Delivery Times

paulandstacey

Asked this in our coin thread, but thought it may get more attention and responses in a separate thread. Is there usually a variance in how long shipping can take?

Some of my orders got to BC in a few days, others sent at the same time to Ontario have not arrived.

Some of the orders to Europe got there in the same week, others haven't arrived almost two weeks later.

Is this something I should be worried about, or is it normal?

Different countries have different delivery times. From my experience, shipping from the US:

Germany is the fastest for Europe, 3-5 days.

UK is a little longer.

Switzerland can take even longer, and in the case of a recent shipment, lose the package alltogether!

New Zealand is extremely fast as well, 4-6 days.

Australia is just behind, taking about a week.

Now for the bottom of the list. Canada is BY FAR the SLOWEST - taking 1-3 WEEKS for packages to get up there.

Asked this in our coin thread, but thought it may get more attention and responses in a separate thread. Is there usually a variance in how long shipping can take?

Some of my orders got to BC in a few days, others sent at the same time to Ontario have not arrived.

Some of the orders to Europe got there in the same week, others haven't arrived almost two weeks later.

Is this something I should be worried about, or is it normal?

Having sent somewhere between 750 and 1000 coin envelopes from Canada to places all over the world. Assuming you have correct postage and customs paperwork...

Expect most (75%) to arrive in about 5-7 business days.

Some (20%) will take 8-15 business days.

A few (3%) will take 16-25 business days.

Very few (1%) will take about 30 business days.

Of those, about 1% will also be damaged in transit (possibly with the contents removed)

I've never had any envelope go missing or take longer than 30 business days.

In my experience, both with geocoins and QSL cards for ham radio, mail to UK/France/Spain/Italy is reasonably fast (almost invariably faster than mail to USA). Mail to Germany/Denmark/Netherlands is often slower than mail to Australia.

Mail to Canada is weird because of the geography of Canada. Unlike the USA, we don't have people on every square inch of dirt <_< There are communities so remote in Canada that they don't even have a word that means "remote". Canada Post operates a number of sorting centres (Vancouver / Winnipeg / Toronto / Ottawa / Montreal / Halifax, I think). So if your package is destined for southwest BC, Manitoba, the Windsor - Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal - Quebec City corridor, or Halifax it will get there pretty promptly.

However, if it's destined for Goddamniliveinthesticks, ON then it's going on a truck and could take forever. You can drive continuously from Toronto for 24 hours and still not be out of Ontario (actually depending on traffic, you might not even be out of Toronto, but that's another issue <_< ) In fact, some Ontario mail is going to come out of the Winnipeg sorting centre. I would expect +3 days minimum to get mail to Churchill, MB for example, and at least +2 days for Timmins, ON.

Edited by geoSquid

From your place to mine in Northern Manitoba 7 days. Not bad for the Queens pony express riders. For me to mail a letter from here to Ottawa is 4 days...for a package from ottawa to here is 7 days...so go figure...Vancouver to here average 6 days...California to here 2-3 weeks...I have this issue with customs...they hate me; can't get a package across without them delaying it for some reason....Has had Pkgs from California take as much as a month to month an a half to get here.