Where is the most "cache rich" location on Earth?

I was looking at the section of this site that shows recent articles in the press on Geocaching and one article said there were 300 caches within a 5 miles radius of Stanford University! I found this incredible; we live barely north of New York City, yet there's maybe only 30 or so in our 5 mile radius (though I've heard that the NJ and Long Island portions of this vast area have more in the way of caches in a close area so that may be why too). But I plugged in Stanford's zip code into a cache search and it was more or less correct!

This made me wonder if that area is the most cache saturated area in the US, and perhaps (I'm assuming it would be in the US) the world. Maybe it makes sense that it would be in the Bay Area (and more precisely "Silicon Valley"), given how like geocaching itself it is an area that really combines a "techie" culture with weather and scenic beauty that just begs you to go outdoors and take a hike! Or maybe it's the Seattle area, where it all began! Maybe its on the East Coast, say the Boston area, which perhaps is the East Coast's version of the "techie-outdoor" culture of a Seattle or Silicon Valley.

What are your thoughts? Or does someone there know the answer. I'd love to hear what you think!

Quality not quantity is my definiton of being rich. A good hike to an awesome place is a lot better that 15 LPC's per mile.

Given that I tend to see caching mostly as a way to see great parks and views that I never knew of otherwise, I tend to agree, but I was still curious. Of course, I can imagine (judging from some posts since that's the only way I'd know) how people in western Nebraska or parts of Montana feel when there's just a few caches within 100 miles of them, and then mostly because of one single local who was nice enough to do a few hides.

Thanks for your responses everyone! And while it's true that distance can matter in a comparison, I was thinking within a 5 mile radius.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Quality not quantity is my definiton of being rich. A good hike to an awesome place is a lot better that 15 LPC's per mile.

I completely agree with you, but this depends on your goals in the game. If you like high find numbers, or if you don't have the opportunity or time to travel to the awesome places, then the micros every .1 mile in an urban setting can be good things.

Personally, I started getting disconcerted when I realized that most of my finds were micros in parking lot lamp posts. :anibad: Then I realized that it wasn't about the numbers, it was about having fun, so I stopped worrying about trying to make sure I found at least one cache a day. Now I do more vetting of the caches I attempt, and bring my 2-year old along with me for weekend hunts. :laughing: However, I still spend a little time now and then on the local LPC's (some of which actually state in the description that there is no point to this cache other than an easy find). Numbers DO matter, at least a little bit. :anibad:

I was looking at the section of this site that shows recent articles in the press on Geocaching and one article said there were 300 caches within a 5 miles radius of Stanford University! I found this incredible; we live barely north of New York City, yet there's maybe only 30 or so in our 5 mile radius (though I've heard that the NJ and Long Island portions of this vast area have more in the way of caches in a close area so that may be why too). But I plugged in Stanford's zip code into a cache search and it was more or less correct!

This made me wonder if that area is the most cache saturated area in the US, and perhaps (I'm assuming it would be in the US) the world. Maybe it makes sense that it would be in the Bay Area (and more precisely "Silicon Valley"), given how like geocaching itself it is an area that really combines a "techie" culture with weather and scenic beauty that just begs you to go outdoors and take a hike! Or maybe it's the Seattle area, where it all began! Maybe its on the East Coast, say the Boston area, which perhaps is the East Coast's version of the "techie-outdoor" culture of a Seattle or Silicon Valley.

What are your thoughts? Or does someone there know the answer. I'd love to hear what you think!

I feel lucky where I live. There are only 44 within a 5 mile radius, however, based on the descriptions of where they are (i am new to the sport so have not found many) they all sound great. I have lived in Southern new england my whole life and love the nature out here. So i consider my turf to be pretty cache rich. i guess its all perception. :lol:

Southern Vancouver Island..especially greater Victoria...caches are everywhere

I would imagine for reasons similar to California and the Seattle area that that would definitely be the Canadian "champ" in this category (and again, maybe the world, I don't mean to assume that the answer would be in the States), thanks for noting!