Site Performance Being Addressed

mtn-man

All we get from TPTB is...

well, I can't show you because I can't get the blasted site to load up...yet....

It seems that some are not reading the whole topic and are missing the posts in the announcements section. TPTB have commented, understand that there is an issue and are working on it. Please read this post.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry2783271

I appreciate that most of you are keeping the comments in a better tone today. Many thanks for that.

about that 1200 baud modem I gave away.... maybe I should dig it out. :(

ps after posting this I get a "Server Too Busy" message -- maybe I should resurrect the 150MA device or the 300 baud modem --- but wait, if you call in the next 15 minutes we'll include ..... oh never mind. I'll wait til Wednesday to celebrate our 100th find.

Edited by ghbrett

Moderator's Note: This post was originally posted by the OP as a separate thread entitled "This is no fun... don't get me wrong." The duplicate thread was merged into this one.

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2

Edited by Keystone

The Groundspeak Forums run on a separate server from the Geocaching.com website.

I observed intermittent site timeouts today. Three times, I had to submit the same page request twice. But I logged three finds, did a search and checked my account information for my personal account, and I worked with about a dozen caches for my reviewer account. All in all, an average Sunday experience. When I get the "server too busy" error, I go do something else and then try again later.

Why don't you go for a real OS on the web server? I mean some BSD/Unix...

Any operating system can be good or bad when put in talented or inexperienced hands. Plenty of quality sites run on Windows servers.

What keeps me from being a Premium Member is the use of Java on a Windows webserver :rolleyes:

Strange. I haven't seen any Java anywhere on this website. Now I have seen JavaScript which is entirely different. And since JavaScript (and Java for that matter) runs on the client machine I don't understand this beef about a Windows webserver :o

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Many people have closed minds :o

Any operating system can be good or bad when put in talented or inexperienced hands. Plenty of quality sites run on Windows servers.

What keeps me from being a Premium Member is the use of Java on a Windows webserver :o

Strange. I haven't seen any Java anywhere on this website. Now I have seen JavaScript which is entirely different. And since JavaScript (and Java for that matter) runs on the client machine I don't understand this beef about a Windows webserver :o

Then tell me what is that:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

Java is just slow.

Funny to be considered closed minded whilst being in favour of OSS but I'll keep quiet, dont wanna troll too much :rolleyes:

Heres the way I see it. I started last July caching. Right from the beginning I paid for a premium membership. Its not going to break anyone to pay for the use of this site.

If you are a premium member and you DO use the queries, then like myself, you dont have too much to whine about when the site isnt working properly. You have a stash of caches you can go hunt and find.

Now, when it comes to logging them? No one should really complain too much about the weekends being slow, because most people do their hunting on the weekends. Not everyone but most. So, whats the problem if you have to log them some other time during the week before the next weekend? I dont see that to be THAT much of an inconvienience.

But, yes, theres always going to be a but, heres my issue: Im leaving on a camping/caching trip in a few days. Im trying to gather some caches to do along the way, so Im using GE and the geocaching website. Today, I tried for about an hour to browse a few cache details and finally gave up because the server was too busy. I figured, no problem, Ill come back later tonight when most people have gone to bed (1145PM here in Seattle) and do my homework for my trip. SO, I go to launch the website and its down for maint.

Im sure that the persons in charge of the servers/website are doing everything they can to keep this thing running. I cant begin to imagine the task at hand.

Personally, I feel that EVERYONE that uses this site for getting cahce info for thier GPS'r should have to pay some sort of fee. A carton if cigarettes cost more than a yearly membership here.

Hopefully things will improve, if not, so be it. I get my queries sent to me when I need them and thats all most people need.

Wow, I can't believe I can even post in the forums without getting "server too busy" message. I hate this. It's not just a once in a while thing anymore. It happens almost every time I try to log in now. I noticed the website was shut down for maintenance last night. Well, it didn't help. Even when the site is preforming, it's as slow as mollases. For something that's supposed to be enjoyable, it has proven to become an exercise in extreme frustration. :rolleyes:

Wow, I can't believe I can even post in the forums without getting "server too busy" message. ...

The forums are on a separate server. That way they are not contributing to the issues the geocaching server/s are having.

It's good that it uses a separate server. At least I can read the forums, while waiting for a cachepage to load. :rolleyes: . Gives me something to do.

What keeps me from being a Premium Member is the use of Java on a Windows webserver :laughing:

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

:laughing:

I'm guessing you've never done an "ASP.NET/MSSQL/Windows Server" to "PHP/MySQL/Apache/Linux" or "Enterprise Java/Solaris" migration in a 24/7 envionment.

