Micros are taking over Iowa

Former Hawkeye

A couple of times a year I tried to get down to my hometown of Burlington, Iowa. This trip has gotten more fun since I started geocaching. I even stopped to do a easy puzzle one in Cedar Rapids last August. My concern is there are so many more micros popping up on the new cache page.

I have read that originally the idea was to have a nice FINDABLE cache where the walk (or hike) is part of the reward of geocaching. These good caches are where you see nice things or wildlife are getting to be a much smaller part of the total hides.

I challenge each and every cacher to think-"Could I find something bigger than a nano or a film canister in this area?"

In the future I will make sure I thank every one who hides a small, regular or large cache!!!!

I just wrote a note on a new cache in ND. A 4 part micro-just list me NGTL (not going to look).

I'm tired on writing just my intials on little pieces of paper that I have to painfully roll up to jammed into nanos.

C'mon Iowa-you can do better!!!!! Lead the way like you do in education.

A couple of times a year I tried to get down to my hometown of Burlington, Iowa. This trip has gotten more fun since I started geocaching. I even stopped to do a easy puzzle one in Cedar Rapids last August. My concern is there are so many more micros popping up on the new cache page.

I have read that originally the idea was to have a nice FINDABLE cache where the walk (or hike) is part of the reward of geocaching. These good caches are where you see nice things or wildlife are getting to be a much smaller part of the total hides.

I challenge each and every cacher to think-"Could I find something bigger than a nano or a film canister in this area?"

In the future I will make sure I thank every one who hides a small, regular or large cache!!!!

I just wrote a note on a new cache in ND. A 4 part micro-just list me NGTL (not going to look).

I'm tired on writing just my intials on little pieces of paper that I have to painfully roll up to jammed into nanos.

The way I explain this sort of happening is that as the number of geocaches grow, so does the number of views on what geocaching is about. For better or worse I think there are enough cachers around that there is a certain subgroup to which geocaching is not so much about "taking a walk in the woods and seeing views, animals, neat things" and more about 'trying to have the most crafty difficult hide around, (no matter where it is)'. Thus having a micro only 40 ft from that parking area is ok so long as the cache is a tiny almost needle in a haystack difficult hide.

The way I explain this sort of happening is that as the number of geocaches grow, so does the number of views on what geocaching is about. For better or worse I think there are enough cachers around that there is a certain subgroup to which geocaching is not so much about "taking a walk in the woods and seeing views, animals, neat things" and more about 'trying to have the most crafty difficult hide around, (no matter where it is)'. Thus having a micro only 40 ft from that parking area is ok so long as the cache is a tiny almost needle in a haystack difficult hide.

Yep, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's part of being in something this big. There is going to be a fair amount of subjectivity. Browsing caches near Ames last year I noticed a fair number geared toward the college environment. One multi-cache even seemed to need application of college level mathematics to solve. Personally, I enjoy a difficult cache. I also enjoy the variety and creativity people bring to the game. Some people create physically challenging finds, some create mentally challenging finds, some are just plain views into their life in some way and some are the more traditional "interesting walks"...

I enjoy the diversity and look forward to my youngest kid getting old enough to walk around with myself and the rest of Team Signal to do more caching on the weekends while mom is at work (that and we're in the middle of moving to DSM area and potentially going through building a home all of which cut into fun time). :huh:

Edited by egami

So far (knocks on wood) the micros up this way are appropriate for their location. I see nothing wrong with micros themselves. In fact I have a series of five nanos that take you to different locations around town. Each is hidden where a medium, or for the matter a small, cache could not be hidden. I also have two urban large caches. I thinks the location should dictate the size of the cache. When they're done right micros can be fun. Unfortuantely they also lend themselves to the quick thoughtless hide. That's when the get frustrating.

"Yep, it's yet another parking lot" or "Oh, what a quaint little dumpster." :)

I think micros have their place in an urban setting, but what I don't like is hiding a micro in the woods where you could hide a cache the size of a boxcar!

I do think it becomes a game, as to who can think up the most evil hide (using blinkies?).

