60CSX -vs.- Palm PDA (TX or E2) and BT SirfIII

It is apples and oranges.....

The PDA solution will provide a bigger screen and allow the use of the entire cache page information BUT is not waterproof or rugged.

Don't forget to add in the cost of maps. You might want to look at the Garmin Mobile 10 as that includes North American maps.

I think you are correct. It is Apples and Oranges comparison.

MAPS!! dadgum that is something I did not have on the radar.

I was looking at all the things that a person can do with a 60CSX and I think I am heading that direction. If I find a bargain at the $250 price I know I will get it. Right now personally I am using a Garmen Legend C, but the problem in Connecticut is narrow rock wall/canyon/hill areas, and reflection.

The only problem I see with the PDA/GPS setup is that PDA's are not built to take the pounding that GPSr's have to endure on the trail. They are not waterproof (quite the opposite has been my experience), & they don't react well to being dropped, bouncing off a rock, and landing in the mud. I could see their benefit if you did only urban caches, but I wouldn't want to haul it around the back country with me.

I own a 60 CSx and I love it! The kids and I have put it through its paces (and continue to do so regularly, but thats another story) and it has performed wonderfully. It has literally been dropped, stepped on, sat on, and has never missed a beat. We have a pda that we pack with us to keep all of the cache pages in, but it is usually safely stowed away in our cachepack.

One other thing to consider is how the unit is powered, does it take AA or AAA batteries, so that you can easily carry a spare set and/or stop at any convenience store between cache locations and pick up? Or does it have a built in rechargeable battery that will require hours to recharge? I would hate to be 3-4 miles up a trail and have my GPS die on me with no way to get more charge to it. That would be a bad thing, IMO.

Thats my 2 cents....hope it helps.

I can buy a Garmin 60CSX at around $300

or

I can buy a Palm PDA (TX or E2) and a Bluetooth SirfIII chipped GPS for around $250 combined

has anyone investigated which is the better solution? Hope this is not too technical a question.

I have both. I had the Palm so I bought a Bluetooth GPS. They both tell you where you are and how fast you are moving. I never bought any mapping or navigation software for the Palm. I tried the free CetusGPS and it gives a pointer and bearing to a waypoint, but the bearing is a true bearing not magnetic. Battery life for the TX with Bluetooth on is very low. I consider the Palm GPS a toy compared to the Garmin.

Get the Garmin 60CSx, and the City Navigator maps . . .

and

an inexpensive Palm like the M500 to keep all the cache data with you. That Palm is inexpensive enough that if it gets broken, you aren't out a lot of money. I've been using my Palm M500, in a hard case, for more than two years now. <_<

I consider the Palm GPS a toy compared to the Garmin.

Ahh, but if you had routable, voice guidance maps on the PDA for car navigation, you would think differently. The 60Cx looks like a toy (in the car) after that.

I have both (a PDA/GPS and a 60Cx). The PDA does the auto routing and holds the cache page information and the 60Cx is for the field. The PDA is an order of magnitude better than the 60Cx for car navigation.

Unfortunately, there is not one great all in one unit at this time.

and

an inexpensive Palm like the M500 to keep all the cache data with you. That Palm is inexpensive enough that if it gets broken, you aren't out a lot of money. I've been using my Palm M500, in a hard case, for more than two years now. <_<

I know this is a bit of a hijack - but can you tell me what software one needs to install on an M500 to be able to store and browse .gpx cache info from geocaching.com? Also, is there any need for the M515 color version if this is the only use the Palm will get? I've been realizing that printing out and carrying these cache pages is getting to be a hassle. Amazon sells these via thrid-party sellers - is this the best way to go? Thanks! Edited by yooper_gps

I have a Palm TX with TomTom navigation software and GeoNiche geocaching software and it beats any handheld GPSr I've seen hands down for geocaching in terms of functionality. In terms of ruggedness and battery life, however, it's not so hot. You can get external battery packs that use AA batteries, but that compromises portability somewhat. The biggest problem is that it doesn't like water and it doesn't take too well to being dropped (especially the screen). As for price, plan on adding $150 for TomTom (which you can get packaged with a BT GPSr for that) and $25 for GeoNiche.

BTW, in response to yooper_gps...GeoNiche (http://www.raydarlic.com) lets you store and browse .gpx cache info, guides you to the caches, and keeps track of what you've found (among other things).

If I didn't already own a Palm I would also take a look at Pocket PC PDAs (as much as I hate Microsoft), since the BeelineGPS (http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/) software available for them looks pretty slick.

Craig

Edited by cpatch

I know this is a bit of a hijack - but can you tell me what software one needs to install on an M500 to be able to store and browse .gpx cache info from geocaching.com? Also, is there any need for the M515 color version if this is the only use the Palm will get? I've been realizing that printing out and carrying these cache pages is getting to be a hassle. Amazon sells these via third-party sellers - is this the best way to go? Thanks!

