Waypoint is way off!

ToGoKo

Hi all! I recently got a Garmin eTrex Vista CX, the first problem was that the screen has a line of messed up pixels from top to bottom, about 1/8in from the side. I brought it back to the store to have them order me a new unit and they are letting me keep this one untl the new on is in! Great customer service!!!

I have only used the Etrex to find one nearby cache and it got me within 4 feet. After reading of all the problems with the eTrex series being way off, I thought that was pretty darn good! Anyway, my parents live very close to a large river, about 50 yards from the riverbank. So, I marked a waypoint, while sitting in thier kitchen (with good sat reception). When I look at the map, it shows that thier kitchen is in the middle of the river!?! I can be sitting in the same chair, as where I marked the waypoint, and it tells me that I am 0.2mi from it. I went outside and re-marked the waypoint, but I got the same results. I took a walk around the neighborhood and the track shows that I was walking around in the river. BTW, this is not a trick question, they do not live in a house-boat and as far as I know I can not walk on water!! :DLOL

Does anyone have an idea, as to why this is happening? I am just using the base map that came preinstalled in the Etrex and haven't uploaded or changed anything (waiting for the new unit). I know that the preloaded basemap is probably not the best map out there, but is it common for it to be off by nearly 1/4 mile????

Thanks in advance, for any help that you may be able to offer!!

Does anyone have an idea, as to why this is happening? I am just using the base map that came preinstalled in the Etrex and haven't uploaded or changed anything (waiting for the new unit). I know that the preloaded basemap is probably not the best map out there, but is it common for it to be off by nearly 1/4 mile????

Ok this may seem sort of simplistic but did you zoom down? I own the same machine and have found it to be very accurate although it is my first receiver.

Ok this may seem sort of simplistic but did you zoom down? I own the same machine and have found it to be very accurate although it is my first receiver.

Yup!! When I am zoomed out, it looks as thought the icon is on land, only because it is so big in relation to the river. The closer I zoom, the bigger the river, and that puts the icon in the water! Very strange! It's not a little tiny river either. Probably >1/4mile wide at that location.

The basemap isn't very precise. My bet is that the receiver is pretty accurate (at least when you are outside) but that you are overzooming for the basemap's level of accuracy.

ah huh! Ok, that seems logical! I knew there had to be some reason, but I sure couldn't figure it out. Now this brings up the question... Are all/most maps this inccurate? If not, what would be a better map.... For little or no $$$?