New Coin Preview

jantiques

Hi, I am new to geocaching, and the geocoins have really caught my interest.

I have designed my first personal coin and wanted to give an advance preview of it, maybe some feedback?

I have been working with this with Sara at Oak Coins and hope it will be available in about 1 month.

It is based on a game we used to play when I was growing up in Western NY.

It is a snow game, where you pack down a pattern like a big old fashioned wheel with spokes. The middle is a safe zone. The person who is "it" is the fox and the others are the geese. The fox chases the geese until he catches one who then becomes it. Only one goose/person is allowed in the safe zone at a time!

So long story as to why I am calling this coin Fox and Geese.

I have been trying to resize this image. I hope it is not too large!

FinalFoxGeese-2.jpg

I like it. It's a really well done first coin. I personally might have put a little space between the fox's face and the goose wing but outside of that I think it is a really nice coin.

I know I'll buy one. If your taking reservations now or later, please let me know. I'd like to be on that list.

Include your caching name to make it your personal coin. Since the game of Fox and Geese has little to do with geocaching your geoname does. Any colour?

But wait... you don't have any finds yet. Do you geocache?

Edited by Droo

Include your caching name to make it your personal coin. Since the game of Fox and Geese has little to do with geocaching your geoname does. Any colour?

Good point about the personal caching name. I have looked up caches in my area but have not gone out looking. Will see what the future brings on that front! Thanks!

Edited by jantiques

Good point about the personal caching name. I have looked up caches in my area but have not gone out looking. Will see what the future brings on that front! Thanks!

Pass. It's nor personal without your name, and with NO cache finds I'm not interested in supporting somebody that may/may not be around in 3 months time.

Sorry.

I'd like to know a little bit more information as well. I like regional coins and personal coins, especially if it is a cacher/coin designer of note. There seem to be more coins for the sake of profit springing up. More power to you for doing this, but I like some story or meaning attached as well.

Why no finds, etc and all of a sudden a coin? What's the motivation behind the coin? How does it tie into caching?

I'm not meaning to be rude, but they're questions I'm legitimately interested in knowing the answer to, if possible.

Will this coin be for sale exclusively in your ebay store?

I only buy personal coins from cachers. I have no interest in buying a personal coin from someone who is just an ebay store and no finds.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but personal coin or not, you have no finds behind your name.

I happen to really like this design, but I'm in the same camp here. A personal coin is a signature item left in or traveling from cache to cache. Get out there and find some caches and you'll find a lot more support for your coin. It's a nice look and I like the story (having played the same game under a different name), but I'd like to know more about the cacher and this coin doesn't appear to currently have a link to geocaching.

Seriously?! Zero finds, five finds, ten finds, does it make that much difference? I've seen others embraced with just a few finds, so what's the big difference here?

For me it has nothing to do with caching and I don't buy personal coins, so I'll pass.

edit to add-I'm the skeptic type that won't order coins from a newbie, just in case that wasn't a known fact, so that would be another reason for my passing.

Edited by Hula Bum

:P But you do have a GPS or are you just a collector of coins?

:laughing: But you do have a GPS or are you just a collector of coins?

I have only been introduced to this hobby in the past few months. I will see what I can do about getting more ground experience! But I must confess I do find the coins fascinating....would love to go the the coinfest, but it is on the other side of the country.

I like it. It's a really well done first coin. I personally might have put a little space between the fox's face and the goose wing but outside of that I think it is a really nice coin.

I know I'll buy one. If your taking reservations now or later, please let me know. I'd like to be on that list.

Thanks for the feedback. Geoswag will be handling this coin.