original magellan explorist battery....

I've had my Explorist 500 for a couple of years now, and it started to act funky yesterday. I couldn't get it to shut down, even using the multiple keystroke combo, so it became necessary to pull the battery to get it to turn off. Today, I think the battery gave it's last gasp of life. I can't get the unit to power on at all.

I found the thread with the Motorola battery number, and I've got a bid out on one. Hopefully, this will fix the problem.

How long have any Explorist users gotten out of their original battery? I'm guessing that I've done pretty well to have it keep going this long, since my cel phone battery usually croaks a lot more rapidly.

Of course, this whole affair has to happen when I've finally got a few days off to go caching. I'm stuck here now until the new battery arrives. Bummer. <_<

I've had my Explorist 500 for a couple of years now, and it started to act funky yesterday. I couldn't get it to shut down, even using the multiple keystroke combo, so it became necessary to pull the battery to get it to turn off. Today, I think the battery gave it's last gasp of life. I can't get the unit to power on at all.

I found the thread with the Motorola battery number, and I've got a bid out on one. Hopefully, this will fix the problem.

How long have any Explorist users gotten out of their original battery? I'm guessing that I've done pretty well to have it keep going this long, since my cel phone battery usually croaks a lot more rapidly.

Of course, this whole affair has to happen when I've finally got a few days off to go caching. I'm stuck here now until the new battery arrives. Bummer. <_<

It does not sound like a battery problem

Already cleaned the contact points...

Magellan support gave me a stellar response, telling me that I needed to hook it up to a computer. (DUH! The unit doesn't power on, so that won't do me a heck of a lot of good.) Second response was to send it in for repair, so I guess we'll see if the unit actually is repairable.

And all of this after a bunch of new caches got put out in my area. Looks like the PDA is going to get to do a trial run of BeeLine GPS.

Take your SD card out and try starting it without the card. IF a file on it is corrupted, it can cause problems, such as not booting up, and possibly your problem. Worth a try. If this is the problem you may have to do a chkdsk with fix command on your card while it is in a reader attached to your computer.

Edited by EScout