Alberta Geocaching

Ditman

I just wanted to start a new post for Alberta geocachers or people travelling through Alberta who stop to geocache. I figured it would be nice to share stores with people who live in the same province as me. I am hoping that people will share their stories, tips, favorite caches and the likes.

I first heard of geocaching about 4 or 5 years ago from a coworker but didn't really get started until about 2 years ago and am addicted. I have my Dad addicted too, he certainly goes to a lot of work to get cache hunts lined up. My favorite cache so far is Mr. Burl.

Hope to see some postings soon. Great day!! Take care!!

:):lostsignal:

I was just hoping to get more of a broad area instead of just the Calgary area or just the Edmonton area. I live in Edson which is two hours west of Edmonton and I suppose that could fall under the Edmonton area but I thought if people from smaller communities outside the larger areas wanted to contribute, they could.

I was just hoping to get more of a broad area instead of just the Calgary area or just the Edmonton area. I live in Edson which is two hours west of Edmonton and I suppose that could fall under the Edmonton area but I thought if people from smaller communities outside the larger areas wanted to contribute, they could.

Wow! Small world. A friend of mine just moved to Edson. He's teaching at the school.

Edson eh? I was going to plant some caches in Edson. Unfortunately, I ran out of time or it was too late in the evening. I do have my eye on a few places though. I was also planning a winter ski-up-to-it cache at the ski hill not too far to the north of Edson. But alas the hill is closed for the year and the cache will have to wait until next season.

I know this is going to be a weird analogy but it ties in somewhere along the story. I enjoy playing an online game that has a looking for group feature. I know there are some sites that do this but it is usually for a more specific area like Edmonton or Calgary. It would be nice to be able to do something similar in Edson which is a smaller community. Any tips or hints out there? Maybe there might be a person or few from Edson who will spot this and maybe try to drop me a line about wanting to do a group geocaching session. Anyway, just a thought. Great day!!! Take care!!!

:laughing:<_<

I just did some geocaching in Alberta two days ago as I drove from Fort Saskatchewan to Dawson Creek alone in the trusty station wagon. The cache in the Valleyview rest area was the most appreciated of my trip. Man is the road between Whitecourt and Valleyview ever boring! I demand an Alberta geocacher put a cache in Fox Creek . . . please! :laughing:

A cache I didn't get to do but is in a beautiful area north of Grande Prairie is "The Hills Have Eyes." (GCYOYP) I hope I can get back there someday. I also liked the drive on Hwy 37 north of Edmonton. It was much lovelier than the concrete world observed by driving through Edmonton on the Yellowhead. Left a geocoin in GCX8RC for anyone who cares to follow my tracks at all! :anitongue:

does anyone know ow long it takes to get a cache reveiwed in red deer or alberta? thank you

Yep, usually a day to 3 days, sometimes a little more during weekends or holidays and sometimes less. Cache Effect should be reviewing your cache soon, the guidelines state that usually a cache will be reviewed in about 3 days so give it some time, we are cachers as well and volunteers with other activities on the go.