoins, patches, events.

Wait a minute! Jen nia mondo.

Edited by BlueDeuce

<snip> I am indeed a translator ...

Maybe exactly because translation is my profession and languages are my thing, I am more sensible to this issue. <snip>

Let me point out a likely "translation" error. How about sensitive instead?

Caches are required to be available to ALL cachers. Your ALR is discriminatory. I think archiving your caches would be a better solution.

In the parallel of the market conversation, the folks speaking Russian are carrying on a private conversation.

I'm just saying that as a courtesy, I'd attempt to post my log in the local language in addition to my own English. Not just for the cache owner, but for other local cachers who would be reading the posts for the cache.

As far as your final question... I think that when visiting a foreign country, one should at least attempt to learn some of the local language. And that if you plan on living in said country for some length of time, there is even more of a burden on your to learn the language, At very least, you should not expect everyone else to accomodate you when you aren't willing to make the effort.

You may be getting an idea of where I'm going. When Americans, in particular, travel abroad and expect everyone to speak English, they are called "ugly Americans" - to some degree, deservedly so. HOWEVER, when others come to our country and have little or no desire to learn to speak English, certain people consider it hateful or racist not to bend over backwards to accomodate them.

All that said, I would not personally delete logs in another language.

There. That should spark some discussion.

Edited by DudleyGrunt

In the parallel of the market conversation, the folks speaking Russian are carrying on a private conversation.

I'm just saying that as a courtesy, I'd attempt to post my log in the local language in addition to my own English. Not just for the cache owner, but for other local cachers who would be reading the posts for the cache.

As far as your final question... I think that when visiting a foreign country, one should at least attempt to learn some of the local language. And that if you plan on living in said country for some length of time, there is even more of a burden on your to learn the language, At very least, you should not expect everyone else to accomodate you when you aren't willing to make the effort.

You may be getting an idea of where I'm going. When Americans, in particular, travel abroad and expect everyone to speak English, they are called "ugly Americans" - to some degree, deservedly so. HOWEVER, when others come to our country and have little or no desire to learn to speak English, certain people consider it hateful or racist not to bend over backwards to accomodate them.

All that said, I would not personally delete logs in another language.

There. That should spark some discussion.

one should at least attempt to learn some of the local language.

Should. Yes, probably a good idea. A very good idea.

A reason to delete a Found It with a signed logbook....eh.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I do see your point. I have two longer term caches and as of yet, all logs have been in my native language. On a personal level, I don't care what language the log is in as long as they had fun finding the cache. I would be disappointed that I couldn't read the log, but I would never delete it. Were it to happen to me, I would probably run it through a translator until I found the right language :P I wouldn't be put out by that though. Just my opinion!

I would definitely agree with Cardinal on this...discrimination. kdv....hmmmmmmmmm

Are you seriously agreeing with CardinalRed that every cache needs to be accessible by every cacher or the owner is guilty of discrimination (in the negative sense)? Or just that it is discrimination in this case?

If there is a requirement listed on the cache page, why shouldn't it be enforced?. A language requirement is for the benefit of the owner and other local cachers. Again, I wouldn't add such a rule to my own caches, but if it's posted on the cache page...

Edited by DudleyGrunt

I would definitely agree with Cardinal on this...discrimination. kdv....hmmmmmmmmm

Are you seriously agreeing with CardinalRed that every cache needs to be accessible by every cacher or the owner is guilty of discrimination (in the negative sense)? Or just that it is discrimination in this case?

If there is a requirement listed on the cache page, why shouldn't it be enforced?. A language requirement is for the benefit of the owner and other local cachers. Again, I wouldn't add such a rule to my own caches, but if it's posted on the cache page...

I'm confused. Are you saying that people who sign the logbook and post a found it have to speak the language of the hider?

Edited to say: If it's required?

hmmm, I guess it's part of the cache owner can delete any log for whatever reason rule.

Edited by BlueDeuce

....How would you guys feel if the logs for your caches were written in a language you don't understand?...

That's a question with a variable answer. If All I ever saw were logs in a strange language it would get old fast. I enjoy reading the logs. If I'm not getting that out of my caches I'm really not getting the enjoyment I could be having.

If it's the occasioanal log I'd run it through babelfish or some other translation site and laugh at the goofy translation.

I doubt I'd delete the logs though. I'd be more inclinced to just archive the cache if it wasn't working for me.