Dummy Mobile Phone laying around your house?

Alibags

Obscure topic title I know. At my Christmas Event back at the start of December last year, JollyJax rather inexplicably dished out a load of dummy Eriksson mobile phones. A TB race was discussed at the time, but nothing was ever organised. After a bit of nagging from various dummy phone owners, I have decided to gauge whether there is enough interest still around to revive this idea.

So, if you were at the event and still are the proud owner of a dummy mobile phone, would you still be interested in a TB race? I guess we could also open this up to anybody else who wants to use their own dummy or old or kiddy toy phone.

I have been discussing various ideas for the race, and have a few up my sleeve, but for now I only want to guage interest. Details to follow.

Cheers! B)

I was waiting for Jollyjax to advise on the availablity of extra phones (and yes, I admit it, slacking!!). Hmm, will remind him over the weekend.

I don't mind organising this TB race but I think it would be good if all participants had some input about the race rules rather than them just being handed down from one source. I was thinking of agreeing a series of challenges for each TB to undertake, for example being photographed at a phone box by a famous landmark, as well as visit a certain sort of cache (with phone in the name!). I would therefore like to invite suggestions for suitable challenges.

Also, to attempt to avoid the mucking about that occurred in the last race I was involved with, I think we will implement a 1 cacher = 1 challenge rule, so that a cacher does not pick up a racing TB and then take a whole load of pictures/perform a load of challenges and skew the whole race. As this is a race to do things as well, rather than just a straight first post the post mileage race, hopefully this sort of thing can be avoided a bit better. We can also have multiple start points, to avoid all the TBs languishing in one spot for a very long time.

So, in summary:

TBs to be dummy phones, old phones, toy phones, dog and bones or other phone themed item. This should be no smaller than standard mobile phone size to prevent any possible size advantage.

TBs to undertake a set of challenges and reach a series of targets, my suggestions for two of these is

1) be photographed at a phone box by a famous landmark

2) to visit at least one cache which is phone named or phone themed

Right gang! Over to you... We shall start this as soon as we get a good set of challnges and all those people who are on board so far (late comers welcome) let me know they have their bugs primed and ready.

List so far:

JollyJax, Alibags, Dorsetgal & Geodog, Pimply Saul, HazelS, Chizu, The Nutters, Tyrolean Maid, The Corieltauvi, Alice Band, SarahJane, Pharisee, Silver Fox, The Great Redmondo, purple_pineapple, The Bongtwashes, Pengy&Tigger, jelly custard and sprinkles, Jaz666 (using a dummy Etrex!) and last but by no means least Housefamily,

Right gang! Over to you... We shall start this as soon as we get a good set of challnges and all those people who are on board so far (late comers welcome) let me know they have their bugs primed and ready.

If this is open to everybody i'd love to join in :) But as a latecomer I won't hold you up, if I don't have mine ready quick enough i'll bow out.

What about destination and time allowed to get there? There is a village called Nokia in Sweden :laughing:

Should we have a 'Most distance travelled' hall of fame too?

My dummy Ericson set to stun - just waiting for the confirmation for destination, time allowed for plus agreed challenges so I can print off and laminate a card for it :laughing:

Edited by Alice Band

hmmm...

How about visiting a puzzle cache which you have to solve using a mobiles keypad? (are there many of these?)

or

Photos outside mobile phone shops

and

surely someone could think up something PAF related for this????

...sorry rambling....I'll shut up now

Sarah

Destination: In keeping with the theme of the race I suggest one near this cache in the cache-rich district of Nokia in Finland. I'm sure a post in the Baltic forums might get a volunteer who would be willing to help :anibad:

Tasks: Well, there are all sorts of tasks we could get people to do. In every country there places where fields are filled with giant satellite dishes - to keep in the spirit of mobile communication I think such a photo with a TB and dish/dishes would be part of the fun and more likely to be achievable by the finders of the TB's. Many cachers avoid puzzles and having that as a task might put people off.

So basically: A race for the first dummy phone to reach a designated cache in the town of Nokia in Finland. If your TB reaches the final cache without a photo of it by a telecommunications centre then it wont count.

I think a time allowance of 1 year should do it?

I think Alibags or Jollyjax should have the honour of naming the contest :anibad:

Edited by Alice Band

How about 'to be photographed with as many people as possible - pretending to use the phone'.

Then we could have a deadline to reach the final cache, but the real winner would be the one with the most photos?

And obviously we'd have to have a 1 photo per cacher rule.

- Geoff

Edited by housefamily

Possible late entry here Alison as I have a non working businessman's Nokia that with a suitable located drill I can attach a tag to.

I reckon that Kiwi Gary's offer of a race to NZ is a good one.

Get him to set up a receiving cache.

Just call it something on the lines 'Cache to PAF to Cache Race'

If the Finland idea takes of I have some Finnish caching contacts.

Edited by 2202

As all the dummy phones we got from JollyJax are Sony Ericsson, I am not sure about visiting Nokia in Finland! :) We could however include caches in Nokia in the broad category of phone named/themed caches that the TBs already have to visit.

I am inclined to keep the tasks non specific to a single destination /country /cache to introduce a bit of variety and also to make it possible for any bug to win and one bug not to be able to pull away with a huge advantage. If anybody has ever sent out a bug with a specific destination, you will know how slowly they can get there if at all, but sticking to a general theme may make things easier.

Some other ideas along the lines I was thinking of...

The TB must acquire a 'phone charm' at some point on it's travels

The TB should be photographed with a cacher, a cachers pet or a cachers car that is also a TB

The TB should get at least one log in the style of a mobile phone text message (perhaps if I can get my hands on a spare PAYG SIM, we could have a mobile number to which loggers of the TB are invited to send a typical text joke to?) (clean!!)

The TB should be photographed on a cachers mobile phone camera and they will then have to upload the image to the log

I was thinking that as the tasks are completed, they can be ticked off. We could run the race for a set time period and award points for each completed task, for each 100 miles (for example) travelled, for each physical cache visited and perhaps have points for best log and best photo, after the time has elapsed. This way it will be about the journey travelled and adventures along the way, rather than a straight dash to get to/from a specific location.

What do people think?

bump.gif

Just to say....is the race still happening? :blink::unsure:

As for another idea....We all know how important our mobiles become if we are broken down, have an emergency or just need to communicate when we find ourselves in the middle of nowhere. We could perhaps have a race to see which TB was taken to the most remote spot ever. Every month we could have a top ten list, and at the finish date the winner would naturally be the one who got to the most remote spot, ever. There's a cacher currently on a ship by Antarctica for instance... :laughing:

Rules would be simple and along the lines of - must be X distance away from the nearest village/town, must be at least x distance from the nearest road and so on. Being in a cache or just taken to a point is optional, but photographic proof taken with a GPS for co-ordinates confirmation is vital.

My phone is tagged up and is beginning to collect dust on the shelf its lurking on :huh: I would like to release it soon :huh:

I thought that this had quietly died the death as the only person who actually responded with any suggestions for the race was yourself, Alice. I wasn't unhappy about this, as I was somewhat nagged into it in the first place as somebody had the idea that as JollyJax was dishing out the dummy phones at my Christmas event, I should organise the race.

If you would like to volunteer to take on the organisation of the race, just let me know where you want me to stick this dummy phone (polite only I am afraid! :( ). I know you are capable of turning out a very nice website, so I reckon you would do a far better job than me anyway.