4 X 4 Geocaching

Over the last 2 months I have noticed an increase in the number of 4 X 4 geocachers bagging caches near byways on the Wiltshire downland. Posts include pictures of the Freelander Family with their burggered-up children posing in front of their mudded Disco or Rav. Now I'm sure someone will say their child is suffering from cerebal palsy and this is the only way they can enjoy the country side, and I don't want to be accused of being a Wainwright..... However, many of these RUPPs have been specifically closed to motor vehicles this year by Wiltshire CC in the hope that they can recover and become passable for those on foot or bike.

Posting that you had "a great day in the mud" may result in landowners and local authorities start to wonder whether permissions for caches which encourage people to go on caching raids in 4 X 4s is actually what they wish to permit.

Is this an issue elsewhere? If so, how should it be tackled? My only suggestion is to put a note against the cache description to state whether motor vehicles are permitted on the byway close to the cache and drop a note to any cachers that post they have visited your cache by Chelsea tractor. We should encourage these people to get out of their trucks at the car park and do the final approach on foot or bike.

It was going so well until the Chelsea Tractor comment .. :sad:

I applaud the intent of the original poster re preventing the use of vehicles on byways currently CLOSED for a valid reason, or in reality its more Highlighting as prevention is actually impossible as any one can and will do what they want at the end of the day .. all that is at stake is the degree of illegality some people are willing to risk. However if the byway is still open what is wrong with someone using a SUITABLE vehicle (including a 4 * 4) to approach ??

On a similar vain, we where doing some of the Thames path caches 2 weeks ago and the Thames had flooded the paths... We went to walk down the Sonning Side of the Thames at the Hotel and there was a A4 laminated sign cable tied to the gate, saying the Council had closed the path due to flooding to prevent damage.. we turned away leaving those caches HOWEVER we could see many other people walking on that side of the river in the "closed" area .. So is that any Different ?

Groundspeak allows caches to be have attributes marked for Snow mobiles, Bicycles, Motorcycles, Quads, Off-road vehicles, Horses, Climbing Gear, Scuba gear, Boats ... So the ability to mark a cache as unsuitable for approach in a Off Road vehicle is provided already

On the flip side .. Many green lanes are being closed under the intent of allowing them to "recover" and never get reopened .. The amount of roads available to the off roading community (which is as valid and legal a sport to them as geocaching) is decreasing on a daily basis ..

have a read thru

http://www.glass-uk.org/

http://www.4x4prejudice.org/

Edited by S&G.Davison

A few of my caches are on land owned by An Coillte (Irish Forestry Commission). They have an Open Access Policy but prohibit the use of cars, bicycles and off-road vehicles on their forest roads. When I placed those caches I put a note on the cache page stating this when I was giving directions to the cache area.

See this cache as an example: GCWATA

As someone who often travels on green lanes, all I can say is that the "Chelsea Tractor brigade" do bring shame to the 4 x 4 world. Many of them could not handle a 4 x 4 in an off road situation. From memory, over the last 5 years, I have personally winched 9 L200s, 7 Jeeps, 4 Hyundai, and many other pseudo-offroad vehicles.

Most 4 x 4 drivers think that because they have a vehicle that is stated 4 x 4 in the handbook that it's designed for offroad, most are not suitable for anything harder than a potholed track. Even the Disco and Freelander are not really built for anything more serious than a slightly muddy field.

Also I have found that many 4 x 4 drivers believe that because they have a 4 x 4 that they are good drivers offroad, how wrong they are, driving offroad takes skill and courage not found in other driving. I can only agree with the original author here, and if any 4 x 4 drivers disagree with me, then I feel you are also not in the true spirit of green laners, who actually respect the environment, and drive to their ability and NOT beyond.

Pippa

I have personally winched 9 L200s......and many other pseudo-offroad vehicles......Even the Disco [is] not really built for anything more serious than a slightly muddy field.

I'm not biting, not sure if Nick CrazyL200 will either, Pippa :laughing::o:)

They are not true 4 x 4, they are pickups that have been made to look nice, I would challenge any L200 owner to follow a competition course, last time I was a Tong near Bradford, I personally wiped out a MSP and his L200, also I sorted out his engin after it failed in the deep pond there.

I have personally winched 9 L200s......and many other pseudo-offroad vehicles......Even the Disco [is] not really built for anything more serious than a slightly muddy field.

I'm not biting, not sure if Nick CrazyL200 will either, Pippa :blink::o:(

They are not true 4 x 4, they are pickups that have been made to look nice, I would challenge any L200 owner to follow a competition course, last time I was a Tong near Bradford, I personally wiped out a MSP and his L200, also I sorted out his engin after it failed in the deep pond there.

I feel like I should reply with a big long winded response about laning, NERC, BOATS, ORPAs, RUPPs RBs DMs, DMMS, etc... etc...

All I will say is: check that any lane you intend to drive is still:

a - legaly useable by motor vehicles

b - not TRO'd

As for what's a true 4x4 and what's not and what the capabilities of an L200 are - I'm not even going there.

