Display POI's

mike909

Is there any way to display all the POI's from a poi database on the 60csx? Ultimately I would like to be able to view caches, benchmarks, and waypoints all seperately as their own layer. For example, the custom POI's don't appear unless I click on one and select 'map'. I would like to have the ability to display all of them at once, or not display any of them (default).

A good example of the real implication of being able to do this is....I load up 50 caches for an area I will be traveling to, but don't want them as waypoints, because they clutter up the map, so I make them POI's...or disable waypoints rite? well the problem there is...it hides 'all' the waypoints, not just caches, or benchmarks, or whatever. I would like to be able to show all the caches in the area, then be able to easily not show all the caches in that area. Does that make any sense?

Edited by mike909

You can load them still as Waypoints, then go to the Map screen and hit the menu button, then Setup Map. Once there, you will want to navigate to the Flag Icon (3rd from the left) and go to User Waypoints. You can set that to the distance you have the zoom set or lower in order to see the waypoints. If you want them off completely, you can set it to OFF. Otherwise, set it to 1.2mi or 2mi like I do and you can see the caches off in a distance to find clusters.

You can also adjust the zoom level for the POIs under Map Points.

Edited by MetroGT

You can also adjust the zoom level for the POIs under Map Points.

Well, setting a different zoom for POI's than for Waypoints pretty much achieves what I want, provided I have loaded all my custon poi's correctly. (except poi's don't include 'notes' so I don't get the cache description.)

Is there any way to change the icon of certain custom POI databases? for example, have the cache custom poi's appear with different icons than the benchmark custon poi's.

Edited by mike909

Is there any way to change the icon of certain custom POI databases? for example, have the cache custom poi's appear with different icons than the benchmark custon poi's.

Yes. Just create separate bmp icons for each type of custom poi.

There should be one bmp icon for each gpx poi file; eg, if you have 2 collections of pois: 'benchmarks' and 'watering holes'. The database files that contain each of these pois will be 'benchmarks.gpx' and 'watering holes.gpx'. Now, create 2 different bmp icons (you can use MS Paint and your creativity here - but limit the icon size to 16x16) and name them 'benchmarks.bmp' and 'watering holes.bmp'. Place both of these files in the same folder as the gpx files. The next time after you run POI Loader your pois will show as different icons.

Yes. Just create separate bmp icons for each type of custom poi.

There should be one bmp icon for each gpx poi file; eg, if you have 2 collections of pois: 'benchmarks' and 'watering holes'. The database files that contain each of these pois will be 'benchmarks.gpx' and 'watering holes.gpx'. Now, create 2 different bmp icons (you can use MS Paint and your creativity here - but limit the icon size to 16x16) and name them 'benchmarks.bmp' and 'watering holes.bmp'. Place both of these files in the same folder as the gpx files. The next time after you run POI Loader your pois will show as different icons.

It works for subdirectories too. I separate caches by type so I can query 1000 caches, the query max of 500 for each type.

\POI\Caches\Reg.gpx

\POI\Caches\Multi.gpx

\POI\Caches.bmp

I do summits too.

\POI\Mountains\OregonMTN.csv

\POI\Mountains\WashintonMTN.csv

\POI\Mountains.bmp

\POI\Caches\Reg.gpx

\POI\Caches\Multi.gpx

\POI\Caches.bmp

I do summits too.

\POI\Mountains\OregonMTN.csv

\POI\Mountains\WashintonMTN.csv

\POI\Mountains.bmp

So I assume you load this manually to the SD card right? Maybe something like set filters to what you want in GSAK, export it, and then copy them to the card in the directory order you want?

Edited by MorganCoke

i have a follow-up question. How do you create bmp. files? I have several catagories of POI's downlaoded, but none "show" on the map. I beleive it's because I don't have any bmp. files but I havent seen how/where I can create them.

*I add that I have the detail set for .5mi and display all set.

Edited by Firefighter Skippy

They should show without custom icons. Without them, they use the default icons.

You need to be zoomed in close enough to see them. If the "map points" control is in the default "auto", then they only show up from around 80 to 200 meter zoom levels depending on the main map detail level settings.