Hiders remorse

Kryten

In the same way that "buyers remorse" is the regret that kicks in shortly after buying something, does anybody else return from a hiding trip and then only once back home decide that it's not a good hide and have to return to recover the box.

Is it possible to short circuit the process by recognising the bad ones immediately and avoid that return trip.

In the same way that "buyers remorse" is the regret that kicks in shortly after buying something, does anybody else return from a hiding trip and then only once back home decide that it's not a good hide and have to return to recover the box.

Is it possible to short circuit the process by recognising the bad ones immediately and avoid that return trip.

I usually plot and plan for weeks to months on end, so I never regret placing a cache. I've been working on my 100th placed cache for 1 year. Aircraft wreck sites require lots of research, especially when your cache has at least six wreck sites to visit. :anitongue:

I usually plot and plan for weeks to months on end, so I never regret placing a cache. I've been working on my 100th placed cache for 1 year. Aircraft wreck sites require lots of research, especially when your cache has at least six wreck sites to visit. :anitongue:

I found an aircraft wreck site last fall. It was near the Pacific Crest Trail.

I wish I knew more about it. All I know is that it was a Navy plane and pretty old as all the trees were healed and no sign of tree damage.

I wish I knew more about it. All I know is that it was a Navy plane and pretty old as all the trees were healed and no sign of tree damage.

Check here. They are arranged by year, but perhaps if you did a search using the town's name where the site is you'd have some luck.

Edited to add: Hmm... I did a search for Washington in military crashes & it only came up with Air Force and Marines. Another useful site.

Edited by Too Tall John

I've been wanting to place my first cache. This past week I got some containers and have painted them to be able to hide them a little better. There is a general area which isn't very cache dense, so I found some area parks that don't have caches (as the county doesn't require the whole permission/forms business). I did some drive-by's last week and like the terrain.

So today I went out with the box and hid one. After hiding, I was a little unsure about the closeness to nearby homes but thought it'd be okay. Then after I got back to the car, I started thinking I shouldn't have left it. But, I didn't want to go back in because of people in the area.

Then I went to a second location and didn't bring the cache with me. I really liked that location better. So, I think I might go back tomorrow and grab the one and take it to the other place.

Kinda sucks. The whole area is dominated by housing neighborhoods. Only recently have there been requirements to set aside park space (and that method has been criticized as well). I know some other cachers in the area who are worried about whats allowed and whats not. So they haven't placed any. I don't really want to stick a couple LPCs out there just to get something in the area. I want to have quality caches. Kinda frustrating..

I've never returned right away, but there have been a few that I archived after a few weeks or months because I thought they were lame.

I have done the same.I do have 1 cache I am going to retreave in the near future.Not because its lame but because I somehow deleted the coords from my GPS.It is a 3 mile hike to a lake.I placed it a year ago but have decided not to list it at its current location.

I've never returned right away, but there have been a few that I archived after a few weeks or months because I thought they were lame.

I have done the same.I do have 1 cache I am going to retreave in the near future.Not because its lame but because I somehow deleted the coords from my GPS.It is a 3 mile hike to a lake.I placed it a year ago but have decided not to list it at its current location.

I have two in the field right now that aren't listed cuz when I got home and looked at Google Maps I thought I could do something better. My first cache was a multi with no point but it took me a year to recognize that it was the worst cache in the area and pull it!

Once or twice. I hid one that had a great title and provided plenty of meat for a pretty cool cache page, but there just wasn't a spot that I liked enough to put the container-even for an urban micro! :anibad:

Another one is a pretty cool urban camo for a container, but after using it twice I've decided to retire the idea. It just doesn't fit with what I think geocaching should be.

My first couple cache hides were very basic. Just an ammo can in a wooded area of a couple local parks. My experience has increased my ability to be creative in my hides, my camo and my write ups. While I don't feel remorse for my early attempts, I recognized that I could do better. My only absolute rule regarding a new hide is; "Never hide a cache on the day you came up with the idea". By following this rule, I've been able to improve every hide I've created, sometimes just a little improvement, other times a vast improvement. Many of these initial concepts would have been inbearably lame had I not pondered them for a few days.