Other than to say, wind your neck in.

Perhaps slightly back on topic :blink: it's worth noting that if you intend to approach a relevant cache via a motorised vehicle, you can now check the status of rights of way on many council's websites. Most have their "definitive maps" published online which means you can get an up to date check on the status of lanes, byways, etc. rather than relying on maps; which may of course be out of date.

Here is a local (to me) example

Hope this is of interest.

James

in the true spirit of green laners, who actually respect the environment, and drive to their ability and NOT beyond.

Pippa

Just to clarify, I don't disagree with this particular statement.

As a long time member of GLASS I willingly and proactively abide by their Code of Conduct too.

I also drive my L200 at many off road centres around the country and have enjoyed exploiting the capabilities of myself and my vehicle to the full (and beyond sometimes) - something that can't (and shouldn't) be done on a public highway or byway.

Out of interest, Pippa, what do you drive that's so much better than any other 4x4. Unless it's a custom built competion truck of some sort.

Edit : Just had a look at your profile and it seems you have a Bowler Wildcat, which is not exactly a production 4x4, more a custom built competition truck, so it's hardly fair to compare other 4x4s to it.

Good luck with finding caches along green lanes, I'm sure you'll enjoy the more than adequate abilities of you particular vehicle - much more capable than needed on any green lane you're likely to find a cache.

Edited by CrazyL200

in the true spirit of green laners, who actually respect the environment, and drive to their ability and NOT beyond.

Pippa

Just to clarify, I don't disagree with this particular statement.

As a long time member of GLASS I willingly and proactively abide by their Code of Conduct too.

I also drive my L200 at many off road centres around the country and have enjoyed exploiting the capabilities of myself and my vehicle to the full (and beyond sometimes) - something that can't (and shouldn't) be done on a public highway or byway.

Out of interest, Pippa, what do you drive that's so much better than any other 4x4. Unless it's a custom built competion truck of some sort.

Edit : Just had a look at your profile and it seems you have a Bowler Wildcat, which is not exactly a production 4x4, more a custom built competition truck, so it's hardly fair to compare other 4x4s to it.

Good luck with finding caches along green lanes, I'm sure you'll enjoy the more than adequate abilities of you particular vehicle - much more capable than needed on any green lane you're likely to find a cache.

I also own a Defender and a Mk 1 Landy, both unmodified with the exception of winch and snorkel, I can also drop by own engine and replace it in a few hours!

Perhaps slightly back on topic :blink: it's worth noting that if you intend to approach a relevant cache via a motorised vehicle, you can now check the status of rights of way on many council's websites. Most have their "definitive maps" published online which means you can get an up to date check on the status of lanes, byways, etc. rather than relying on maps; which may of course be out of date.

Here is a local (to me) example

Hope this is of interest.

James

A very good point.

OS maps, while good, can be anything upto 2 years out of date (even current and new revisions), in terms of ROWs, especially since NERC came into force, converting many RUPPs to RBs.

As James says, DMs are gradually becoming available online, but it'll be a long time before all councils get into the modern world. In the meantime, DMs can be viewed by anyone at the local council ROW office. It's advisable to check from time to time, which lanes/tracks are still legally drivable.

It's also a good idea to ring the ROW officer if you intend to use a lane or series of lanes, to make sure there's no TROs in place. Although they must be signed as TRO'd it's quite common for the signs to go missing.

It's all too often tha 4x4s get a bad name due to a small minority who insist on driving "off road" illegally. It would be a shame if a cacher got into trouble for driving an illegal route.

(Technically, green laning isn't about driving "off road". All legally drivable green lanes/tracks are, in fact, roads/highways/byways).

Some of the caches that have been placed on ROWs have the relevant info, or links to help find it, but it's always going to be down to the driver to check legality.

Enough said, there's plenty of other sources of info about ROWs and laning elsewhere on the 'net.

Off now to do some laning and caching planning for a trip over Easter :o (In my L200 cache truck :( ).

Oh oh I am soooooooooo tempted but I no going to reply :)

Really I'm not :)

....................But if Disco's are pretend 4x4s you wanna see them in the quarry at our 4x4 club :(

and you can get a Diahatsu Fourtrak on some amazing angles and I know from personal experience :( and I was driving not Graham.

And from my expereience in our club Landys have pulled Discos out Disco's have pulled Diahatsu's out ect we all help each other :)

And the biggest laugh of all especially to us 4x4 drivers is this....the last trial we were at without a word of a lie guess what won on the day.......................a Fiat Panda, it's just amazing what those little buggas can do!!

A lot of the 4x4 groups went out picking litter from the green lanes that the walkers had left :( and most groups really do push on environmental issues.

Off road driving is a skill, and I do agree the Chelsea Tractors are giving us a bad name, and I also agree most of townies who drive 4x4s would have no idea how to handle them off road, I don't even think they would dream of letting a bit of mud touch their tyres :huh:

Look I just couldn't resist :)

Mandy :D

There is a group I can't of the name off the top of my head that are crying out for Disco and Landy drivers they take doctors and nurses and paramedics and the like to places that the ambulances can't get to, in extreme weather conditions, I know hubby was looking in to it, so they must be good for summat.