It'd be nice if they updated their definitions on their guide to hiding a cache. The definition of micro reads:

Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 litres -- typically containing only a logbook)

I just found a cache at an event this past weekend that was about the size of a can of chewing tobacco, but was listed as a micro (which I had no problem with that designation...even though technically it may have been slightly larger that the definition). It was under a small walking bridge in the state park and it was found multiple times that day.

Now, if you are talking nanos (and it'd be nice to see that updated in the guidelines since it's basically a legit term anymore) then I can see your point in where they'd be annoying in those types of settings, but I think you still have to recognize that there are some cachers that, as sadistic as they may be, really enjoy these types of finds. :D

Somone commented about micros in the woods.

I have found some of them, and wondered too,

why bother when a five gallon can would disappear

in the clutter? I have commented on some that one

could hide a body where a micro is hidden in the

great quantity of dead logs and weeds.

Some woody areas are so hidden, one could sit

there for a week, and not even muggles would

see you!

Micros in Woods-I have found one where someone else wrote-"Hey-you could like a Mack Truck in these woods."

I did have a funny experience of a road trip. With my GPS not being helpful I looked for a micro in the woods and DNF because all I could find was a tree had been cut down. Guess where the micro was hidden! the owner archived the cache.

Last week I actually found another nano-so I can find them-but it is so frustating getting the paper rolled just properly to fit. Please take into consideration that I'm not the only "old" lady who likes to cache. Thanks!

Please take into consideration that I'm not the only "old" lady who likes to cache. Thanks!

I try to take into consideration that there are a vast majority of individuals who enjoy caching and that evey cache isn't for every cacher.

Please take into consideration that I'm not the only "old" lady who likes to cache. Thanks!

I try to take into consideration that there are a vast majority of individuals who enjoy caching and that evey cache isn't for every cacher.

And that's why I've hid everything from a nano to a 5 gallon bucket. Every cache may not be for everyone, but every should be able to find a cache for them. :drama:

...I challenge each and every cacher to think-"Could I find something bigger than a nano or a film canister in this area?"...

Normally the answer is yes. Locally we went to the dark side and I was there with them. Then I discovered the Decon container. Small, but holds swag and put aside my film canisers and never looked back. Over time for various reasons most locals did the same. There are few new caches that are micros in my town. Of course I also filter them out now...

...I challenge each and every cacher to think-"Could I find something bigger than a nano or a film canister in this area?"...

Normally the answer is yes. Locally we went to the dark side and I was there with them. Then I discovered the Decon container. Small, but holds swag and put aside my film canisers and never looked back. Over time for various reasons most locals did the same. There are few new caches that are micros in my town. Of course I also filter them out now...

I definately understand the frustrations with these minis. I love to take my grandkids caching but what fun is it for 3 and 6 yr olds to find a blinkie? I think it's interesting that I was told that the moratorium was put on virtuals because everyone wanted to find caches with swag. Well, hello, how are minis different. No swag there? Just had to throw my two cents worth in because there are folks who can't go stomping through the woods in their wheelchairs who could find virutals.

Spothors

I definately understand the frustrations with these minis. I love to take my grandkids caching but what fun is it for 3 and 6 yr olds to find a blinkie? I think it's interesting that I was told that the moratorium was put on virtuals because everyone wanted to find caches with swag. Well, hello, how are minis different. No swag there? Just had to throw my two cents worth in because there are folks who can't go stomping through the woods in their wheelchairs who could find virutals.

Spothors

We cache as a family, with a 4, 6, and 9 year old. We hunt all types, but usually save the mini's for just Mom and Dad to find. I'm sure, with all the filters available, you can weed out the micros and find only the kid friendly ammo boxes in your area. Have fun with it!

Spothors

We cache as a family, with a 4, 6, and 9 year old. We hunt all types, but usually save the mini's for just Mom and Dad to find. I'm sure, with all the filters available, you can weed out the micros and find only the kid friendly ammo boxes in your area. Have fun with it!

Yep, we filter them out. It works but unfortunately in western Iowa there aren't a lot of caches period. We've gotta get going on that. NVG has been working hard to hide a bunch. I've gotta get on the stick and get somemore out there as well. Happy Caching.