Let me assure you, it can't be done in a hurry.

Groundspeak has surprisingly limited resources (this is not Yahoo! or Google) and even the modest improvements they want to make to their database, without changing platforms, will stretch them. This is a 10-12 person operation running a database which accepts more or less arbitrary user input 24/7.

Were I starting from scratch to build geocaching.com today, I'm sure I'd be looking at LAMP technologies to do it. But I'm not. Sometimes you just can't get there from here.

Wow, I can't believe I can even post in the forums without getting "server too busy" message. I hate this. It's not just a once in a while thing anymore. It happens almost every time I try to log in now. I noticed the website was shut down for maintenance last night. Well, it didn't help. Even when the site is preforming, it's as slow as mollases. For something that's supposed to be enjoyable, it has proven to become an exercise in extreme frustration. :laughing:

I too am getting "server too busy" ... it's a PAIN and is occuring about 80% of the time and not just Sundays and Mondays. I hope something is done SOON.

The whining is thick in here.

30 bucks is a bargain-but we could charge a whining surcharge...Or a poor sport penality.

I think I just go back to reading logs.

Yes,30 bucks is a good/fair price for what you get....when you get it.

If someone gives you something for free but it doesn't work,is that a good deal?

I don't think the 30 bucks is the issue here, the issue is a malfunctioning site.

It's like having a Rolls Royce that leaves you stranded once a week,get it fixed and you're stylin' but as it is,it's a pile.

Edited by MrFRjr

I dont complain about the server issues...Im unemployed and can log my stuff anytime.

Wow the last 24 hours has been the worst I have ever seen it! Sure I can wait to log my caches and coins...but WOW I can't believe its been going on for 24 straight hours now.

I really feel sorry for all you working folk....heck maybe I can make a living logging caches for other people while they sleep...I can stay up all night and log the caches for them :laughing:

Sorry I didn't mean to laugh...im actually pretty stressed over the whole thing myself right now...im not used to the site being down for this many hours in a row.

OK, I realize the server issue is a big one and we keep hearing that work is being done, but from the standpoint of the patient user, this is extremely frustrating. It just took me over an hour and a half to log 10 finds from yesterday. Where is the bloody progress? If it's true that things work better in IE, I will reluctantly use that browser.

I'd rather be beaten by rusty barbed wire then use M$ IE.

<muttering to self while punching away at calculator>

$30.00 a year= $.08 a day = $.00333 an hour = $.00005555 a minute.

GOOD LORD THEY ARE ROBBING ME BLIND WHILE I HAVE TO WAIT FOR A COUPLE OF MORE MINUTES TO CHECK TO SEE HOW MANY CACHES I HAVE.

Why I ought a demand my money back.

Considering how much I cache I can hardly afford to let my premium membership lapse. Last Saturday I did a 7 mile hike with Ks of elevation change and am sore sore sore, and happy, happy, happy. 10 caches. I certainly would like to log my caches at will, but doing so is quite secondary to my fundamental reasons for caching.

Still, I wonder if perhaps TPTB might task someone with looking over some common pages, such as the cache page, and removing functionality that draws on the database, at least for the interim. For example, I could live without seeing each finders #of finds next to their ID when viewing logs. Perhaps there are a few more database draws that could just be commented out, as it were, to try to improve overall performance. At this point I would gladly trade functionality for performance.

Just sayin'...

Edited by WalruZ

I know servers who get well over 1000 hits per minute and are running quite capable with no "server too busy" ... I think if geocaching.com put in the $$ and effort they wouldn't have there problems ...

I guess you might not have seen what Jeremy posted today. Looks like there will be a much more powerful server online within a couple of weeks. Still that probably won't fix the problems for long. Unlike most of the sites that are getting 1000 of hits per minute with no "server too busy", GC.com allows users to update the site in real time - creating new cache pages, logging caches, etc. A site that is based almost entirerly on user update of database - for example MySpace - needs to be designed for that purpose with the database partioned in such a way as to allow simlutaneous access by multiple users. It seems clear to me that the Geocaching database was not designed with the idea that there would be so many users trying to update it all at once. What happens now is that the database updates must be serialized, so when lots of people try to update the database at the same time, the queue gets full and you get "server too busy" errors. Jeremy is working with consultants to redesign the database to allow more users to access it. This is a major undertaking and will probably not be complete for sometime.

