Non-trackable Geocoins

Pink Paisley

The point is to have a signature item, period.

Can you say "old school!" ? :ph34r:

Did someone say "Old School"?

You're my boy, Blue! You're my boy ! :sad:

sorry.. Off Topic there... :(

I prefer coins to be non-trackable, I know where my coins are at all times without having to check a website. :sad:

I agree. I have no plans to ever make one of my personal coins trackable. Both versions are non-trackable, and I like it that way. They make better gifts, and I don't worry that one of my "inexpensive" coins might not be worth a trackable one. It's all personal preference.

Off topic, I spent many months seeking out of of Team Shydog's v1 coins, and I must say I look at it frequently (LFD style :laughing: ). Quite a treasure.

<_< Why pay all that money to have a tracking number, when a large quantity of them go straight into a collection never to travel, let alone see a cache? :ph34r: I do like to see travelling coins but my preference is for non trackable. Icons don't mean that much really, I used to buy just for that reason, but I realized that was a futile endeavor. Now I just appreciate the effort (or lack therof) put into the coins. Some quite talented folks out there! Keep em' coming! <_<

:ph34r: Why pay all that money to have a tracking number, when a large quantity of them go straight into a collection never to travel, let alone see a cache? <_< I do like to see travelling coins but my preference is for non trackable. Icons don't mean that much really, I used to buy just for that reason, but I realized that was a futile endeavor. Now I just appreciate the effort (or lack therof) put into the coins. Some quite talented folks out there! Keep em' coming! <_<

But then, don't you have to have your own to trade. As with an icon, one can hopefully buy a coin. :D Actually, it is Very disturbing when you Do have a coin and it disappears. It Really floors me to see this happen and you got to wonder what the point is since they can Never show it off since it is under someone else's name.( different subject, I know)

Edited by fairyhoney

<_< Why pay all that money to have a tracking number, when a large quantity of them go straight into a collection never to travel, let alone see a cache? <_< I do like to see travelling coins but my preference is for non trackable. Icons don't mean that much really, I used to buy just for that reason, but I realized that was a futile endeavor. Now I just appreciate the effort (or lack therof) put into the coins. Some quite talented folks out there! Keep em' coming! :ph34r:

But then, don't you have to have your own to trade. As with an icon, one can hopefully buy a coin. :D Actually, it is Very disturbing when you Do have a coin and it disappears. It Really floors me to see this happen and you got to wonder what the point is since they can Never show it off since it is under someone else's name.( different subject, I know)

:D Wow, I'm not totally clear on the first part FH, I trade (traders.. not from caches) trackable coins for non trackable all the time and vice versa. Icon or no, if traders consent to a trade, there it is. Now yes Disappearing coins disturb me also, taking activated coins (from caches) for collections is wrong, but... that is a risk you take when you put out a trackable. It has happened to me, and a lot of other folks too, it sucks but it happens. Now if you put out a non trackable (into a cache), you know full well it's gonna end up in somones pocket, and thats what they're for... if you put em in caches. Right?!?! Otherwise why put a nontrackable in a cache? I'm sure many a coin has been swapped for the dreaded McToy.

Two bits...

Of all the coins we've minted for folks, we've sold out of trackable and non-trackable equally quickly.

We considering making the 2007 Landsharkz non trackable... same shark shape, new translucent colour, new back die, no tracking. If we get stuck with a whole lot it wouldn't be so bad, we'll enjoy them <_<

Can you say "old school!" ? <_<

Well put, oh Scary One! <_<

Every coin we've put out has been non-trackable, and we don't have any major problems with trading/selling them.

My personal coins are trade/leave in caches only, with the occasional gift.

The others are sold for the most part, but I usually wind up with a few to use as traders.

This doesn't mean I will never make a trackable, but I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

Can you say "old school!" ? :lostsignal:

Well put, oh Scary One! :)

Every coin we've put out has been non-trackable, and we don't have any major problems with trading/selling them.

My personal coins are trade/leave in caches only, with the occasional gift.

The others are sold for the most part, but I usually wind up with a few to use as traders.

This doesn't mean I will never make a trackable, but I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

Actually, I DID trade one that I had just received with one of yours at coinapalooza. I am so thankful that I saw my mail person as we were driving to the event or else, I would have been empty handed so to speak! :D

Edited by fairyhoney

You see, I do understand really but fail to see the point.

I don't understand the reluctance to pay an extra 20% for a coin (which is unique by virtue of it's number) and to happily part with a little less cash for coin indistinguishable from 100s / 1000's of others.

How many of us have a collection of McToys / Beanie Babies / key rings / toy cars / etc without TB tags on them?

