Aquacache?

There are already too many aquacaches out there now, thanks to the poor choices of containers used and the difficulty in finding one the DOESN'T leak, let alone putting one underwater. Make sure the logbook, all paper inside is waterproof.

I'm not even going to mention the environment thing about disturbing a water course, etc.

dutchmaster

This works best if you use a flow through container, no attempt to keep it dry. A dive slate will work for a log, and just stick with swag that can go in the water. Coins are good. I have an expensive battery canister for underwater dive lights in service as a cache. People have to keep the seal clean when opening and closing, it has to be properly weighted, the water levels fluctuations create buoyancy problems.

Just go with a wet cache - all problems solved.

I agree with Isonzo Karst. To make the log more permanent, use the write-under-water paper from "Rite-in-the-rain". It's a synthetic paper and you can literally write on it while underwater. Fold and sew yourself a log book, use a weighted container, and you're set.

I'd check the area for potential flooding first, though. Just because it's a nice friendly little stream now doesn't mean it doesn't turn into a raging torrent durring spring and summer thunderstorms. The tree roots and logs caught in trees 10 feet above your head would be a good indication of this. :anibad:

I'd check the area for potential flooding first, though. Just because it's a nice friendly little stream now doesn't mean it doesn't turn into a raging torrent durring spring and summer thunderstorms. The tree roots and logs caught in trees 10 feet above your head would be a good indication of this.

This is a real issue in many streams. You might have to anchor the cache to something somewhat permanent like a tree root. Even attaching it to something heavy like a cinder block might not work if the river floods.

One option is to place a waterproof tag of some sort underwater with coordinates of a cache that is hidden nearby on dry land. That way you don't have to worry about a wet logbook or contents.

I've recently placed one, as it has not been done in my neck of the woods.

Container is a weighted PVC pipe with screw on caps (and teflon tape), with a water tight test tube inside, which contains the log in a plastic bag. Cache is attached to a stake on land with fishing line. The observant cacher should see the fishing line. The hint is "Gone fishin".

If there are problems with it, I will remove and archive.

Flooding is not an issue for my cache. However, caches can always be replaced.

Great idea . I was also thinking of creating a aquacache too. This would be different .

OH DEER :cry: I like the big postal bags/cache containers, need more of them, hint, nudge. I'm thinking any aquacache in Canada wouldn't be very winter friendly, unless peering down through the ice at it would be an option.

dutchmaster

Here in the water-rich Netherlands I know of a cache in a lake (recreational area) where, in the

summer, you can swim. Under water is a floating cannister suspended on a wire connected to

something very heavy. So the cache floats two meters (six feet) under water. You have to swim

and dive :laughing: , attach a wire/floating bottle to it, unhook the cache. Go ashore and log. Swim back,

unhook your own contraption (so you can find the under water hook again) and replace the cache.

Want to try it this summer (don't have a wet suit). Idea?

[hope my english is understandable :lol: ], cache nr = GCX2YW

Good luck!

Here in the water-rich Netherlands I know of a cache in a lake (recreational area) where, in the

summer, you can swim. Under water is a floating cannister suspended on a wire connected to

something very heavy. So the cache floats two meters (six feet) under water. You have to swim

and dive :wub: , attach a wire/floating bottle to it, unhook the cache. Go ashore and log. Swim back,

unhook your own contraption (so you can find the under water hook again) and replace the cache.

Want to try it this summer (don't have a wet suit). Idea?

[hope my english is understandable :D ], cache nr = GCX2YW

Good luck!

your english is very good and this sounds like an excellent cache - love the water!!!!

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/abae964d-9...b738c70ecaf.jpg[/img]='Mar 26 2007, 04:13 AM' post='2783079']

I've recently placed one, as it has not been done in my neck of the woods.

Container is a weighted PVC pipe with screw on caps (and teflon tape), with a water tight test tube inside, which contains the log in a plastic bag. Cache is attached to a stake on land with fishing line. The observant cacher should see the fishing line. The hint is "Gone fishin".

If there are problems with it, I will remove and archive.

Flooding is not an issue for my cache. However, caches can always be replaced.

Hey, that IS a great idea to place a water tight-test tube inside for a log book.

We've placed a few hydro caches; 1NatureDad is a plumber by trade. All but 1 has held up for 2 years being submirged. When I do maintence in a few weeks, I'll add that test tube & rite-n-rain paper.

Here's a pix of the caches that ARE surviving: 1ND tells me he made them by cementing a long eye hook thru a brick in one end to tie to a tree with a rope, and the other end/opening is a marque plug.

abae964d-902e-4929-a3fd-db738c70ecaf.jpg

Edited by 1NatureMom