Repacking a cache

:lostsignal: Sometimes cache owners are generous and fill their caches to the absolute limit. This is great, but not everyone has the puzzle-piecing ability to get it all back inside. Sometimes it seems like there's twice as much to put in as there was to take out in the first place. Things get smashed, torn, broken or left outside of the container.

Here's a hint that seems to ease things a bit:

Start with the big things first. Put the smallest things in last.

It's a simple enough rule, but it really helps. It's just a little FYI. Some people seem to be having trouble, based on some of the broken swag we've found.

:lostsignal: Some people seem to be having trouble, based on some of the broken swag we've found.

I generally start my caches with broken swag. I mean, that's what caching's about, right? Just getting rid of the things I don't want?

If I come to a cache that's overstocked with a lot of goodies, I'll just take out half to alleviate the problem. For every item I take out, I put in something smaller (like a golf ball, golf tee, expired coupon, or broken swag I couldn't fit in my own cache).

I spend days filling that container so the finders wont be able to get all that stuff back into it.It makes me fill good when their only option is to take a few extra items.

I never considered that confusion sets in.I will leave plenty of room from now on.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Edited by halffast

I've had a few caches that wound up pretty stuffed. What I don't get are the logs that say something like "Had a real hard time getting everything back inside. Took nothing, left a flashlight".

Personally, if I have a real hard time stuffing things back in, I'll try to take the largest item whether I want it or not.

If I can't get the top of the cache back on I will take the odd little bits of stuff that won't fit and move it on to the next cache I find that needs stuff- always seems to be plenty of those.

I opened one cache in a parking lot that was crammed full. Very clever cache. I didn't think I'd ever get the stuff back in. I was there for quite a long time messing with it and managed to get it all back together and get back in my car only minutes before another cacher came zipping up and parked next to me.

I've had a few caches that wound up pretty stuffed. What I don't get are the logs that say something like "Had a real hard time getting everything back inside. Took nothing, left a flashlight".

Personally, if I have a real hard time stuffing things back in, I'll try to take the largest item whether I want it or not.

B)B)

I've seen a few such logs on my caches too......

We've gotta hit all the previous caches! "Sounds" great ! But...

We just did a maintenance check on a string of caches we hid on a small trail.

The caches that once had a ton of good swag, now has bits and pieces of junk.

Someone even thought a bottlecap was a good cache offering and every bag one was in was punctured.

EVERY ONE was missing the pencil sharpener, meant for (duh) the log pencil. (It WAS with the log and pencil.)

We placed new logs, pencils (yes, they take those too), torn bags and sharpeners.

Not sure if we want to "repack" these hides any longer...

I've had a similar problem but it was where I take the cache out of a hiding spot and then have a major problem trying to get it to fit properly in the spot when I replace it. I can find a hide that is totally concealed and then have a heck of a time putting it back so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. What's up with that?

If I come to a cache that's overstocked with a lot of goodies, I'll just take out half to alleviate the problem. For every item I take out, I put in something smaller (like a golf ball, golf tee, expired coupon, or broken swag I couldn't fit in my own cache).

Yes, but don't forget the movie ticket stubs. I love those things! Psst! I'll let you in on a little secret; when we find those in caches we just take them without leaving anything in return. Pretty rotten, huh?

Uh huh. The normal load of broken, expired junk isn't an insurmountable problem - it's the ungodly TBs that some people place. Found one once that used a full-size Teddy Bear as a traveler. Like a dummy, I took it along. Like to NEVER found a cache big enough and empty enough to hold that beast.

I think I finally resorted to virtually emptying an ammo box of the legitimate trade items (luckily almost all of it fell into the "broken junk" category) and stuffed the bear inside.

Resolved to never again use a TB traveler bigger than a matchbox for my own bugs.