Do you use two GPS units or one? - how many at home?

We have a Magellan 600 and Garmin 60CSx that my better half and I carry when geocaching. We have a spare Garmin Forerunner 201 at home if we have company and they want to go geocaching. In our two vehicles we have a Magellan 6000T and Magellan 760.

Storm180

So how many GPS units do you have at home? Do you have an extra for relatives to use, if you get them to go out looking for caches with you?

I have a Delorme PN-20 that goes in the woods and on the waters with me because it has topoquads showing and I love that. I also have a Garmin 60Cx that I use for auto-navigating and for finding needed POI's. In my emergency kit is a Magellan 315 to use should there be a need to find or report a location. It is with all my other survival gear.

I also have an older Magellan and a Pharos CF gps for my Axim 5.

I'm sure many will report multiple GPS'rs and use for a variety of reasons.

I sold my Garmin eTrex Legend when I upgraded to my Garmin 60csx. In the car I used a Garmin StreetPilot i2 until yesterday when I received my new Garmin Nuvi 360. If my wife doesn't want the i2, I will sell it.

So, basically, I have no spares for other people to use. I could borrow one from my dad or a friend if I needed to have a spare for a particular outing that they are not attending too.

I have a Garmin 60CSx and a Venture CX that I thought I was buying as a backup. I wanted one unit that stayed in the geo-vest (60CSx) and one that stayed in the car for auto routing, guest cachers, etc.

I find that I am using the Venture CX for almost everything, including as a primary caching device. The smaller size means I am more likely to have it with me and the real world performance is comparable to the 60CSx (we don't have a lot of mountains or canyons here in Minnesota). It hangs comfortably from around my neck while I walk the trails and the alert tones are louder than the 60CSx for autorouting. Now I let guests lug around the brick (aka 60CSx).

I've got a Garmin GPSII which by today's standards is a dinosaur,a GPS V which is nearing dinosaur staus,and right now I can't decide to get a 60csx or a Magellan xl or 600 eXplorist.The II was purchased in 2000 for hunting and whatever,and my fascination started there LOL.I might just say the hell with it and get the XL/600 and the 60csx.Stll deciding.

No matter how many you've got though,there's always that one you always seem to reach for.

We have two. We use a Lowrance iFinder GO for most of our caching and an old Lowrance IWay 100M for navigating in the car. But the 100M almost works perfectly as a handheld as well (won't go into details we've done lots of forum entries on it), so we often take it out of the car and with us on a cache hunt as well as looking at the map screen is pretty handy. And this way both of our kids get to hold a GPS :smile:

So how many GPS units do you have at home? Do you have an extra for relatives to use, if you get them to go out looking for caches with you?

Two, 1st purchase-LifeDrive/TomTom. 2nd purchase Magellan eXplorist XL (I like big screens).

In all my years (53) I've never found a x-over product that did either of it's intended functions

well, "Neither fish, nor fowl" seems to apply more often than not. Now if Verizon would just get

their head . . . . ! (expletives deleted)

Norm

I have two. A Garmin 60Cx and a Garmin Forerunner 205. I use the 205 when I am running. Previously I used the 60Cx when I ran, but Garmin has a $50 rebate on the Forerunner 205...and I couldn't pass it up for $139!

Edited by Barrikady

I have my 60Cx and my old 60c for back up and for guests to use. Just last weekend I bought a street pilot c320 for my car because I had to send the 60Cx to Garmin for repair, or at least that is what I told my wife. Fry's had them on sale for $198.00 and that included City Navigator NT 8.0! I am hoping that Garmin's policy of allowing 2 unlocks for each software will hold true for the City Navigator NT so I can load the maps on my 60Cx too. :laughing:

I started with a Legend which I still have. I upgraded to a 60CS three years ago. I later picked up an iQue 3600 off Ebay which I use as a Palm and on occasion another GPS. I live in an area that has very few trees so the need for the SirfStarIII chip hasn't made me want to cough up another 300-400 bucks.......yet.

I asked that roll call - which is different than what the OP asked - be carried on in the existing thread and even linked to it.. Since this is an old thread being bumped and getting traffic beyond the OP's original question, I'm closing this one.

/me flips sign. Closed.