Importing waypoints from a txt file

I have a list of way points in a txt file that I need to load on a Garmin GPS 72.

How can I convert this data to load?

Thanks

I'd hack it into some dead-simple format gpsbabel understands (like garmin_poi) and either upload that as poi or use gpsbabel to convert into something like gpx (depending on what the 72 will handle).

GPSBabel supports about a gazillion formats and can easily be taught more. But the advice give above is pretty good; sometimes it's easier to tweak the data to match an existing format.

The big problem is that a "txt file" can mean just about anything. It could be a sequence of words written in a word processor saying "turn left at the house with the brown cow". It could be a list of lat/lons or lon/lats. Defining what your "txt file" really is happens to be the big part of the battle.

If you have GSAK, go to "Tools / Grab Coordinates", then choose "txt file". With the coordinates in GSAK, you should be able to download to a Garmin GPSr. I know how to do that with my Explorist. Someone else here my be able to help with that part.

Well, I learn something new every day B) ! I never knew GSAK would do that! I'll bet robertlipe had a hand in this with his GPSBabel, so thank you Robert! I took an old .txt file I made a long time ago that has 4 columns (fields); Type/Name/Lat/Lon. GSAK asked me which columns represented Lat, Lon, and the Name, and it created a beautiful waypoint file that I could save in the various file formats. I saved my test as a Garmin .gdb file, and a .gpx file, and loaded them into my 60Cx and Legend. Perfect! So PerfectPair, this is a simple, elegant solution to your question.