:laughing: Well, as one of the largest hiders of micros in Iowa, allow me to put my two cents in on this topic! I don't think the issue is so much one of size, as it is of proportion - how does the size of the cache fits its surroundings? There will be a column in an upcoming IGO newsletter called "What's Reasonable?" (modesty prevents me from naming the author :laughing: ) which addresses exactly this controversy.

Consider some of these situations, with my opinion:

1) Micro on ground in woods in half-acre of fallen leaves, bad.

2) Micro on tree in woods (thinking of Mad, Mad World of Micros in Marion), no problem.

3) Ammo can in plain sight in woods, bad.

4) Ammo can hidden in fallen tree, better.

5) Ammo can hidden in place 10 feet from what appears to be logical hiding place, great!

Everything in life grows and evolves - things that stay the same we label as "dead." For some, caching is a long walk in the woods. Others say there is no challenge, no "game" or "sport" to that. I've been to a cache series in a park near Peoria, IL, where every single can is highly visible. What's that called? Hiking! Actually, I was a hiker before becoming an "off-road" hiker, i.e. a geocacher. I think a good thing to remember is that no one "owns" the sport. It's nice if you were here in 2001 or 2002, but does it make you better, or more qualified to judge another? Innovation is always challenged and criticized, but I wander...back to topic,,,it's really a question of striking a balance between a challenge and a feeling that it can be found with a minimum of frustration. If cachers feel it's a fair contest, then success has been achieved....And, then there's Hanna Park Micro...arrrrrrrgh! :anitongue:

Edited by Blue Grass Tom

2) Micro on tree in woods (thinking of Mad, Mad World of Micros in Marion), no problem.

5) Ammo can hidden in place 10 feet from what appears to be logical hiding place, great!

Everything in life grows and evolves - things that stay the same we label as "dead." For some, caching is a long walk in the woods. Others say there is no challenge, no "game" or "sport" to that. I've been to a cache series in a park near Peoria, IL, where every single can is highly visible. What's that called? Hiking! Actually, I was a hiker before becoming an "off-road" hiker, i.e. a geocacher. I think a good thing to remember is that no one "owns" the sport. It's nice if you were here in 2001 or 2002, but does it make you better, or more qualified to judge another? Innovation is always challenged and criticized, but I wander...back to topic,,,it's really a question of striking a balance between a challenge and a feeling that it can be found with a minimum of frustration. If cachers feel it's a fair contest, then success has been achieved....And, then there's Hanna Park Micro...arrrrrrrgh! :P

You got the name wrong in number 2, and I just disagree with number 3. If the cache is in plain site (ie difficulty 1) it will either end up being stolen by some non cachers, or its in an out of the way place that few to none visit so it doesn't matter if its in plain site.. However, since few caches are far enough BFE to never been seen, being in plain sight probably isn't a good idea.

Also, I think this a prime example of what I posted earlier. There are as many views of what geocaching is, and of what makes a cache good or bad, as their are different geocachers. One person may call something micro spew, while another says its fun new caches. Someone may think a cache is too buggy, or thorny, or just far from the car, while others won't even notice since thats what they expect from this thing we call geocaching.

Ranking a caches quality by how "difficult" it is to find them - how sad. I perfer folks to find my caches and non-cachers to not spot them. It is the location of that hide that matters more to me. That is what I want to share. Not hard to hide a micro in a tree. I would rather enjoy the journey and the location then spend a frustrating hour poking through the branches. I walk away when the fun meter drops to zero. Since I cache with my kids - a micro in the woods is a waste of caching space. Micros have thier place and its not out in the woods.

Ranking a caches quality by how "difficult" it is to find them - how sad. I perfer folks to find my caches and non-cachers to not spot them. It is the location of that hide that matters more to me. That is what I want to share. Not hard to hide a micro in a tree. I would rather enjoy the journey and the location then spend a frustrating hour poking through the branches. I walk away when the fun meter drops to zero. Since I cache with my kids - a micro in the woods is a waste of caching space. Micros have thier place and its not out in the woods.