I recently went through a spate of missing or damaged cache containers that had me wondering if hiding any at all was worthwhile.

Caches that go missing can be due to several causes, even natural. But caches that get terminally damaged by ham-fisted, uncaring or just stupid cachers really galls my hide. Especially when the cache is unique, clever and carefully crafted. I've replaced or repaired two in the past few weeks, one of which was just plain broken by some gorilla who resorted to prying the cache apart rather than simply removing the cover. Moron.

Sure is disheartening that some people cannot treat stuff as if it were their own.

That said, I have another unique one in works that I'll be placing as soon as I find the ideal spot. So I suppose the addiction is more powerful than the drawbacks. Rant mode off.

I usually plot and plan for weeks to months on end, so I never regret placing a cache. I've been working on my 100th placed cache for 1 year. Aircraft wreck sites require lots of research, especially when your cache has at least six wreck sites to visit. :sad:

Are you referring to High O' Silver (GCGJW2)? That's a great cache-did it last Fall also. Sad about the plane crash victims though.

I've been wanting to place my first cache. This past week I got some containers and have painted them to be able to hide them a little better. There is a general area which isn't very cache dense, so I found some area parks that don't have caches (as the county doesn't require the whole permission/forms business). I did some drive-by's last week and like the terrain.

So today I went out with the box and hid one. After hiding, I was a little unsure about the closeness to nearby homes but thought it'd be okay. Then after I got back to the car, I started thinking I shouldn't have left it. But, I didn't want to go back in because of people in the area.

Then I went to a second location and didn't bring the cache with me. I really liked that location better. So, I think I might go back tomorrow and grab the one and take it to the other place.

Kinda sucks. The whole area is dominated by housing neighborhoods. Only recently have there been requirements to set aside park space (and that method has been criticized as well). I know some other cachers in the area who are worried about whats allowed and whats not. So they haven't placed any. I don't really want to stick a couple LPCs out there just to get something in the area. I want to have quality caches. Kinda frustrating..

My advice as a fellow newby, just 8 caches hid, is that if you have a decent spot and the cache location would not present hazards to searchers, then just place the cache, hide it as best you can, and don't worry about it. Some people will have fun looking for it, which is what this is all about. Try to do better the next time. If it gets muggled, then you decide whether it is worth replacing. Having no caches is far worse than the occasional lame cache.

I've got a couple of those. So far I've resisted the temptation to archive, but I haven't made the necessary upgrades to cammo since the foliage died back, hoping they'd get muggled. They've gone unscathed so far, but I'm still waiting.

This is a funny topic to stumble upon today, because I have one hidden right now that I am going to return to and move the container just a bit. Problem is that it is about 40 miles from home and getting there will a bit of a hassle during the week. I hate it when reality gets in the way of my caching! :laughing:

Well after this log I'm starting to wonder whether I picked a crappy spot (pun intended). This certainly wasn't quite the type of "log" I expected a muggle to leave at one of my caches.

The log made veiled references to something gross in the hiding spot. A quick email to CCCooper Agency verified my suspicions. There was used TP in the hidey hole. Talk about a "Needs Maintenance" log.

I am somewhat astounded by and downright grateful to Lynn of the CCCooper Agency. She removed the offending material from the area. I'm not sure I would have been as a-commode-ating. :laughing:

This partcular cache can be accessed from either side and apparently, according to Lynn, one side resembles a john, although I don't recall it looking that way. This gives new meaning to the term "toilet-tree". It also makes me wonder whether this was a one-time, random occurence.

I haven't been able to get out to the site. Lynn found it several days ago, but didn't log it until today. (I keep laughing every time I write the word log. Am I immature, or what?)

Another cacher found it today and made no mention of the problem so Lynn must have done a good job. I'll check it out for myself this week. I may have to move it.