Walking sticks

I remember reading a story on El Diablo and his hiking-walking sticks. I also do woodcarving as a hobby and happen to know a few guys that make walking sticks and might be able to custom make one if you need options. I do not know what they would charge, but I guess it depends on what you wanted.

I've seen those Wilderness Walkers. Nice looking sticks. Especially the sasafras. However, nothing beats an El Diablo staff for overall kewlness. :blink:

Fate has yet to smile on me, so I don't own an El D stick. What I've done in the interim is buy my own blank exotic sticks from Tree Line. They sell several unique woods, and all the bells & whistles to go with it. I have a premium diamond willow for serious bushwhacks and a saguaro cactus for light hikes.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I've seen those Wilderness Walkers. Nice looking sticks. Especially the sasafras. However, nothing beats an El Diablo staff for overall kewlness. :o

Fate has yet to smile on me, so I don't own an El D stick. What I've done in the interim is buy my own blank exotic sticks from Tree Line. They sell several unique woods, and all the bells & whistles to go with it. I have a premium diamond willow for serious bushwhacks and a saguaro cactus for light hikes.

sadly :blink: No ElD love for me either. I just grab the closest log when I enter the woods. It becomes my support and web catcher for the rest of the day, or until it breaks. Then the hunt for a new partner begins...

Since you've already gotten his name, I won't repeat it again, only to say that I love love love love my walking-stick, which was a holiday gift from NotThePainter. It's gorgeous, it's functional, it's *so* personalized, and I feel naked if I ever go out without it. (I'm currently in my alternative address in Provincetown for the month and didn't have room to pack the stick, and geocaching without it just feels wrong, somehow!)

Don't settle for anything less than an El Diablo original! (And read an interview with him in my upcoming book, in which he discusses fashioning sticks and geocaching in general!)

-- Jeannette

I'm looking for more of a shillelagh type stick myself. Most that I seem to find are geared more toward tourists. I fear I haven't the skill to whittle my own. If anyone has any leads on where to find a nice shillelagh I would be grateful for the help.

Cheers,

Tami

I found mine on Ebay. They customized with my name and logo. Very pleased with the stick and the makers.

Wilderness Walkers by j.j.jackson

I assume since the previous maker is named that there is no problem saying the names of other makers right?

This is the same place I got mine. The nicest people I ever came across through ebay, should mine ever break or need replacment, this is where I'll go to replace it.

Sylamore

I've seen those Wilderness Walkers. Nice looking sticks. Especially the sasafras. However, nothing beats an El Diablo staff for overall kewlness. :huh:

sadly :( No ElD love for me either. I just grab the closest log when I enter the woods. It becomes my support and web catcher for the rest of the day, or until it breaks. Then the hunt for a new partner begins...

Work has kept me away from the forums, so I just saw this thread. El D sends his love to you and Clan Riffster. :smile: If you think that much of one of my staffs then you deserve one. I promise you both shall own one of my staffs. It probably won't be quick, but you will have one. Shoot me an email and we'll work out the details.

Before anyone else chimes in...it's too late to suck up now. :)

El Diablo

No sucking up here, just a big thanks to El D for his scheming with Jon of Jon and Miki behind our backs to give us one of the hiking sticks that was 'sposed to go to them.

We miss Jon so much, but we'll always have our 'grey poupon' of a hiking stick to both enjoy and remind of us how evil Jon was which we already knew but also that a certain El D can be a devil!

- T of TandS

Call me a "modernist" but i'd rather use two lighweight trekking poles over a walking stick. I admire the craftsmanship of the El Diablo walking stick, but i'm a bit weight concious when I trek in the mountains. I like the increase stability that two trekking poles give me, when descending.

No disrespect to El Diablo's superlative work, but it seems that posting "alternative" sources is okay.

I just got a scrumptious stick from a guy who has no idea what his products are worth - he charges about a third of what his stuff would get here in Utah, and Utah is populated with the world's skinniest flints.

Just take a peek here...

http://www.bluegrasswalkingsticks.com

I found mine on Ebay. They customized with my name and logo. Very pleased with the stick and the makers.

I assume since the previous maker is named that there is no problem saying the names of other makers right?

I also have a stick from j.j.jackson I got off ebay. Am purchasing another one to use as a FTF prize. Great sticks and even greater price.

I'm looking for more of a shillelagh type stick myself. Most that I seem to find are geared more toward tourists. I fear I haven't the skill to whittle my own. If anyone has any leads on where to find a nice shillelagh I would be grateful for the help.

Cheers,

Tami

I like your style, however my Mom won't let me have my Father's shillelagh. My son tells me to just use the one I made as a 11 year old scout out of an Ironwood (Hop Hornbean) sapling 35 years ago. I've looked at LEKI Treking poles, I'm definately needing something in my "old age" :(:)

I have a Leki walking stick that can double as a monopod for my camera (that I got on eBay).

I almost cannot hike without that stick now. It helps so much when going up steep hills, going down steep hills, when making a stream crossing, and when descending from rock piles or steep embankments.

I don't know how anyone hikes without a walking stick . . . but I have a friend who uses the trekking poles, and he doesn't know how anyone can hike without two poles. :(

I've seen those Wilderness Walkers. Nice looking sticks. Especially the sasafras. However, nothing beats an El Diablo staff for overall kewlness. :)

sadly :D No ElD love for me either. I just grab the closest log when I enter the woods. It becomes my support and web catcher for the rest of the day, or until it breaks. Then the hunt for a new partner begins...

Work has kept me away from the forums, so I just saw this thread. El D sends his love to you and Clan Riffster. :) If you think that much of one of my staffs then you deserve one. I promise you both shall own one of my staffs. It probably won't be quick, but you will have one. Shoot me an email and we'll work out the details.

Before anyone else chimes in...it's too late to suck up now. :D

El Diablo

He means it folks. If sucking up worked, I'd have had one long ago anyway. I've sung his praises high and low, recommend his work to others like crazy, emailed him personally to tell him how great his sticks are, entered every contest he comes up with, purchased a stick for a Christmas gift for my beloved Neos1, and then emailed El D again to tell him how much N1 loves his stick. Nope, sucking up is futile. :(

Just sign me "Saving my dimes and nickles for an elD stick of my own"

El Diablo

He means it folks. If sucking up worked, I'd have had one long ago anyway. I've sung his praises high and low, recommend his work to others like crazy, emailed him personally to tell him how great his sticks are, entered every contest he comes up with, purchased a stick for a Christmas gift for my beloved Neos1, and then emailed El D again to tell him how much N1 loves his stick. Nope, sucking up is futile. :(

Don't make me feel bad. I honestly wish I could give a hiking staff to everyone that wanted one. In reality I can't even sell them to everyone that wants one. I turn down 90% of the people that want to buy one.

I'd rather give away a staff rather than sell one.

I'm proud and humbled by the popularity of my staffs. Hang in there you never know when I'll give away another. Any ideas for a contest?

El Diablo

El Diablo

Don't make me feel bad. I honestly wish I could give a hiking staff to everyone that wanted one. In reality I can't even sell them to everyone that wants one. I turn down 90% of the people that want to buy one.

I'd rather give away a staff rather than sell one.

I'm proud and humbled by the popularity of my staffs. Hang in there you never know when I'll give away another. Any ideas for a contest?

El Diablo

Ooopsy! Sorry, didn't mean it to have that effect on you! I was just trying to add a humerous support to your plea for no more requests. I think we've all seen how generous you are (and how soft-hearted*). I know you'd give everyone one if you could.

Um, if I think of a contest idea, I'll share it, but you've done so many already it's hard to think of a new idea.

(*Folks, I should add that when he agreed to make N1's staff for me he wasn't really "in the business" of making them at the time and I was able to beg him to do 'just that one' for me with just about four months notice--which is short, short, short notice for a piece of work like that. He ended up slaving away on it to get it to me in time. It was probably too much like work to be much fun, but he kept his word and I got it in time to give it as a gift. El D's my hero for that and I wouldn't put him on the spot for anything).

I've seen those Wilderness Walkers. Nice looking sticks. Especially the sasafras. However, nothing beats an El Diablo staff for overall kewlness. :o

sadly :rolleyes: No ElD love for me either. I just grab the closest log when I enter the woods. It becomes my support and web catcher for the rest of the day, or until it breaks. Then the hunt for a new partner begins...

Work has kept me away from the forums, so I just saw this thread. El D sends his love to you and Clan Riffster. :o If you think that much of one of my staffs then you deserve one. I promise you both shall own one of my staffs. It probably won't be quick, but you will have one. Shoot me an email and we'll work out the details.

Before anyone else chimes in...it's too late to suck up now. :o

El Diablo

He means it folks. If sucking up worked, I'd have had one long ago anyway. I've sung his praises high and low, recommend his work to others like crazy, emailed him personally to tell him how great his sticks are, entered every contest he comes up with, purchased a stick for a Christmas gift for my beloved Neos1, and then emailed El D again to tell him how much N1 loves his stick. Nope, sucking up is futile. :D

I'm just happy El D was willing to share his steps on making a stick. I've got them printed out and a stick drying in my garage as we speak. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have an El D style stick of my own :D

I have a Wilderness Walker stick as well. I love it. Of course I'd REALLY love an El Diablo stick but I'm poor and have one that works so............

hi everyone - this is my first post

I found a stick on my first cache find that required me to actually go into the woods (most of the caches around here are urban) and I thought it would make a nice walking stick. I took it with me and tossed it in my car.

A couple of days later my car was infested with ants.

Guess I learned that lesson.

Edited by TopShelfRob

I found a stick on my first cache find that required me to actually go into the woods (most of the caches around here are urban) and I thought it would make a nice walking stick. I took it with me and tossed it in my car.

Hi Rob and welcome.

That is precisely why I've never liked indoor woodburners, sooner or later you'll infest yourself with crawlies of some kind.

I did find a broken off Paw-Paw tree last year that made an excellent, though slightly short for me stick. It weighs almost nothing and is just the right diameter. Of course it wouldn't make much of a club, they snap easily but it's great for walking.

El Diablo: if you're into making walking sticks, I'd love one too. I'd be willing to trade one of my scarves and one of my window clings for it. Hand Made for Hand Made. And some Canadian stuff too (like stickers) if you want them. :ph34r:

Hi Rob and welcome.

That is precisely why I've never liked indoor woodburners, sooner or later you'll infest yourself with crawlies of some kind.

I did find a broken off Paw-Paw tree last year that made an excellent, though slightly short for me stick. It weighs almost nothing and is just the right diameter. Of course it wouldn't make much of a club, they snap easily but it's great for walking.

Such as the price to pay for saving money on oil/propane.

Hi Rob and welcome.

Not if you get an OUTSIDE woodburner. :(

Hi Rob and welcome.

Not if you get an OUTSIDE woodburner. :(

Touché .... :laughing:

Thanks for leading me to El.D stick page. I have many walking sticks in the past and have found that the Iron wood ( striped maple ) although its very light it doesent have the kind of curves I like when i make my walking sticks. I prefer beach trees to other types of wood for mine. I have made about 15 in the last 7 years and everyone tells me that i should sell them, but like El.D I find that i prefer to give them away and if anyone wants to give a little money thats fine. The one i curently use is about 7 years old and is still going strong. I made one for a C.I.T.O. event in N.Y. and the Geosliders have it at this point in time. Its a T.B. I will e-mail them and see if they can post a pic. of it on the T.B. page. Another person who makes nice walking sticks is HighlandRanger, he likes my sticks also

Its a T.B. I will e-mail them and see if they can post a pic. of it on the T.B. page.

I went to ElD's page when this thread first got posted and saw that as well.I've plans to make my own when I get back.I thought that was the coolest idea ever.Then everyone gets to enjoy it literally,not just looking at like a regular travel bug.

:(

Striped maple(Moose maple) and Iron wood (Hop Hornbeam) are two different trees bud...

One quick word of warning -- water can apparently get into the rubber seal at the base of the stick. It did on mine, as I discovered recently, and rotted a bit of the wood. Fortunately we saw it in time and NotThePainter will saw off the bottom for me ... but be careful. It's far too gorgeous a stick to have something bad happen to it!

-- Jeannette