I agree wholeheartedly! I love clever caches but ones that are just hidden for the enjoyment of having them never found baffles me. I want cachers to find my caches and enjoy finding them. I once found one in TX that was a film case in the belly of a rubber rat. What a hoot. it was easy but well worth finding just for the entertainment value. Cache ON! We cache with the Grandkids a lot and they love it. But, who enjoys looking for a micro in the "hundred acre wood"?

I agree wholeheartedly! I love clever caches but ones that are just hidden for the enjoyment of having them never found baffles me. I want cachers to find my caches and enjoy finding them. I once found one in TX that was a film case in the belly of a rubber rat. What a hoot. it was easy but well worth finding just for the entertainment value. Cache ON! We cache with the Grandkids a lot and they love it. But, who enjoys looking for a micro in the "hundred acre wood"?

I agree. Micros have there place but not in the woods.

I have read with pleasure the different thoughts on the growth of the micro population in caching. I will admit I have had some luck in finding micros. I hope the hider of micros will realize that out of towners usually skip hard micros-I look for small & large when I don't know the turf.

I think the most major point in hiding a micro-is accurate coords. I found a nano that was 52 feet off and I know without previous experience I would have DNF it.

For all my hides-I walk completely out of the immediate area and then manually enter the coordinates (average of at least 5 readings) and try and find it. If it is not within 20 feet I either take more readings or tell the people what the accuracy is and provide that needed hint.

I will update coordinates if my gps was having a bad day also. I know this takes time-but I have been on the losing end. I recently DNF an ammo can in a 3+ terrain because the coords were 80 feet off-useful information is always wanted no matter what size. I wish they would have told me to bring a machete-my hiking stick just couldn't cut it. :laughing:

In closing-I see a better mixture of cache in Iowa in my most recent view so I think that is great. Something for all! Happy caching! :anicute:

I don't have a problem with all the micros that pop up here and there. IMHO, there are some areas where there are no other choices. I do find it annoying when as others have stated, they take up areas where there could be "good" hides.

The thing that annoys me about the majority of the ones showing up in my neck of the woods, is that they really serve no purpose. There is no nice hike, there is no nice view, no mental challenge. Some caches appear to be small or micro containers that are just thrown out the window of a car driving down the road at 0.1 mile increments for the purpose of satuartaing an area.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this either. When I recently asked permission to place a cache in Cedar county, the county officials told me that theyhad been having an issue with the large number of caches being placed along the highways and in parks without permission. They said they weren't going to do anything about it for now, but were looking at finding the owners of these caches, and citing them nder the county littering ordinance.

Just venting a little!

I don't have a problem with all the micros that pop up here and there. IMHO, there are some areas where there are no other choices. I do find it annoying when as others have stated, they take up areas where there could be "good" hides.

The thing that annoys me about the majority of the ones showing up in my neck of the woods, is that they really serve no purpose. There is no nice hike, there is no nice view, no mental challenge. Some caches appear to be small or micro containers that are just thrown out the window of a car driving down the road at 0.1 mile increments for the purpose of satuartaing an area.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this either. When I recently asked permission to place a cache in Cedar county, the county officials told me that theyhad been having an issue with the large number of caches being placed along the highways and in parks without permission. They said they weren't going to do anything about it for now, but were looking at finding the owners of these caches, and citing them nder the county littering ordinance.

Just venting a little!

Amen!!! There are not a lot of caches in my neck of the woods and it really annoys me to find micros where there could be at least small caches. :rolleyes: I have placed one micros myself mostly because the area dictated it. But just placing micros for the sake of placing micros really stinks. As I said before we cache as a family and the three and six year olds don't get a big kick out of looking for micros. Filtering them out where I live filters out most of the caches that I haven't placed myself. I'm venting, too. Aaaaah, I feel better now. :P

It ain't just Iowa ... it's happening *everywhere*. For those of you who think there are some areas you can't hide anything *but* a micro, I submit exhibit A ... A Criminal Education, which is a gigundo cache hidden right smack dab in downtown Seattle. ACE is a masterpiece of ingenuity and a fine example of what can be accomplished if hiders would only put a little thought and effort into their caches.

I did the same thing except since that catharsis I have only hidden ammo cans. Decon containers are great too though. :anicute: