Placement question

racatv

Just wondering..when they say "don't place near dams or bridges" how many feet are they talking about. Say for example would 300' awy from a dam be okay?

I wouldn't place a cache anywhere near a dam. Even with permission!

I did have permission to place one 100' from a dam at a public overlook just below it, but chose not to because I didn't want to be responsible for some one calling the authorities seeing someone wandering near the dam with a GPS, even if the manager did give me permission.

All dams in the U.S. have been alerted to take extra security precautions due to heightened security issues.

At the seven dams I sometimes do maintenance work at there are now fences, razor wire and cameras placed. The guy monitoring may not be able to tell what you are doing and may not be at or near the facility. At one facility he is 1000 miles from the dam. He watches all cameras from all 7 dams at the main offices 40- 100 miles from the dams

If it an area open to the public I might do it but not close (over 500' for me).

Just wondering..when they say "don't place near dams or bridges" how many feet are they talking about. Say for example would 300' awy from a dam be okay?

Say though it's just a small dam in a public area, where tons of people fish. and there's a parking area for the public and it's on the other side of the parking lot than the dam...?

The answer is, "it depends." How big of a dam? Is it a hydroelectric power dam? Is it a flood control dam? What is the topography and land use in the immediate area of the dam? The answers to these questions will influence the reviewer's judgement in each case.

If you want a quick way to sway a reviewer's judgement, obtain permission from the land manager, and state this on your cache page.

If you don't like the idea of subjective judgement being involved, pick a spot that's not near a dam.

300' would probalby be fine. If they think it's a likely target they will have fenced it off. Even if the road on top saves you from a 20 mile drive to get to the other side.

There can be exceptions if you carefully explain it to the reviewer (maybe with a picture).

Our first hide was under the 150' rule for being near railroad tracks. But the hide was at the bottom of a very steep hill and the tracks had a fence. There was really no other good hiding space in that park so a picture and explanation to the reviewer convinced him the cache would be OK.

Yes, photos are really helpful. I will assume that every dam is Hoover Dam until someone demonstrates that it's a fishing pond. Photos show that a lot better than words. I might allow a cache 300 feet away from a fishing pond, but not 300 feet away from a hydroelectric dam.

Tip: Upload any "private" photos to a reviewer note, NOT as part of the cache page. Reviewer notes and their associated images are deleted automatically when a cache is published. Reviewers do not have the ability to delete images uploaded directly to the cache page, so uploads to the page will only delay publication of your cache.