Perhaps an idea would be to do what I've seen on other websites. When a certain threshold of error messages is reached, dial the site down to a "lite" mode, eliminating all but the most necessary DB calls and foo-foo features until the traffic surge passes.

Personally, the site has been slow for me today, but I haven't actually gotten a single error message, so I must have good karma right now...

Ya know, I get the same errors everybody else is getting. I just try again, and most times, I'm in. Yeah, sure, sometimes it's a bit slow. But for me, it's never been dial-up-slow, so I'm pretty content.

Yeah, I'd like to see the site as fast as everybody else. This stuff takes hard work, and not unsubstantial amounts of cash.

If I can't get in, maybe I'll go do something else - like read a book, spend time with people, heck, maybe even find more caches. I happily pay for the premium service. It's worth it just for the pocket queries. Honestly, you don't need to pay for this service, you can use it just fine without paying; just don't go grousing about how slow it is if you're not willing to pony up the tiny sum it takes. That money is where new, faster equipment will come from.

By the way, to all the staff and volunteers here - Thanks!

I (at least) appreciate everything you guys are doing.

I know servers who get well over 1000 hits per minute and are running quite capable with no "server too busy" ... I think if geocaching.com put in the $$ and effort they wouldn't have there problems ...

I recall some geocoin buyers who beat up PayPal pretty badly.

:laughing: Man, I forgot about that. Funny. Good memory RK.

I remember that not too terribly long ago I waited several minutes for a single picture to load. And not too long after that I was content with it taking almost five minutes to get through a whole news story. Just the other day in fact, I actually had to wait .34 seconds for a Google search that usually only takes .15! Hmmmm, me thinks our priorities they are a changin' these days. :laughing:

I'm sick of getting this error messages all the time. On sunday and monday, i can't access the site, because there are so many loggers from the weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday, there is a site performance in the morning (european time). So i can only access the site on thursday - but there are so many other cachers who are annoyed of this bad site performance and are also on gc.com and block the access.

In the biggest german forum there is since ONE year one central post: The bad access to gc.com. Sorry, but is it so difficult to solve this problem?

It may be possible, that in the USA or other regions this problem is not so heavy, because the server is down when the majority is in bed or on work. But here in Europe the server is down at the "prime time".

I wont't extend my premium membership. I won't pay for a website, which is always down.

Just putting in our three-and-a-half cents (inflation, you know) on this issue...

Yes, the delays are frustrating. Yes, American tech is dreadfully behind the curve, compared to Australia, Europe and the Far East. Yes, every one has the right to complain and whine and not renew their membership here.

Speaking purely for ourselves, we can see that a lot of time, effort and money has been spent so far to correct the problems, and that more is going to be spent over the rest of this year. As a former programmer/IT person, I know how difficult it can be to upgrade an old system. As someone who can read and who is willing to do some research, I can see that a major server change is imminent. Yes, I have worries about that, but anytime a server is changed, there is a chance for a disaster to occur; that's the nature of this cyber-beast that we have begotten on ourselves. For all those who don't understand just how big of a deal this can be, all I can tell you is, Knowledge is Power. Do some reading. Ask some tech questions of a few tech persons you trust.

Thank you to the people at Groundspeak who are trying to fix the slow service. Best of luck in making the transfer! Here's hoping that it all goes off without a hitch :ph34r:

I'm sick of getting this error messages all the time. On sunday and monday, i can't access the site, because there are so many loggers from the weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday, there is a site performance in the morning (european time). So i can only access the site on thursday - but there are so many other cachers who are annoyed of this bad site performance and are also on gc.com and block the access.

In the biggest german forum there is since ONE year one central post: The bad access to gc.com. Sorry, but is it so difficult to solve this problem?

It may be possible, that in the USA or other regions this problem is not so heavy, because the server is down when the majority is in bed or on work. But here in Europe the server is down at the "prime time".

I wont't extend my premium membership. I won't pay for a website, which is always down.

When you look at the server slow issues in light of less serious things like global warming, tsunamis, and the world peace I can see why people are obsessed with it.

I suggest you all hold your breaths until you turn blue.

That will not only show TPTB how serious you are but it will also play a small part in the global warming problem.

Thanks.

<snippage>

Thank you to the people at Groundspeak who are trying to fix the slow service. Best of luck in making the transfer! Here's hoping that it all goes off without a hitch :ph34r:

I have met Jeremy and a number of the lackeys and I can assure you that they are as a group totally unsympathetic to the plight of the downtrodden I'm almost positive I've heard Jeremy say "Well, let them eat cake."

I don't understand. I'm in Europe too and very rarely experience what all of you are complaining about. If I do it's usually only for half an hour or so and then it's back up.

Your different time zone should work to your advantage when it comes to the servers busy time. Though I suspect that you do experience something on the busy days since there are more Europeans than North Americans. Just maybe not more cachers (yet).

Just as a thought to help the performance of the system (since there is a redesign going on) is to support direct entry of finds into the database. I'm not saying to allow uncontrolled access to the database but if programs, like GSAK, can upload finds much in the same way that we dump Pocket Queries into it then users won't have to load a web page for each log as the logging will be done offline and then uploaded and processed at the server's convenience. I'm sure users would like better integration between their paperless solutions and the Geocaching.com database.

Thanks for all the work that you have done to work on this problem.

Eric KF4OTN

I don't understand. I'm in Europe too and very rarely experience what all of you are complaining about. If I do it's usually only for half an hour or so and then it's back up.

Your different time zone should work to your advantage when it comes to the servers busy time. Though I suspect that you do experience something on the busy days since there are more Europeans than North Americans. Just maybe not more cachers (yet).

I work with the system too though and try to avoid it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday after lunchtime (here).

Sometimes I wonder if people were a bit smarter with their PQs, a bit more organised and a bit more patient when wanting to log their finds would we have so many complaining about the issue.

I know there is a genuine problem but Groundspeak are aware of it and are trying to sort it in a practical way. I can't understand how the constant whining is going to help them achieve that!

Theres a small percentage of people who once Groundspeak is back up to speed, will go to the next "hot topic" and whine there.

Geocaching is still in its infancy. Time will tell what will happen to this hobby. Im guessing there will be alot of people who will grow tired of it, just like any other hooby. But, its my guess that in the past year the amount of new cachers has been the strongest.

Id like to see a graph of the total number of caches world wide broken down by month or even week.

Groundspeak couldnt have predicted what sort of explosion of interest caching has become.

I applaud TPTB for their hard work. I wouldnt be suprised if some of the key players are spending 10 or more hours a day working to get this thing going more smoothly.

To all of those who are toiling away doing all they can to bring Groundspeaks servers up to where they can handle the load on them, My hat is off to you.

<snippage>

Thank you to the people at Groundspeak who are trying to fix the slow service. Best of luck in making the transfer! Here's hoping that it all goes off without a hitch :lol:

I have met Jeremy and a number of the lackeys and I can assure you that they are as a group totally unsympathetic to the plight of the downtrodden I'm almost positive I've heard Jeremy say "Well, let them eat cake."

Sounds like he needs some competition.

We still have caches to log from the weekend! Site is to slow......I would rather pay more a month!.......This sucks!

I would still be sloooowww even if you paid more. I think there's management/motivation issues.

Hve you actually read this thread from the beginning and the linked posts about what is going on?? or are you just dropping by to leave uninformed opinionated comments?

We still have caches to log from the weekend! Site is to slow......I would rather pay more a month!.......This sucks!

I would still be sloooowww even if you paid more. I think there's management/motivation issues.

Hve you actually read this thread from the beginning and the linked posts about what is going on?? or are you just dropping by to leave uninformed opinionated comments?

I was thinking the same thing.

For those of you whinners that think nothing is being done I submit this quote from Jeremy since you are too buzy whinning to go look at what he writes.

I spent 30 minutes last night reading his sticky noted about the re-incarnations that this site has gone through since 2000 and its amazing.

So, read this and wait for it to happen:

Our new database server should arrive any moment now. From there we'll need to go through a configuration process and do some testing to make sure our system migrates well to the new machine and software. We expect that within the next 2 weeks we will have the new server up and running which will alleviate some of the current server too busy issues.

When we're about to upgrade the system we'll give you about a day's notice for the downtime. Usually we pick a time in the week where we have the lowest traffic - so we apologize ahead of time to the folks in Europe who usually get impacted the most. However this will hopefully have a huge impact on the current issues improving the experience overall.

Again, I appreciate your patience. I'm looking very forward to not having these issues in the near future.

BTW, this was posted by Jermey within the past 2 days. So, anyone who thinks that theres nothing being done probably knows as much about computers and I know about getting the space shuttle off the ground.

BTW, this was posted by Jermey within the past 2 days. So, anyone who thinks that theres nothing being done probably knows as much about computers and I know about getting the space shuttle off the ground.

Actually, both are powered by hamsters. The space shuttle just needs more of them.