How to ignore emails from my caches?

chuckr30

I own one active cache right now. How do I ignore just the emails I get when people log the cache? Is the "Ignore listing" on the top right of the cache page the correct link? I still want the cache to appear in lists of caches, and on the "My caches" page.

I'm asking because I get 2-4 emails per day from this and really I don't need to read them.

It baffles me as to why anybody would place a cache and just not care that people are logging it. Or what they think about it. How will you know when a problem is reported?

If the location and the cache mean so little to you - why did you plant it? Just curious.

Having said that - it is easy enough to setup a filter or rule in your email program to dispose of them.

It baffles me as to why anybody would place a cache and just not care that people are logging it. Or what they think about it. How will you know when a problem is reported?

If the location and the cache mean so little to you - why did you plant it? Just curious.

That was my initial thought, too. I actually enjoy reading the logs from finds made to my caches. Also, it's a great way to be immediately notified that there may be a problem with one of them.

I'm kinda stumped, too, like StarBrand, why you would place a cache if you didn't want to hear anything more about it. Care to share your reasoning?

I own one active cache right now. How do I ignore just the emails I get when people log the cache? Is the "Ignore listing" on the top right of the cache page the correct link? I still want the cache to appear in lists of caches, and on the "My caches" page.

I'm asking because I get 2-4 emails per day from this and really I don't need to read them.

Go to your cache page and look in the top right corner for the Navigation box. You'll see things like, log your visit, view gallery, watch listing, etc.

Select the 8th one on the list, archive listing, and when it asks you if you're sure say yes, fill in the required field with a short explaination of "I don't want to receive the annoying emails any longer" and they'll stop immediately.

No problem.

As others have pointed out, it is probably not wise since there is no way to tell if there is a problem.

The cache was only placed recently (21-JAN-07) and while it may seem like more, is averaging less than 1 per day. A new cache gets more activity by it's very nature. You will probably have another minor surge as things warm up there in Michigan after which, you will probably see things slow to something you will find more manageable.

If you are still determined to ignore them, your email client should be able to filter them to a folder for you.

Go to your cache page and look in the top right corner for the Navigation box. You'll see things like, log your visit, view gallery, watch listing, etc.

Select the 8th one on the list, archive listing, and when it asks you if you're sure say yes, fill in the required field with a short explaination of "I don't want to receive the annoying emails any longer" and they'll stop immediately.

No problem.

That was going to be my suggestion.

No problem.

well not really he will still get the archive listing email B)

No problem.

well not really he will still get the archive listing email B)

I'll leave it up to you to tell him how to set up his email filters to make sure that last email doesn't make it into his inbox. B)

Just quoting some guidelines...

Cache Maintenance

...The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

Bold Red added for emphasis.

If you don't get the e-mails, how do you maintain your cache?

Adopt the cache out to someone else.

Not a bad idea.

I could find a very nice place for a cache. Plant it, list it and then find someone who would be happy to own it and maintain it. Then I could check the logs from time to time to see what people have posted. Everybody wins.

If you don't get the e-mails, how do you maintain your cache?
Well, he could glance at the cache page occasionally. Reading the emails is not the only way to learn of a problem with your cache. It is merely the alternative that most of us find most convenient. The guidelines do not require you to read the log emails.

A bunch of people ate their Snarky-Os this morning.

Edited by sbell111

A bunch of people ate their Snarky-Os this morning.

I don't think so. I think they are legitimate respoonses being that the OP hasn't clarified his/her reasoning for not wanting the emails yet. If they come back and say "I visit my cache page once per week to check on it" or somthing similar that's fine.

As it's posted it reads more like "I don't want to get these annoying emails. I jsut want to have my cache out there and forget about it"

Granted, I'm taking some liberties with the wording here, but you get the point. With all the crappy caches out there, nobody wants to think that somebody doesn't want to bother keeping tabs on their cache.

A quick reply from the OP will celar things up I'm sure, but I had the same reaction they did when I read the OP.

I imagine he checks his account a lot and figures he doesn't need the email too. Makes sense to me. However, I'm in to instant gratification! I personally get a little shiver of delight every single time I get an email saying someone has found one of our caches. I never get tired of reading the comments -- it's a huge part of the fun for us!! To each his own though, he DID say he wants to make sure it stays on his list. I think he'd just prefer to check the account and read all the logs from there rather than dealing with the individual emails. I've had a cache or two on my watchlist that got so many logs I got tired of it and stopped watching, so I can kind of understand where he's coming from...