Usually CACHEMATE software for $8 should do it for storage of cache data. GEONICHE software is more sophisticated for $25 as it can do integrated navigation.

Buying a PDA is like any used device purchase. I rarely ever have problems, but when I do it is hard to get it resolved. 50/50 chances to save bucks. Only buy a PDA that has an expansion memory slot, as you will need to store more data, and to backup your PDA settings, with backup software (costs another $10).

Edited by Ellteejak

and

I know this is a bit of a hijack - but can you tell me what software one needs to install on an M500 to be able to store and browse .gpx cache info from geocaching.com? Also, is there any need for the M515 color version if this is the only use the Palm will get? I've been realizing that printing out and carrying these cache pages is getting to be a hassle. Amazon sells these via thrid-party sellers - is this the best way to go? Thanks!

I use Cachemate on my Palm M500. Registering Cachemate is only $8.00, which is really cheap. I've used that software for more than two years and have never had a problem with it. <_< I Export the .pdb files from GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

I know someone who got a "new" Palm M500 on eBay for only $30.00 including the shipping. Investing in a hard case, for another $10.00 is a very good idea. The case I found at BigLOTs! has saved my Palm from damage.

Some of the color Palms are harder to see in bright sunlight than the monochrome Palms.

and

an inexpensive Palm like the M500 to keep all the cache data with you. That Palm is inexpensive enough that if it gets broken, you aren't out a lot of money. I've been using my Palm M500, in a hard case, for more than two years now. :lostsignal:

I know this is a bit of a hijack - but can you tell me what software one needs to install on an M500 to be able to store and browse .gpx cache info from geocaching.com? Also, is there any need for the M515 color version if this is the only use the Palm will get? I've been realizing that printing out and carrying these cache pages is getting to be a hassle. Amazon sells these via thrid-party sellers - is this the best way to go? Thanks!

I use Cachemate on my Palm M500. Registering Cachemate is only $8.00, which is really cheap. I've used that software for more than two years and have never had a problem with it. :) I Export the .pdb files from GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

I know someone who got a "new" Palm M500 on eBay for only $30.00 including the shipping. Investing in a hard case, for another $10.00 is a very good idea. The case I found at BigLOTs! has saved my Palm from damage.

Some of the color Palms are harder to see in bright sunlight than the monochrome Palms.

I haven't gone paperless yet, but very soon now. I would have thought that I could just get a big .gpx file from geocaching.com, suck it into the PDA to have the rich cache pages there, import the same .gpx file into ExpertGPS, and be done with it. Not so?

I have a Palm TX with TomTom navigation software and GeoNiche geocaching software and it beats any handheld GPSr I've seen hands down for geocaching in terms of functionality. In terms of ruggedness and battery life, however, it's not so hot. You can get external battery packs that use AA batteries, but that compromises portability somewhat. The biggest problem is that it doesn't like water and it doesn't take too well to being dropped (especially the screen). As for price, plan on adding $150 for TomTom (which you can get packaged with a BT GPSr for that) and $25 for GeoNiche.

BTW, in response to yooper_gps...GeoNiche (http://www.raydarlic.com) lets you store and browse .gpx cache info, guides you to the caches, and keeps track of what you've found (among other things).

Craig

1) waterproof - ness well that can be fixed. Just buy an otterbox, or a waterproof bag. People use PDA equipment on boats all the time. Of course that adds to the overall cost comparison again.

2) batteries - dead too early. That is a big issue. Even using a Palm E2 PDA in full bluetooth mode (need to connect to a bluetooth SIRFIII GPS) might kill the batteries in less than a few hours. I think we all need to be able to use our GPS - PDA combination for a full 15 hours at least (then recharge overnight).

3) Maps and other tools. Here is the cost killer!! Updated maps cost money. I think the IQUE 3600 (with maps) is the best solution. Though getting a Palm PDA TOMTOM map set sounds very very nice (and running it on a cellphone PDA). Too many nice toys.

and

an inexpensive Palm like the M500 to keep all the cache data with you. That Palm is inexpensive enough that if it gets broken, you aren't out a lot of money. I've been using my Palm M500, in a hard case, for more than two years now. B)

I use Cachemate on my Palm M500. Registering Cachemate is only $8.00, which is really cheap. I've used that software for more than two years and have never had a problem with it. B) I Export the .pdb files from GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

I haven't gone paperless yet, but very soon now. I would have thought that I could just get a big .gpx file from geocaching.com, suck it into the PDA to have the rich cache pages there, import the same .gpx file into ExpertGPS, and be done with it. Not so?

I haven't used ExpertGPS and don't think my Palm can read "rich cache pages."

GSAK filters, slices, and dices the "big .gpx" files I get from my Pocket Queries. From it I Export those caches in the .pdb format for my Palm. Cachemate is only $8.00 to register, and it is so feature-full, I cannot imagine trying to use a different method of viewing the cache pages, checking Past Logs, and logging my own "Found It" experience. B)