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

There is a group I can't of the name off the top of my head that are crying out for Disco and Landy drivers they take doctors and nurses and paramedics and the like to places that the ambulances can't get to, in extreme weather conditions, I know hubby was looking in to it, so they must be good for summat.

Think this might be what you're thinking about.

Anyone with a 4x4 is welcome to get involved - a worthy voluntary organisation.

Think this might be what you're thinking about.

Anyone with a 4x4 is welcome to get involved - a worthy voluntary organisation.

That's it, thank you for that :huh: it was The North East Response Team I was thinking about, I see there are many regional groups but they all do the same thing.

It is one of those schemes worth helping if you can, the way I look at it is one day they may be helping you

Mandy :)

I also own a Defender and a Mk 1 Landy, both unmodified with the exception of winch and snorkel, I can also drop by own engine and replace it in a few hours!

By MK 1 Landy, I'm assuming you mean a Series 1.

With a complex as good as your picture in your profile, I'd love to know how you keep it that way doing engine swaps in oily old Landrovers.

Knowing how much a Bowler costs to buy and own, I'm envious.

Where do you find the time for all those hobbies ?

Oh yea, care to answer some of the questions in this topic ?

If you've got something to say, why use a puppet account ?

On the subject of 4X4 and Geocaching, one only has to look at the U.S forums to know that these gas guzzlers are a basic tool in the geocachers box of tricks.

There use over here must surely be discouraged as they are not required.

If you study the mode of transport prefered by U.K farmers including upland areas it is far more likely to be a Volvo or Merc.estate [usually old and well used]than a 4X4.

If you look at the tyres they use however they are usually heavily treaded possibly winter tyres.

I frequentely see the damage caused by 4X4's in the countryside, and I know that in many cases they are legally entitled to drive them they really should be regarded in the same way as a smoker in a small restuarant as social parias.

Intresting to note that when I was in the Alps in Feb, despite the horrendous road condits with snow and ice on the hilly roads, there were very few 4X4s around, but lots of ordinary cars using snow/ winter tyres.

Reality check required I believe, in a few years these owners will look back and cringe with the thought that they once owned one of these vehicles!

On the subject of 4X4 and Geocaching, one only has to look at the U.S forums to know that these gas guzzlers are a basic tool in the geocachers box of tricks.

There use over here must surely be discouraged as they are not required.

Oh please... Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and you have voiced yours. But do not ever try and tell me what vehicle I should drive and I won't try and tell you where to go and stick your head.

J

I've done a few caches where it's plain that the hider has not obtained permission, and that I shouldn't be off the footpath/wrong side of the fence/on Network Rail's/British Waterways' property etc. If it's a rubbish cache or I can't find it I curse the irresponsible hider for not obtaining permission. If it's a good one I hypocritically turn a blind eye.

In this case I'm just as bad as people using illegal vehicles. I'm where I shouldn't be, and using a mode of transport that I shouldn't. So think carefully about your own activities before criticising others.

Me & the other half of Team Sieni I used to do nearly all of our walking from railway stations - and I would sneer at logs where people had done a cache'n'dash from a nearby car-park. Lazy car-addicted so & sos.

Then I mashed my knee up and spent a while unable to walk, and since then we've become gradually more decadent - driving out more and more.

I guess what I'm saying is - think carefully before criticising. If you drove out to the start of your walk, then be careful before sneering at people in 4x4s, lest an ultra-worthy public transport cacher sneers at you ... who is in turn sneered at by a hair-shirt wearing cacher who goes everywhere by pogo-stick.

(cue the anti-pogo-stick brigade pointing out the terrible erosion problems caused by pogoing geocachers)

If you are complaining about people using an illegal mode of transport, then make sure you never ever trespass when caching.

As to whether certain types of vehicle are "proper" 4x4s and others aren't .... that's all greek to me.

(PS Horses and mountain bikes *are* banned ... from footpaths at least. And in my opinion all horses should be banned everyhere for having big scary snorty faces :laughing: ... but that's another rant for another day)

If you study the mode of transport prefered by U.K farmers including upland areas it is far more likely to be a Volvo or Merc.estate [usually old and well used]than a 4X4.

If you look at the tyres they use however they are usually heavily treaded possibly winter tyres.

I frequentely see the damage caused by 4X4's in the countryside

Yes but show me a Volvo which can legally tow 3.5 tonne without it being a C303 4x4.

How many trips in said Volvo to equate to 4x4 capacity?

How many cars to the life time of 1 4x4.

My RangeRover (diesel) has for 14 years been equally used for farming, towing heavy loads, and for all my social domestic and pleasure duties. It returns 33mpg which was agreat improvement on the cars I had previously run.

It is well suited to caching and in fact will cause less damage on most surfaces than a non 4x4.

I certainly will not regret owning this or the other 4x4s over the years!

A lot can be read into caching names.