Loading all 306 maps City Navigator v.8 to Vista CX

haply

I installed City Navigator v.8 on my laptop. Got the codes. All went OK.

Opened Mapsource (6.12.2) and selected all maps(US and Canada) for transfer to the Vista CX.

Renamed the map set "US and CA" and clicked on Transfer Send to unit.

The Vista Cx is equipped with a 2 GB MicroSD card. Anti Virus and Firewall disabled. USB 1.0

Currrently the transfer of 309 maps totalling 1633.8 MB (1.6 GB) has been in progress for more than two hours and is 54% complete.

(Give me a break! :lostsignal: )

Is there a faster/better way to do this?

I installed City Navigator v.8 on my laptop. Got the codes. All went OK.

Opened Mapsource (6.12.2) and selected all maps(US and Canada) for transfer to the Vista CX.

Renamed the map set "US and CA" and clicked on Transfer Send to unit.

The Vista Cx is equipped with a 2 GB MicroSD card. Anti Virus and Firewall disabled. USB 1.0

Currrently the transfer of 309 maps totalling 1633.8 MB (1.6 GB) has been in progress for more than two hours and is 54% complete.

(Give me a break! :lostsignal: )

Is there a faster/better way to do this?

I have not done this myself, but from what I have read on here, a high speed card reader is a faster way to do it. I put all the maps I thought I would need on a 2gb card and do not intend to change them frequently. That is kind of the point of a 2gb card!

The Garmin only supports USB 1.0; plugging it into a USB 2.0 port will not improve its data transfer speed.

To get a faster transfer, you need a card reader and a computer that BOTH support USB 2.0.

I do have an SD card reader with an adapter for a Micro SD card.

Which files do I transfer to the card?

The Garmin only supports USB 1.0; plugging it into a USB 2.0 port will not improve its data transfer speed.

To get a faster transfer, you need a card reader and a computer that BOTH support USB 2.0.

I do have an SD card reader with an adapter for a Micro SD card.

Which files do I transfer to the card?

You go into MapSource and hit the "Send to Device" button. When the dialog box comes up, select the card reader from the drop down list.

You go into MapSource and hit the "Send to Device" button. When the dialog box comes up, select the card reader from the drop down list.

I called Garmin Support and "Mike" told me to do this also.

Aborted the transfer.

Took the MicroSD card, erased the file that was on it.

Currently the download to the card reader is in progress.

Started at 5:35 pm EDT.

It is now building Index files on the MicroSD card.

Projected time 1 1/2 hours. At 5:55 pm 16% complete.

I suspect that maps etc. will be another transfer phase.

It makes me wonder if I should have bought NT on a card.

Additional Edit:

At 6.27 p.m. EDT it is still building Index files. 26% complete.

Mapsource is using 45 MB of memory and CPU usage is 94% to 100%.

Why could Garmin not have included an index file when one selects

a full transfer of all maps.

Edited by haply

Final Tally: Times EDT p.m.

7:35 Building Map Set 9% complete. Mapsource 14 meg memory. CPU 87-100%

8:55 Building Map Set 99% complete 32 seconds remaining

8:58 Transferring Map Set (creating a file on the card in a directory called Garmin)

9:33 Transferring Map Set

9:34 Data succesfully sent

In the Garmin directory is a file called gmapsupp.img 1.647.744 KB

Insert card into the Vista CX.

Find function works for addresses and POI's. (Sighing relief)

Conclusion: Sending to Card Reader or directly to Vista CX takes approx. the same

amount of time.

Now I got to figure out how to add TOPO without having to go through all of this again.

Conclusion: Sending to Card Reader or directly to Vista CX takes approx. the same

amount of time.

Now I got to figure out how to add TOPO without having to go through all of this again.

It never takes my pc that long to process the index file/build mapset, you must have an older slow computer? Transfering the maps only took you a couple minutes with your card reader, I can guarantee that if you would have transfered those maps directly to the device, it would have took way longer.

You need to upload both mapsets at once, select all the city navigator maps you want, then switch mapsets in mapsource to topo and select the ones you want(2025 map segment limit), now send to your card reader like before.

Edited by hogrod

Final Tally: Times EDT p.m.

7:35 Building Map Set 9% complete. Mapsource 14 meg memory. CPU 87-100%

8:55 Building Map Set 99% complete 32 seconds remaining

8:58 Transferring Map Set (creating a file on the card in a directory called Garmin)

9:33 Transferring Map Set

9:34 Data succesfully sent

In the Garmin directory is a file called gmapsupp.img 1.647.744 KB

Insert card into the Vista CX.

Find function works for addresses and POI's. (Sighing relief)

amount of time.

Hate to say this, but you should have done them all together. When you send Topo you will erase your current upload. I put all my topos, City nav and custom maps all on at once.

amount of time.

How do conclude this? In your initial post you stated that loading directly to the unit took over two hours to get 54% complete. Loading to the card reader took about two hours total. It seems to me the card reader was much faster.

As stated by others, you need to load all the map segments (topo and streets) at the same time. The software will join all maps into a single file. Therefore, all map data is overwritten each time you upload any map.

GW

How do conclude this? In your initial post you stated that loading directly to the unit took over two hours to get 54% complete. Loading to the card reader took about two hours total. It seems to me the card reader was much faster.

See previous post. Finished at 9:34 p.m. EDT

4 hours. Same as projected time for directly loading to the Vista Cx.

The card reader came in handy for installation to a second laptop without a DVD drive.

I copied the files and directories from the DVD to a directory of the same name as the DVD label.

After installation I accessed the ".unl" file saved to the 2 GB SD Card from the Unlock Wizard on laptop #1.

Installation to the second laptop went without a hitch.

GPS not connected. Not connected to Internet.

Note: The Vista Cx works like a charm on the road.

I use the "Go to" function exclusively.

It is held by a cell phone holder placed on a "Sticky Pad" on the dash board.

TOPO? I think I will purchase a cheaper version of Etrex with only a Topo Map.

:lol: Thanks to all for the input. :lol:

… As stated by others, you need to load all the map segments (topo and streets) at the same time. …

ooh boys. yes, that’s the lame garmin way. give this a try:

rename the gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img. then this file will stay on the card while downloading the topos. the topo download will end as an supplementle gmapsupp.img. have fun.

happy mapping from hamburg.

Happy Hunting – The Old Fashioned Way (Trads only, NO vanity caches, exceptions may appear)

Mein Herz schlägt im Westen.

See previous post. Finished at 9:34 p.m. EDT

4 hours. Same as projected time for directly loading to the Vista Cx.

The card reader came in handy for installation to a second laptop without a DVD drive.

I copied the files and directories from the DVD to a directory of the same name as the DVD label.

After installation I accessed the ".unl" file saved to the 2 GB SD Card from the Unlock Wizard on laptop #1.

Installation to the second laptop went without a hitch.

GPS not connected. Not connected to Internet.

Note: The Vista Cx works like a charm on the road.

I use the "Go to" function exclusively.

It is held by a cell phone holder placed on a "Sticky Pad" on the dash board.

TOPO? I think I will purchase a cheaper version of Etrex with only a Topo Map.

:laughing: Thanks to all for the input. :laughing:

Why would you do that. Having both map types on one unit is great. You toggle between them to see what you need. Next time you get ready to load maps, set it to work right before you go to bed. It will be ready by morning!.