You see these are simply non-trackable TBs aren't they? <tongueincheeksmiley>

PP

I'm inclined to think along the lines of Renegade Knight and my little wrinkly friend :lostsignal: A non-trackable gift, meant to be given as a special token, or traded for the same reason.

You won't get it until one of these items you've had your eye on, is given to you by a close friend, after months of wanting to see one, without you even asking for it.

I won't ever tell you that a trackable coin given for the same reason isn't special. But, any Tom, Dick, or Harry (no intentional reference to any geocachers :) ) can produce 500 or 1000 trackable coins that claim to be geocaching related. That's where you are just buying a TB. And lining someone else's pockets, instead of TPTB.

:D

I don't understand the reluctance to pay an extra 20% for a coin (which is unique by virtue of it's number) and to happily part with a little less cash for coin indistinguishable from 100s / 1000's of others.

PP

:D For one coin it really wouldn't be too bad, but if you have to pay an extra 20% on 100s / 1000s , well... I imagine that would add up. :lostsignal:

I'm thinking that a Moun10bike coin is pretty much sought after no matter what number is on it. There's a lot of great coins that are not trackable. :)

:D They don't have to be unique to be desirable. My 2 cents... not sure if I helped any. :D

PP

:D For one coin it really wouldn't be too bad, but if you have to pay an extra 20% on 100s / 1000s , well... I imagine that would add up. :D

I'm thinking that a Moun10bike coin is pretty much sought after no matter what number is on it. There's a lot of great coins that are not trackable. :lostsignal:

:D They don't have to be unique to be desirable. My 2 cents... not sure if I helped any. :)

Every two cents counts :D Pretty soon this thread will be worth $1.50 :D

And the point is?

PP

If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer.

Try me. You never know. I'm quite clever really!

PP

If a cacher makes a coin to represent them and leave as their calling card in caches as they see fit, , or to give as a gift to friends who understand. That coin they are going to make represents them. All of it. Tracking is useful for it's purpose but somehow it takes away from a real signature coin.

Signature coins where the person has put their blood sweat and tears into the coin to get it right rise above the mundane.

While my personal signature geocoins are not trackable, each one is unique because each one is uniquely numbered 000 through 099. I feel my signature geocoin is just as nice even without a tracking number.

Others may want the geocoins they design to be trackable, and that's great. In fact, I own many trackable geocoins that I enjoy very much.

Cheers! :lostsignal:

Every two cents counts :D Pretty soon this thread will be worth $1.50 :anicute:

But that will only get you enough for the tracking number of 1 coin. You're gonna need a lot more opinions before you can budget all the tracking numbers and the icon fee.

I have a personal coin that isn't trackable. Although the numbers on our team coin are done in a unique way so that we could develop our own tracking system.

I collect and save all signature items. I will do a lot more for a sig item like a summerandnana or workerofwood fimo token that I will for a trackable geocoin. I tend to trade or sell trackable coins but hold onto non-trackables as personal mementos of the caching experience.

I collect and save all signature items. I will do a lot more for a sig item like a summerandnana or workerofwood fimo token that I will for a trackable geocoin. I tend to trade or sell trackable coins but hold onto non-trackables as personal mementos of the caching experience.

And we're lucky enough to have GREAT sig items like that in our area. I just recently found a S&A sig "coin" that looks like it's made of nickel or some other hand-melted/made metal. Sweet......

Non trackables are great for personals I think. If I meet a cacher and they have their own coin I like to trade for it as a rememberence of meeting that cacher. In turn that coin goes into my coin collection binder to keep. So it would not matter if it was trackable or not to me, it will not go anywhere else after that.

Our signature coin is NON trackable, and always will be, I don't need an icon! I do occasionally participate in other coin projects and since UOTrackers is our presence on these forums, that's the name I use. I think I'll be changing that soon though! I love coins trackable or not, I love the thought put into them, especially when they tell a story about the person(s) they represent.

Our signature coin is NON trackable, and always will be, I don't need an icon! I do occasionally participate in other coin projects and since UOTrackers is our presence on these forums, that's the name I use. I think I'll be changing that soon though! I love coins trackable or not, I love the thought put into them, especially when they tell a story about the person(s) they represent.

I think that Shop99er's coin are non trackable BUT are highly collectable!

I have made 2 coins so far, both of them non-trackable. I like the idea of having total control over my coins and where they go. It enables me to put some in caches, trade a bunch away, give some to other cachers, etc, etc. There will always be something special about the coins I have traded for that aren't trackable or haven't been sold on the open market.

Yeah it costs a lot to make a coin and if you haven't got deep pockets the thought can be scary. But in the end the coins I made are mine and represent me more than something I could have made and sold. And there are a lot of non-trackable coins out there with wonderful designs that are every bit as collectable as a coin with a tracking number.

Besides, I suspect the first geocoins were non-trackable anyway.