What GPS unit to buy. Do you NEED topo maps?

cbxcamel

I have been wanting to buy a gps for the past couple of years. Mainly a handheld to be able to take anywhere with me and also use in the car. Geocaching has become a big interest for me, so that is now a factor in getting a gps. I have been set on getting the Garmin 60csx, but have come to the realization that I cant spend that much for the gps and all the maps. Could end up doing it, I would hate to buy something and end up getting the 60csx shortley after.

So finally my question :lostsignal:

Should I just hold of 3 or 4 more months and save for the 60csx or pick something up a hundred or two cheaper? My main reason for the 60csx is the ability to get a strong and to keep a strong signal.

Also, are Topo maps a must have when geocaching? It would save me around $80 if I dont really need it.

Thanks for anyones time, Im sure this question has been asked a thousand diff ways in this forum.

The 60CSX is a great choice.

You can get the unit, then get the maps later on. There is a base map on the unit, though the detail is lacking. It only has main roads.

Topo maps are not a must have. I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of geocachers don't use them. If you do most of your geocaching in suburban and urban areas Topo is practically useless.

If however you like to hike and plan on doing much of your geocaching off the beaten path, topo maps on your unit can be extremely useful. It's helpful knowing if there is a swamp, cliff, ravine, hill, stream, etc... between you and your destination. It can be a time saver when you know which side of a stream the cache is on or whether its at the top of or bottom of a cliff. That said, you can get by printing free Topozone maps. Then maybe you can ask for Mapsource Topo in the future when your birthday or Christmas comes along.

I have Mapsource Topo and City Select on my 60CSX and find myself using Topo about 80 percent of the time.

Also, you might want to save a bit of money and get the 60CX. The altimeter is only useful if you are a mountaineer and a $10 handheld compass will work as well if not better than a magnetic compass in the unit (you should have one along anyways in case your batteries die).

You might be able to save even more if you choose the Map76CX. Its a bit bigger than the 60 series but functionally it is identical. It used to be more expensive than the 60 series, but because it doesn't sell nearly as well it is now priced lower than the 60 series.

Edited by briansnat

I have the Garmin 60cs and love it. The 60csx sounds awesome! I may have to upgrade in the future. I have found the 60cs to be very easy to use, reliable, and free of any problems.

I do have both the city street and topo maps, and have used them frequently. There have been some caches in the wild where there is no obvious route or trail to the cache location. It helps to be able to visualize the cache position relative to both terrain features and elevation.

If you are serious and plan to stick with the sport, I say spend the big $$! It may sting the pocketbook, but you will have a unit that you will be happy with for many years.

If you can wait for the 60csx, do it. Otherwise go for the Venture cx.

As for Topo, I don't have it and have hiked many distances and to many caches without it. I do use Google Earth to check the terrain and mark trails. I also have Topo! a desktop topo program, but I find I use G-E 95% of the time.

I have a 60cs, but when I upgraded I bought the 60CX. I didn't use the added features enough to justify the additional cost, and I didn't find the electronic compass to be accurate enough. I now carry a decent magnetic compass for when I need one. I have Garmin's Topo for hiking and am using City Select for auto-routing. Until you have a GPS that will do auto-routing you don't know what you are missing.

You will want City Navigator though. It makes a good unit into a great one. You'll be using it for many things outside geocaching.

Agree with that suggestion. I have used our 60CSX to navigate in San Antonio, TX and it is great. The amount of time you save by not having to look at a map or getting lost is just incredible.

I have a 60csx and love it. Another option on the topographic maps is make your own for free. There is a very informative thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...garmin&st=0 which teaches you how to make your own very detailed topo maps for free. I have made quite a few for my self and I am very pleased with the results. Plus the price is right.

I would check with Garmin before loading non standard software. Doing so may void your warranty.

I have a 60csx and love it. Another option on the topographic maps is make your own for free. There is a very informative thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...garmin&st=0 which teaches you how to make your own very detailed topo maps for free. I have made quite a few for my self and I am very pleased with the results. Plus the price is right.

I would check with Garmin before loading non standard software. Doing so may void your warranty.

Not a problem, this does not void the warranty and ultimately you use MapSource to integrate the maps into the GPSr. I use City Navigator NT for my street maps and the home made topo for off road caching and hiking. They work like a charm. Many folks have used the same process. It is of course time consuming as it can take hours depending on the USGS website to get the data to make one map the equivalent of a USGS quad, but then right now I don't need very many maps.

you can go without the maps, but once you have them, you'll wonder why you didn't get them earlier. Maps make a great GPS (60CSX) that much better. The maps may seem expensive, but I got (bought) paper maps from over the years that go beyond the price of the topo's. And once you have the maps, you can print up anyone you want.

Canada Topo is pretty awesome, and you can autoroute also. Canada doesn't have any locks on our maps.

Edited by simplyred