Site Performance Being Addressed

mtn-man

All weekend though, I haven't gotten a single notification for caches or travel bugs, although I submitted a new cache today and I did get the "We have received your submission" email, so I know my email isn't being blocked. (Which it shouldn't be anyway as I host my own email and would know if stuff was getting blocked.)

I fear what's going to happen when all this backed up email suddenly gets turned loose... :blink:

This issue is being addressed here. It started to send some backlogged e-mails but seems to have went to dinner break.

It just occurred to me...I went caching yesterday...

I had a fairly new PQ, but wanted to see if I could get a newer one...got my PQ in two minutes.

Went out, found 17/19 caches, came home and logged them after the Sporanos went off.

I logged them with no problems, on a Sunday night. That was pretty groovy.

PQ's working fine for me. Getting emails about new caches and weekly email updates. What's not working for me is the watchlist email :P

Have checked with local ISP server and fine there. Waiting on Yahoo return email to see what they have to say.

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one having problems. With growth comes new challenges and I'm glad to see that GC is addressing them. I still think the price is excellent for what we get as Premium members - slow servers or not. Thanks for all you do!

I was thinking about how the site performance might be enhanced other than by making the queries more efficient and adding beefier hardware. How about attempting to make the query results smaller and less frequent? I’m not talking about Pocket Queries here.

For example, I suspect many folks use their account page as their GC “home base” as I do. Since the accounts page displays your last 30 days of logs it automatically runs a query in order to do so.

Also if you want to find a log entry from a previous month your only option is to show all of your logs (or search for a specific cache if you can remember any details). The show all logs does another query and for those with thousands of finds it can be a fairly big result!

How about if the accounts page didn’t show any logs by default and instead had a drop down list to restrict the query to the last 30, 90, 120, 180 etc. days logs. Or perhaps the last 50, 100, 150, 200, etc log entries (regardless of age).

Would this help?

One optimization that might help would be to limit the number of duplicate emails sent. If I post a note on a cache that I own, I get three (or is it 4?) copies of the note in my email. If I post a note to a cache that I'm watching, I get two copies of that in my email. Etc.

Motion seconded!!!

We regularly receive 3-4 emails from watched caches or bugs, more so our own caches and bugs.

That is stupid and I thought that it was just us or our settings, but we just tolerated it because we didnt know what we could do to stop getting so many of the same message.

Now we know it isnt just us, we are much happier, and waiting in hope of something being done to alter that situation!<_<

I know there is no easy time to do the MUCH needed upgrades here at GC.com. It would be nice though to not have to wait to log finds until Signal does not look like he had the snot beat out of him. Is there a way to log finds while upgrades are being done, and then have them filter in? Just seems bogus here on PST when I want to log and it is time THEY can do it. I feel....well.....my $30 don't matter, it's 1am EST and almost dawn in Europe. No one is up there, so I GET TO SUFFER and wait until tomorrow to log???? This ugrade better be worth it! I know I complain, but it just seems stupid to put off to tomorrow what I did today. Would Amazon say "sorry can you buy a book tomorrow....we need to upgrade what we should have done a year ago, go buy a book somewhere else?" I pay to do NOW! Get it done. No other website I know that does business does this, why can't Seattle get it done!! SORRY.....Actually Amazon is in TOWN, go over and LEARN.

What, you can't wait a day to post your logs? poor you! I'm always amazed at how entitled some people feel for having paid $30. $30 won't even buy you a good piece of clothing or a good meal. And comparisons to Amazon? Please. Amazon is a fortune 500 company with billions of dollars in sales.

the changes are interesting, BUT please put it back as was before - the way how was the pictures, uploaded to the listing by author of the caches, showed in the listing ? I put them in listing where I want by using simple HTML tag, but they are there again at the bottom of the listing and it is not looking good, also in so many listing there are photo hints, and lot of people dont want to see them rightaway :D or at least try get them smaller size like it is done with photos in logs, so geocachers will see them only when they want.

Can you give us an example?

GC53C4

This cache, the picture of the rock is a spoiler, now you don't have a choice but to look at it.

This is one of our caches, GC11NBA

I had the 3 pictures as links just for people to look at if they choose to, no spoilers, but now they are open and I'm sure will slow down loading to a PDA or a cell phone.

GCTF60

And this cache has a picture of the Tag you are looking for that was a spoiler, but now you see it with out a choice...

Can you give us an example?

GC53C4

This cache, the picture of the rock is a spoiler, now you don't have a choice but to look at it.

This is one of our caches, GC11NBA

I had the 3 pictures as links just for people to look at if they choose to, no spoilers, but now they are open and I'm sure will slow down loading to a PDA or a cell phone.

GCTF60

And this cache has a picture of the Tag you are looking for that was a spoiler, but now you see it with out a choice...

Oh you guys are very very good, you had the glitch fixed by the time I had the explanation typed out and posted.... I bow down in amazement in the general direction of Seattle.... LOL

Just got this screen when I tried to access my accounts page:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI.my_default.BindEventLogList() +569

Geocaching.UI.my_default.DisplayUserDetails() +1785

Geocaching.UI.my_default.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +57

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1286

Geocaching.UI.my_default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +140

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

At 8pm CEST this mornig the GC-site was down. Comming back from geocaching at 13pm the site was up and running, and i had got my PQ's five and a half hours earlier than usual.

Congratulations. The upgrade seems to very successful so far.

Thank You. :D

I'm not sure that I really need an explanation of the cache type at the top of each page, but it seems to only happen when I'm not logged in, so I guess it's a good thing to have, for newbies. I do know that the speed here is, in general, a lot better, and that is definitely appreciated :P Thank you!!

I do have a question... why are our inventory lists (travelers, for example) no longer in alphabetical order? 'Q' shows up in the middle of all our 'P' items, and a couple of 'P' things shows up in the middle of the 'R's, which run into the 'S's and 'T's... This is a database issue; I am assuming some sort of binary tree for sorting, but I could be wrong. Whatever is being used doesn't seem to be working, now. Is this an artifact of the server upgrade, and is it going to be addressed in the database upgrade that Jeremy talks about in the Announcements?

How does everyone feel about the new map "icon"-bubble?? When you view the map and the surrounding caches using Google, the cache "bubble" with just a number in it (plus icon for cache type) takes up so much space that you cannot even see where you are on the map!!! :P This is definitely NOT an improvement!!! Please switch back to the droplet type markers!!!!! Please please!!

I've tried with two query's last night and one this morning, none have been emailed to me yet. Had decided yesterday to do some caching with the kids today but my gps and palm are a few months out of date. Is there a problem with the new query's being sent out?

Thanks,

Malloc.

Ok, somehow during the site upgrade, my flag for having agreed to the stipulations of .GPX files got nullified. Re-agreeing to this seemed to let my emails with the query's loose. So I guess this is a potential bug, and not a site upgrade/performance issue.

By the way, the site is working quite quickly for a sunday evening, good job!

Edited by Malloc